Escape to the Movies: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I had the Ryu and Blanka Street Fighter Joe's. Nothing special about them, they froze over night in a cup of water just like the others did. Huh, you know what's odd now that I remember it? I did the same to Storm Shadow, but he survived. Weird.

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
Did they blow most of the money in paying for the cast? It's still a $135 million budget movie, even if that's not the same as the first's $175 million (which honestly still looked kind of bad).

In any case, I'm trying to forget the first movie existed. "So bad it's good" only works when it's entertaining to watch despite the badness.

Korskarn said:
I'm still not sure that the delay was worth the double set of advertising, the 3D "upgrade", and the carrying costs... I suspect even the unofficial accounting books will show this in the red even if it tops $400mil worldwide.
With a film like this, it's hard to say. It's the type of film where they can get toy manufacturers and other merchandise companies to help finance cross-promotional campaigns, which reduces the financial burden on the studio-distributor. That said, they may have burned all that in the first (aborted) marketing campaign, in which case you're probably right - it would take a $400-500 million worldwide return to hit break-even in theaters.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Let not forget the entire Military Chain of Command thing too, What the hell was Lady Jay, a Marine 1st Lieutenant, taking orders from an Army Sargent Major?

If they're going to do the whole Military/Child-hood Toy/Cartoon Nostalgia shtick, at least try and make some of it make sense.

I mean seriously, after the events of the first movie, Duke should have gotten a promotion to at least major (Never mind the fact that in the first film he's wearing the Insignia of one, while Identifying as a Captain).

And killing him off sucked hard core

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I saw this yesterday and I actually enjoyed this movie.
I mean I liked number one, I knew what to expect from number 2, and got pretty much what I thought I would get, so no harm done.
+ Ray Park (Snake Eyes and Darth Maul) is always awesome in his *no talk just awesome martial art fight scenes characters*

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Handful of dudes....fighting a handful of dudes....

Did you never play with GI Joes?

Im starting to dislike Moviebob...might have need of some other video to replace Friday after a movie about whores (Spring Breakers) was 4deep5u and was mind blowing movie material

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
I suspect that the reason why Dwayne Johnson played Roadblock instead of "The Rock" may have more to do with the makers of this movie not wanting anything to do with the lawyers at the WWE than with wanting to add more juice to this movie. Sergeant Slaughter was an established wrestler when he joined the then WWF. In fact, Slaughter left the WWF over a dispute involving his part in the G.I. Joe show. (That last bit is on the ProWrestling wiki.)

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
The Rock as the Rock in that movie would have been ace!

Cobra wins, and in the silence of the newly won battle you just hear "IF YA SMEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL".

And then the rock just hits everyone in the back of the head with a steel chair.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I got to see this movie earlier today. It bogs some. Joe unit is tiny, especially compared to the city sized unit it was in the first movie. Some scenes that are supposed to be thrilling struck me as perfunctory. They were dull and I couldn't wait for them to be over.

A small number of scenes are so good they almost make this worth the price of admission. Some very original plot points that are just plain fun, and some CGI that made me want to leap out of my seat and cheer.

And the Rock is NOT Steven Seagal. He doesn't just fight flabby girly men so he looks good. He fights one guy in particular that Bob thinks was a throw away character. I thought him terrific fun and the stuff between him and the Rock was very good.

I like it as much as Part 1, but for different reasons. This a a C+ kind of movie. Much of it looks cheap. Much of it bogs. Sometimes there is way TOO much character development. I really didn't need to hear Lady Jane's back story for instance. But there are laughs and fun scenery to goggle. I've had worse times.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
DeMorquist said:
...might have need of some other video to replace Friday after a movie about whores (Spring Breakers) was 4deep5u and was mind blowing movie material
Ah yes because any woman that partakes in spring break celebrations is a "whore", real classy. I bet you're not seeing the movie because "wah I was bullied!"

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Well, even if Bob says: 'meh' then I'm going to see it. Not that I going to see a Shakespearian performance from Bruce Willis like usual but hell, action is still action and the less evolved part of my male brain likes that.

And for those who are already gathering a posse to hang Michael Bay, when it comes to the TMNT screen shot at the end: It is only for a TMNT game, not the film. When the film is out, then you can grab the pitchforks and torches to hang (and possibly burn) the village idiot.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Wow, never knew that SF2 and GI.Joe teamed up in the states.
I was a pretty big fan of both but that never made it over to Europe.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
tobimaro said:
I suspect that the reason why Dwayne Johnson played Roadblock instead of "The Rock" may have more to do with the makers of this movie not wanting anything to do with the lawyers at the WWE than with wanting to add more juice to this movie. Sergeant Slaughter was an established wrestler when he joined the then WWF. In fact, Slaughter left the WWF over a dispute involving his part in the G.I. Joe show. (That last bit is on the ProWrestling wiki.)
They could call him "The Stone" haha

As for my opinion on the movie, the small budget really got to me. I never really liked the first one, but in this one, I was like "Wait, what happened to the other 5 guys from the team? I thought GI Joe was an international thing, not only a US thing?"

And as crazy as it sounds, I was a little disappointed that Tanning Chatum was killed, maybe it would have been a better movie if he were in it

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Just got back from the theatre myself.

To address a point or two, President Zartan does say that he dispatched his COBRA units to dismantle G.I Joe and all of their bases of operation. It's just all that we see on screen is the air strike to destroy Duke and his team.

But that's just nitpicking. A fair point is still a fair point and there are chunks of the story that scream out for explanation.

For example, what happened to Scarlet and how is Storm Shadow not ++dead?

Mr. Bob's pretty much on the money for this one. It's not a bad movie and I respect it for trying to remain truer to the source material, but the narrowed scope is noticeable.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Haven't seen the movie yet because I was out of town. But it sounds like the stuff we have to deal with in cartoons of a small cast in something that was a much bigger universe back in the 80's. Sure we didn't get every Autobot, GI Joe, Decepticon, or Cobra every week, but characters rotated enough over a few episodes to make the fictional universe feel huge.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
You know, part of me wanders why they didn't get Charlie Adler to voice Cobra commander again. I mean, cmon, gotta admit he did a pretty damned good Cobra Commander:

Who knows, maybe the other voice will surprise me but, from what i've heard in a preview, it was a bit so-so compared to Adler.

OT: I'll take a look at the movie in any case, I watched some of the old GI joe stuff back when i was a kid so i should probably go see it when i can.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Bob. just watched the movie. Your know the whole canon thing about the city/base and then in this movie nothing? There is a moment where one soldier at the extraction point says "can you contact base?" and the reply "negative" or something like that.

What i think happened. The main task force was sent on the mission. thats like 20-50 people. the leader and everyone. while they were busy doing that the main base got taken out. and then they as the last remaining group were ambushed. thus the movie.

but thats just my take.