Escape to the Movies: Gangster Squad

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Damn, maybe that Ruben Fleischer guy was a one-trick pony then.
I really liked Zombieland, but wasn't keen on 30 Minutes or Less at all.
A pity really- I thought this movie had potential.

deathbeforedecaf

Oct 26, 2008
UNHchabo said:
deathbeforedecaf said:
Spaec said:
For those who had high hopes for this movie or just like the time period; L.A. Confidential (from '98) is absolutely great. Look it up!
he really should have mentioned this film in the review as an example of doing it right.The untouchables, really? not even half as good as LA Confidential
He brought up The Untouchables as a "how to do it right" example of a gangster-themed simple action movie. LA Confidential is intentionally more complex.
yeah, fair enough.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Milanezi said:
Safaia said:
They cut the entire movie theater scene? I thought they were just putting off the release until everything calmed down. Ugh, I wanted this to be good because I love this genre and I'm really disappointed it's a dud.
Basically it's one of those "wait for the Blu-Ray UNCUT edition" movies I guess... But by then we all might have our attention elsewhere...
Exactly. I'll look for an uncut version to nab at Redbox or stream. Otherwise, it sounds like you are essentially seeing an incomplete version of the movie. I only want to pass judgement on the intended product.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Screw you MovieBob, I'm a Coen Brothers Fanboy. What is this, the High hat? Of course I know who Jon Polito is...sheesh.

Broz

Nov 30, 2010
Where as for those of us in the UK this is the period that we had to wait till for Zero Dark Thirty, Cloud Atlas and Wreck It Ralph...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Hey Bob, why didn't you review Hitchcock? I know it's last year's movie, but it seems more worthy of being reviewed than, well, this pile of crap.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
On the Subject of The Expendables and Bullet to the Head...and while we're on the subject The Last Stand.

Please don't let this be the opening salvo in an onslaught of every single cast member of those two god awful films starring in solo projects that all boil down to "I may be old, but I can still punch a guy in the face."

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
You said what I expect of it. Though thank you for mentioning Bugsy Malone. I can go cheek that out with a friend, instead of going to see Ganster Squad.

persona J

May 25, 2009
Seriously bob, liking a stallone movie but no gangster squad? It's like you don't want anybody's respect. I think your a hack now. Go do something else.

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
persona J said:
Seriously bob, liking a stallone movie but no gangster squad? It's like you don't want anybody's respect. I think your a hack now. Go do something else.
It's "you're", not "your", and if you don't like him, maybe you should go do something else. Also, why would he like Gangster Squad? He stated why he didn't like it.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I went into the movie with no previous knowledge of it except that it was a gangster movie and I've never got on with gangster movies.

I enjoyed it.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Diddy_Mao said:
On the Subject of The Expendables and Bullet to the Head...and while we're on the subject The Last Stand.

Please don't let this be the opening salvo in an onslaught of every single cast member of those two god awful films starring in solo projects that all boil down to "I may be old, but I can still punch a guy in the face."
It is. Enter: "A Good Day to Die Hard" [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606378/]

and hey, at least that new Universal Soldier movie takes care of two of them.