Escape to the Movies: Godzilla - Breaking Kaiju

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Sounds like they took everything about the classic Godzilla movies -the terrible human drama, the awesome monster battles- and multiplied them by the same ratios as the difference between the budgets- the budget is a hundred times as large, the terrible human drama is a hundred times as terrible and the aweseome monster battles are a hundred times as awesome. Only they got the ratios a bit off, so the terrible human drama ends up totally overshadowing the awesome monster battles to the point where they make the movie almost unwatchable.

Tragic really. I think I'll just skip this one and watch the climactic actions scenes when they leak onto YouTube later this year.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
You know what was a good example of suspense? The ORIGINAL Godzilla. Like within this film, you don't see the monster for the first half of the movie, but it's filled with interesting characters trying to unravel what the fuck is going on, building up slowly till they find out what is happening and how utterly screwed they all are.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Gerardo Vazquez said:
katsabas said:
So much negativity stemming off Bob these days I think I will be confusing him with Yahtzee at some point. Can anybody give me an example of a reboot he actually liked ? Any reboot. Ι am getting a feeling that he is so attached to his childhood memories that if someone so much as tries to alter them and create something new, he is 100% against it and on day one.

Edit: just came back from seeing it. Yeah, Bob likes to blow things out of proportion when it comes to childhood memories. The human story wasn't nearly as bad as he made it out to be. Also, Johnson and Olsen ? They did fine, they weren't given a lot to do in this movie. In fact, the entirety of their lines could be written down in a couple of pages I think. And THAT's what has Bob's wand in a knot about Age of Ultron ? With Whedon directing it ?

Overreacting much ?
While I'm not entirely against reboots, and I think some are good films in their own right, I'm also pretty peeved when people defend them by going "The ONLY reason you hate ~Insert name of Reboot~ is because you're so attached to the original, and can't recognize this for the good film it is.". While hating reboots for the sake of hating reboots is bad accusing people of only disliking them, because they're reboots, and not because they have glaring flaws isn't much better.
I would not be thinking that if Bob actually shared reboots he liked but up to this point, that number is zero. So, there's nothing this far that will convince me otherwise.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
I actually thought that once it got to the monster fight it did a good job of portraying the humans as the ants among gods that they were. That whole nuke plot though it just seemed like they needed the main character to have something to do.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Why can't the military just ask that the studios donate a chunk of the profits to veterans instead? I'm becoming bored of the US military.
Because doing so wouldn't be a tool in convincing young, able bodied Americans with limited prospects that signing up for a tour of duty if the way to go. So instead you end up with this not so subtle "join the military and when the world goes to shit, you'll be HALO jumping into the middle of it in order to save the day." Giving money to the veterans that served does nothing to help me recruitment quotas. Now, convincing folks that they're the world's only hope against Godzilla, THAT's something you can leverage

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Just been to see Godzilla.

What bugged me wasn't the human story. There isn't enough of it in the film. All Elizabeth olsen had to do was look panicked a bit.

What bugged me was what I refer to as 'call of duty fetishism'

When the US military assists in a production of a film, loaning hardware etc, they usually insist on some sort of imput. More and more it seems to become some sort of insidious propaganda piece where regardless of the situation the US military must play some part in saving the day. It was previously most noticeable in Transformers but those movies sucked.

Here it was really bugging me as the whole point is that humans are fairly ineffective against Godzilla, yet the film had the US military ignore key facts about the mutos for no other reason than an excuse for the script to have the marines drop into the middle of the action and help save the day mid kaiju fight.

Literally the epic battle between Godzilla and the mutos is kicking off and the film CUTS AWAY to the trailers now infamous Halo drop sequence. The end battle becomes something in the background to add flavor to the military heroism.

Why can't the military just ask that the studios donate a chunk of the profits to veterans instead? I'm becoming bored of the US military.
Agreed, they just kept PUSHING the military. It totally ruined,in my opinion, what little good the movie had.

