Escape to the Movies: How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Dragon Training Pays Off

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Dragon Training Pays Off

Dragon training never looked so cool in this review with some possible spoilers.

Watch Video

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
A not-awful feeling about a Transformers movie by Bob???

What world am I living in??????

Buddy, you're just setting yourself up to be let down putting ANY amount of hope in it. Keep the reserved standoffish approach. Then if it doesn't suck, you win. But if it blows, you've lost nothing. Letting yourself hope is foolhardy. At least in the Transformers movies and anything even tangentially Bay related.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
...and in that one scene, with mascots from four different video game companies throwing down in Smash 4, Nintendo won E3. That is...if there was any sign of third party support for the WiiU, they would have DEFINITELY won E3.

I have to admit, I also like the undertone of the mains having disabilities yet working through them was if they weren't an issue. (And working through them LIKE A BAWS in Hiccup's case.) Definitely a positive message there.

It also seems you're not the only one who liked this, Bob. Minneapolis Star Tribune gave this 4 stars (out of 4) and was praising the heck out of it! I'll have to see what the St. Paul Pioneer Press says when I get it later.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Transformers age of extinction can be the worst Transformers film ever (it won't be as no Shia LaBeouf) and I will see it just for that 3 minute scene of Optimus riding Grimlock and smashing Decepticons it's easily worth the £4.50 my local cinema charges.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
I went to see HTTYD the first week it was in the theater, and my immediate thought upon leaving was "I cannot wait for the sequel!" As a reminder, it released in March 2010, over four years ago. Between the timespan and the subsequent animated series, I'd all but given up hope of a legitimate sequel - and at the same time, concern that if we did get one, it would end up being execrable pop-culture garbage a la Shrek.
So yeah... not only do we get a real sequel, but it's good? And does unexpected things with the story?
Hell yes. Now if only I could afford to go to the movies right now...

PS: Bob, just give up now. Spoiler warning if you have to, but don't waste the first minute of your review trying to defend the decision. Besides, if the trailers give away a plot twist, it can't really be considered a spoiler at that point.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Ronack said:
Once again you're encouraging us to just not see your video's. Now literally when you said "just go see it" instead of watching your review. How about you slap on a quick, one-minute review in front of the spoiler-parts where you discuss things more broadly before delving in to the specifics. Any half-decent reviewer should know how to do it, and you've been around so long you've probably passed half-decent a while ago. I'm positive you'll be able to do it.
Well the only spoiler he really had was the one given in the announcement trailer. I get some people don't want to know ANYTHING about a movie before they go to see it, but why would they watch a review then?

True, Bob has done what you suggested before, but in this case it's not necessary.
Also, as he said, to make the review interesting he sometimes has to spoil some of the movie.
Honestly, some have been dogging Bob pretty hard recently about the spoilers, and while it would be nice for him to compensate for them, at a certain point they become a bit too demanding.

Anyway, loved the first one, will probably love this one too. :)
Hope it does very well.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Karma is such a *****. It seems that the universe really does try to keep things in balance. I love that here in the UK we get new Marvel movies weeks before the US (mainly because it was always the other way around) but this movie, a movie I have been looking forward to more than any other movie this year (even more so than Cap America 2) is not relesed here for another month!

Still nice to know it is good at least.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Huh. This sounds more interesting than I would have thought.

I struggled with the first one primarily because all of the younger character spoke and acted like modern kids to the point I expected one of them to see something amazing and then say 'Hold on I have to tweet about this.' Maybe it wasn't a problem for anyone except me, but it really bugged me during the first movie. No, I didn't expect them to look and act like realistic Vikings but can we pull it back just a tad?

On the spoiler issue, some reviewers feel the need to go into the entire movie in detail to tell you whether or not they felt a movie was worth watching. That's offputting (to say the least) to me since I do, normally, want to enjoy the story without knowing what's around the next corner. So I appreciate being told if there's going to be spoilers in the review. Note: IMHO MovieBob as a rule isn't guilty of this, and the times he has felt the need to really walk through the full movie he warns you plenty ahead of time in his video.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Ronack said:
Once again you're encouraging us to just not see your video's. Now literally when you said "just go see it" instead of watching your review. How about you slap on a quick, one-minute review in front of the spoiler-parts where you discuss things more broadly before delving in to the specifics. Any half-decent reviewer should know how to do it, and you've been around so long you've probably passed half-decent a while ago. I'm positive you'll be able to do it.
Maybe your inability to see past the spoiler warning box also caused you not to listen to the intro of the episode. He does not just make videos to say that a movie is good or bad. That's subjective. He discusses movies. And sometimes that will include pieces of the movie that you don't want to hear about. If you don't want to discuss parts of the movie that you do not want to hear about, please stop coming to this forum to complain about it. It's getting rather annoying.

The rest of us will be quite happy hearing what he has to say about the movies and discussing them..

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was kind of expecting Bob to review 22 Jump Street today, but this is a good one. Sound like I got some catching up to do with the first one! Lately I've been watching less animated movies (stupid growing up). Is the animated series, Riders of Berk, any good?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Part 1 had some good stuff, largely ticked me off that you still had a really big, really bad monster to deal with. Back then Hiccup should have learned that you can't negotiate with some people.

I can't believe you think Transformers will not be awful! I enjoyed looking at part 3 on Bluray, but man, I had to shut my brain off. Just terrible.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
That image of Pac-Man, MegaMan, Sonic and Mario in one game made me cry a little.

This movie looks good, I'll go see it.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Grenge Di Origin said:
So Bob's argument for giving away spoilers is because there's nothing interesting to talk about? What a lame and lazy excuse. See also: Film Crit Hulk's piece on writing reviews without spoiling (and also about Iron Man 3's reviews):
<quote=Film Crit Hulk>HECK, EVEN SAYING THE WORD "TWIST" SETS UP A DRAMATIC EXPECTATION THAT RENDERS THE AFFECTATION OF SURPRISE MEANINGLESS. YOU DON'T TELL SOMEONE THERE'S GOING TO BE A SURPRISE PARTY REGARDLESS IF YOU LEAVE OUT THE SPECIFICS.
I'll stop this rant right there. You are opening the review expecting someone to say SOMETHING about the movie. Using this analogy, this is akin to asking someone if there is going to be a party. The sheer fact that you brought it up means you are looking for information. It's your own fault if you get annoyed that someone has spoiled the fact that there is actually a party.

Ronack said:
Review =/= analysis
Semantics. The first line in Bob's profile is that he is a film critic. To establish a proper critique, you must be able to discuss the content.

Captcha: mum's the word. *chuckle* Even the bot prevention program has to get their jab in!!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
saw it last night and it may well be the best movie ive seen all year, at the very least its tied with winter solder.

go see this movie if you haven't its worth the money.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
"A film critic is not a consumer reporter."

Which is fine, if the job you're doing at the time is being a critic rather than a reviewer. There's a reason this show is marketed as a movie review, and Bob's other show is marketed as more of a critical analysis/"say something interesting" show. A person looks up a movie review for a movie they are partially interested in for the purpose of saying (at least in large part) "should I actually see this movie, is it worth my time and money."

"If your only question is 'is this movie good' go see it."

And with an unlimited amount of time and money, I probably would. But as I have neither unlimited time nor unlimited money, I rely in part on watching reviews to figure out what movies would be worth my time and money.

You can argue that what he's doing is more analysis than review, but I'm about 90% certain that the tags for these videos include "review" and not "says something interesting about it."