Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern: Extended Cut

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I dunno, comparing Transformers 1, X-Men 3 and Fantastic 4 to Batman and Robin is a whole new level of hyperbole. Batman and Robin is one of the worst movies ever conceived in my lifetime. Those other movies weren't masterpieces by any means, but I still found them to be watchable at least once. I only managed a proper viewing of B&R through Rifftrax commentary.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Signa said:
I dunno, comparing Transformers 1, X-Men 3 and Fantastic 4 to Batman and Robin is a whole new level of hyperbole. Batman and Robin is one of the worst movies ever conceived in my lifetime. Those other movies weren't masterpieces by any means, but I still found them to be watchable at least once. I only managed a proper viewing of B&R through Rifftrax commentary.
Transformers 1 BAD, X-Men 3 YUCK ,Fantastic 4 so so(FF:Silver surfer was worse), Batman and Robin bad direction and half decent screenplay.

I'd say Green Lantern is better than them all.
============================================

Its long,drawn out, dragy and goes in circles at times I think it would have better if they broke it into 2 movies and used a faster style of screenplay it would have worked alot better. All in all it's not that bad you get some character development some nice action sequences its worlds better than the green hornet and even better than Superman returns IMO tho as a film Superman returns is better if that makes any sense.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Sober Thal said:
I don't understand how people can think Green Lantern was so horrible, yet praise movies like Capatin America and Thor.

They were all equally ridiculous stupid dumb fun. Nothing great by any means, but nothing to make people (like Bob) sound so insulted.
I agree I enjoyed all 3 for different reasons, people don't get drawn in on the GL hate it honestly isn't a bad film give it a try without preconceptions and you may like it.

wowthisishard

Mar 11, 2009
Typical problem with Bob's reviews. He brings in his own personal grudges when it's neither the time or the place for it. I get it, Bob, you relate to Hector Hammond. That doesn't mean you have to be bitter that the hero of a movie is a confident, good looking guy rather than a whiny ugly loser. Also, the hero's journey is not intended to be used the way you apparently think it is. I'd elaborate more, but this article/blog explains it far better than I could (just bear with the ALL CAPS, it's just the blogger's style):

http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/hulk-explains-why-we-should-stop-it-with-the-hero-journey-shit/

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Star Wars on the big screen? Yeah, I'll go see that again. There are a lot of movies that I wouldn't mind seeing brought back to the theatre for another go round.

Skaven252

Apr 7, 2010
The "attractive alpha male = good guy; unattractive beta male = bad guy" point is very valid and very relevant. Alas, Green Lantern is far from the only film where this has been done. Choosing visually stereotypical people to underline an otherwise weak plot point is way too common in films.

Even Pixar did it in The Incredibles. They made the annoying boss short, so that he would be perceived as even more annoying, when contrasted with the big good guy Bob "Mr. Incredible" Parr. And in "Wanted", where the annoying boss was fat, which of course made her even more annoying.

Well, duh. I dunno what my point exactly is. Maybe it would be refreshing to see a film where non-stereotypical people represent certain roles.

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
MovieBob said:
Green Lantern: Extended Cut

Is the extended version of Green Lantern better than the theatrical version?

Watch Video
Welp, unsurprising, but disappointing. I saw the original cut recently and thought "Well, I can see the outline of a decent movie here," but nothing made a goddamn bit of sense to me, not being a Green Lantern initiate, because shit just happened because shit's gotta happen, not because any motivations had been established.

Green Lantern could have benefited from a lot more non-action Green Lantern Corps scenes and more non-action focus on the bad guy so that anything they did would have made an ounce of sense. So it got exactly what it didn't need.