Gerardo Vazquez

Sep 28, 2013
katsabas said:
Gerardo Vazquez said:
katsabas said:
So much negativity stemming off Bob these days I think I will be confusing him with Yahtzee at some point. Can anybody give me an example of a reboot he actually liked ? Any reboot. Ι am getting a feeling that he is so attached to his childhood memories that if someone so much as tries to alter them and create something new, he is 100% against it and on day one.

Edit: just came back from seeing it. Yeah, Bob likes to blow things out of proportion when it comes to childhood memories. The human story wasn't nearly as bad as he made it out to be. Also, Johnson and Olsen ? They did fine, they weren't given a lot to do in this movie. In fact, the entirety of their lines could be written down in a couple of pages I think. And THAT's what has Bob's wand in a knot about Age of Ultron ? With Whedon directing it ?

Overreacting much ?
While I'm not entirely against reboots, and I think some are good films in their own right, I'm also pretty peeved when people defend them by going "The ONLY reason you hate ~Insert name of Reboot~ is because you're so attached to the original, and can't recognize this for the good film it is.". While hating reboots for the sake of hating reboots is bad accusing people of only disliking them, because they're reboots, and not because they have glaring flaws isn't much better.
I would not be thinking that if Bob actually shared reboots he liked but up to this point, that number is zero. So, there's nothing this far that will convince me otherwise.
It could just be that all the reboots Bob has reviewed have noteworthy flaws that prevent Bob from enjoying than, rather than him simply not liking them because they're reboots, but I'm not Bob so I can't espouse his opinions and it hardly matters to me what you think of his opinion. Having just seen the film last night I can say I agree with some of Bob's points, Kickass and Scarlet Witch have too much screen time compared to Bryan Cranston and Ichiro Serizawa who are the films most interesting human characters. I agree that they're fine actors, and simply weren't given much to do but not giving them much to do is a fault of the writing and thus a strike against the film. I ultimately wasn't hung up on Godzilla's motivation like Bob was and the action ultimately bumped the a 6/10 movie to an 8/10 movie. Fun to watch the first time but would wait until I can rent it on DVD and skip straight to the fight scene rather than watch it again like Winter Soldier.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
katsabas said:
Gerardo Vazquez said:
katsabas said:

Overreacting much ?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7093-Evil-Dead

There you go.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I just came out of this movie and I have to say I am blown away in almost the same way I was when I walked out of Man of Steel.
Oh my god, I went in expecting to have a great time and I am now walking out unable to believe just how BOOOORING that movie was. I can?t even believe I am saying that because I?m the guy who loves Superman Returns and Hulk which everyone condemns as boring movies (to which I say grow up a little)

Holy shit this has got to be one of the most miserable experiences I have ever had at the theatre. Uuugh I can hardly even articulate a proper sentence when it comes to trying to express the aggravation this movie is making me feel.

Why the fuck did they think I would give a crap about the people in this movie stop teasing the title character and give me my monster brawls! That?s how these work damn it. The meeting fight, the Godzilla gets his ass kicked fight, then the all out society devastating climax. Instead we just get a tease of the beginning of these fights and then cut to the aftermath. WHAT?!

I will say though, the last 15 minutes were awesome. That?s what I wanted to see from the start damn it why did they take so god damn long everything about the ending was great.
Honestly this movie makes the 1998 one look like a solid Godzilla movie. At least he wasn?t fucking camera shy in that movie!

*sigh* I don?t know guys, maybe I was just spoiled by Pacific Rim?
I really didn?t want to come out of the theatre feeling this way towards this movie :*( it?s not fair.
Everyone else is enjoying it why couldn?t I >.<

Steven Golden

Mar 26, 2011
I wouldn't say I completely disagree with Bob's review, but I do disagree with the larger points.

While Aaron Taylor-Johnson isn't great as Ford, he does a decent job of what he's given considering most of what he does in the movie is be an emotionally stunted soldier trying not to get squashed like a bug by angry kaiju. Elizabeth Olsen really isn't given much to do and she's already proven she's a great actress (Martha Mary May Marlene is a testament to this). Considering Johannson was the weakest link in Avengers, yet her performance didn't derail the movie, I doubt Johnson or Olsen turning in subpar performances in Age of Ultron will derail that movie either.

