Escape to the Movies: Gone Girl - Fantastically Suspenseful Thiller

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
I think the most important element of this movie is not Gone Girl per say, though it's a fantastic movie but the fact that it actually lends some small smattering of hope that Ben Affleck is not just a craptacular piece of casting for Batman. Gone Girl shows that, yes, Ben Affleck CAN act when he wants to. I may not believe he can play the role of Batman but I certainly believe he can pull off the role of Bruce Wayne now.

Dark, disturbed, and twisted.

Yet, entirely charming too.

I also felt more sympathetic for Amy than I should have.

Symion

Aug 30, 2012
How exactly did you review this without drawing the obvious parallels to the novel
Rebecca
Bob? Its essentially that sans main character which removes the levity and humor and replaces it with Fincher's societal emptiness commentary (which does sound awesome)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Just got back from seeing it, and I definitely recommend it. It left me unsettled in just the way I wanted it to. Great stuff.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
daxterx2005 said:
Man I wish I didn't watch the whole video, those twists sound pretty awesome.

Also, No Bob, you don't have a problem when your toys start reaching 21 inches then you have a problem :p
Not tooooo spoilery. I'm glad I waited to see the movie before watching this, but still highly recommend it.

His biggest "spoiler" in this video is that Amy is not dead. Any fan of this genre will know that in 5 seconds. I did and was angry. I'm like, "is that it!?!?! We've seen it a million times! Why recommend this movie!?!?!" aaaand that's really just the tip of the ice berg. So much more. A blast.

This is a GREAT movie. See it anyway.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I wouldn't call it a spoiler and more the whole premise of the movie, but I guess it's better being safe than sorry with the internet and this website's especially bitchy attitude towards spoilers. Hearing the "spoiler" made me more interested in the movie anyway.

Mcoffey said:
The worst part is, I left the movie kind of terrified while my wife left it kind of empowered.
Ha!
I'm sorry I found this funny.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Funny, I hadn't heard anything about this book or movie before two days ago when I saw the book on the bestsellers rack at a shop. Hunh.

Might give it a peek later.

Sidenote, what about this performance is "career-redefining" for Pike? How was her career defined previously and what is it now?

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
Strazdas said:
so basically
a psychopath is manipulating public by pretending to be a victim trying to blame the other side for things they havent done when in reality she is a real monster we should be looking out for

and noone saw the simmilarity to current shitstorm? I mean, Bob is your subconciuos acting up like that or is it truly just a coincidence?
Wow, I was making the exact same connection just terrified of saying anything until you spoke up.

In all seriousness, they are two completely different situations, but still curious that Bob acts like it's impossible for it to happen in real life, but when it happens in a movie he applauds it and analyses how given our current society it doesn't seem that unusual.

Of course, the movie fictionalises and stretches it to an incredible extreme. You'd get a warped view of the world if you just took on what happens in the movie and went "this is exactly what happens in real life".

rekon

Oct 16, 2014
I think it's showing how few comments there are on this video, no one wants to check it out yet because they still haven't seen it and don't want anything spoiled. It was really a great movie, I'm still thinking about it a couple days after seeing it. Rosamund Pike was really was amazing and I hope she wins "Best Actress".