I do agree that Cranston exiting the movie early was a mistake, as he was severely underused (because he did help make the most important and artistic achievement in human history several years ago when his character started wearing a hat, dammit). As was Watanabe, who I thought should have had a larger role other than "stereotypical Japanese scientist" aka every scientist in every Godzilla movie.

I do find it odd that Bob brought up Pacific Rim, considering most of the things he found wrong with Godzilla can easily be applied to Pacific Rim (and I say this a huge fan of Pacific Rim): The main character are bland as hell (even more so, if you ask me), the character that's hyped up in the teasers is underused (Idris Elba), and a vast majority of the movie revolves around human drama and less interesting storylines (everything before Gipsy Danger starts punching monsters, and Charlie Day's entire subplot).

All that said, the whole little diatribe about how other film critics opinions about the movie are obnoxious is what really rubbed me the wrong way (even more so than that snipe at Breaking Bad). It comes off as downright unprofessional, if not childish and it lowers my opinion of Bob as a reviewer.

Also - it's just not fair to compare this to Jaws in any way, that's like comparing a brownie to a souffle.

Richard Norley

Jan 22, 2010
I could not stand that Ford Brody was put in these clear death situations but always came out on top.. and with no gratefulness for it. He was indeed completely plastic and boring.

I also could not stand that Godzilla was magnetically attracted to the Mutos with no clear explanation.

-But, I can put these both aside for the real crime this film committed:
Putting some of the best moments it has to offer... into recaps on news reports with silly headlines. :(

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I think Bob summed up everything about this movie pretty well. Watching dead-eyed military guy inconceivably luck into being in the right place at the right time over and over again was eye-rollingly stupid. Also, if this thing was a recruiting mechanism for the U.S. Military, it's the worst one I've ever seen. The military could not have had a worse plan and still they managed to botch every possible part of it. On another note, I don't mind when a movie departs from real science in order to have things work, but holy hell it should at least make sense internally. Nothing about the way the MUTOs reacted to radiation sources made any sense at all.

All in all, I could have overlooked the incompetent and senseless military plan and the total lack of consistency with regard to the plot and the science if they hadn't kept cutting AWAY from the damned Kaiju so we can watch boring people do mundane shit! I couldn't help but feel that somewhere in some better movie, there were monsters fighting! ARRGHHH!

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
So I went and watched this movie and Bob is pretty much right. It is boring as hell. The opening couple hours are not a slow burn because a slow burn requires heat. There is no heat here and I think I know why.

Most of the movie focuses on Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character. Aaron Taylor-Johnson's is incredibly bland and dull and he is so boring because he does not do a god damned thing. He is simply dragged along for the ride. He makes no decisions and takes no actions. This is for boring movie-making. The actor didn't help by staring at everything with that same blank look on his face that looked like he was pooping his pants. He was given bad material and did nothing with it. Bad show, mate.

I do disagree with Bob about the monster fights at the end. They were still boring. They were boring because you could hardly see them through all the dust, smoke and clouds. This movie should have been called Dust: the Smoking. You could see things a bit better, I suppose, but it all happens at night with those washed out colors that is Hollywood for "dark." The old rubber suit movies were on obvious sets with cardboard buildings and wind-up tanks, but at least you could see what was going on and they usually thought up something cool to see like this:

Yeah, that's stupid. But you have to take risks like that to make something cool. This movie did not. This may have been one of the most boring giant monster fights ever committed to celluloid. You can't see anything and you don't care when you do.

One final note: comparisons to the 1998 Godzilla feature may be inevitable, but are a waste of time.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
Cranston is under-used? I can live with that, I mean I've loved him in just about everything I've seen him in, but I grew up with Malcolm in the Middle, so he always gets bonus points for nostalgia from me whenever I see him. But whatever bonus points I'd give this movie by pure virtue of the fact that it has Godzilla in it goes out the window if Godzilla isn't actually in it.

The review seems fair, as always, but I'm skeptical about going to the theater to see this now. I'm a big enough Godzilla fan to get into the idea of a movie about Godzilla just showing up to trash some monsters and metropolitan areas, but I was kind of hoping for something that was more of a throw-back to the original Gojira.

I've been debating on seeing this or Neighbors, and while this is more of a big-screen kind of film, I'm getting the impression that Neighbors will be more worth my money.
For what it's worth, I saw this review, and went to see it over the weekend anyway (which, it completely crushed the contenders for box office earnings this weekend)- I liked it. Wasn't GREAT mind you, but it was fun, and different. I thought the pacing worked pretty well too, IMO (and that of the group with whom I watched) it was just fun.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Just got back from the movie, still buzzed by that AWESOME last fight.

But yeah, I do agree with you Bob for the most part. The characters were kinda bland, and the movie does focus a bit too much on WhatsHisFace Army Guy.

I kinda have mixed feelings on how the movie sprinkles all the tiny scenes between Godzilla and the MUTOS. On one hand, yeah, I can see how it can be annoying to show us Godzilla, only to cut back to the little kid watching what was happening on TV. On the other hand, I already knew that Godzilla wouldn't really too much screen time until the last act of the film, so I saved myself from disappointment at least.

And I do agree, Godzilla doesn't really make too much sense as a character. I guess he was trying to kill the MUTOS off so their babies don't become a problem for him later, but the Japanese scientist just ASSUMES that everything will be okay if they just let Godzilla duke it out with them. How does he know Godzilla won't go and tear everything up AFTER he was done with them?

To be fair, I'm sure he did that in the older films too, and back then, I don't think it made much sense to me either. Although I haven't watched them in YEARS, so maybe I just don't remember if Godzilla ever had a motivation for those few movies where he decided NOT to flatten whatever city he was in after the fight.

With all of that being said. I still liked this movie. The last fight at the end was awesome.

In particular, the part where Godzilla pried open the female MUTO's mouth open and blasts fire down her throat made me giggle like a little school girl.

From what I heard, there's plans a sequel. And hopefully there will be more emphasis on the monsters fighting in that one.

After seeing this movie, I now can't help but imagine what would happen if Breaking Bad's plot went absolutely batshit insane and Walter White inadvertently created Godzilla. :p

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
ImBigBob said:
There you go.
Huh. You know, I forgot all about that. I may have dismissed it cause of the same director type deal but yeah, that counts, I think.

Gerardo Vazquez said:
It could just be that all the reboots Bob has reviewed have noteworthy flaws that prevent Bob from enjoying than, rather than him simply not liking them because they're reboots, but I'm not Bob so I can't espouse his opinions and it hardly matters to me what you think of his opinion. Having just seen the film last night I can say I agree with some of Bob's points, Kickass and Scarlet Witch have too much screen time compared to Bryan Cranston and Ichiro Serizawa who are the films most interesting human characters. I agree that they're fine actors, and simply weren't given much to do but not giving them much to do is a fault of the writing and thus a strike against the film. I ultimately wasn't hung up on Godzilla's motivation like Bob was and the action ultimately bumped the a 6/10 movie to an 8/10 movie. Fun to watch the first time but would wait until I can rent it on DVD and skip straight to the fight scene rather than watch it again like Winter Soldier.
There. Nailed it, only problem with the film. Both Cranston and Watanabe were given shit to do, Johnson and Olsen were not.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
I saw the movie toady and I can say I can see where bob is coming from. It was good movie to me not great but a good movie and I think just a different direction would of made it great.

Like I was cool with Cranston getting offed early in a Hitchcock way but the focus should of been on Watanabe and his history with Godzilla after the scene with his father watch. I feel if Brody was more of side character or story going on then his deus ex through the story and narrowly escaping would of been more enduring and reinforced Godzilla being a force of nature with I think the film did a pretty good job on that part but would of enhanced it to 11.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
Worth seeing: Yes (IMAX)
Entertaining: Yes
Recommend to friends: Yes
Could have been better overall: Yes
Worth paying to see it again in theaters: Nah
Blu-ray purchase: maybe
Non-BR purchase: nah

Have to agree, human elements in the film were drawn out, dull, and cliche at times. Most of the movie is spent waiting and/or wanting to see more Monsters, but what there is of it, is satisfying.