Escape to the Movies: John Carter

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
John Carter

Finally the man that influenced modern fantasy gets his own movie.

Watch Video

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Never read the books myself so I can't go on a "Not True to Original" like yourself but it still looks interesting.

Also, yes, AS3 looks great.

Friendstastegood

Oct 2, 2011
You know Bob, I kinda see where you're coming from some of the time, but the whole "shouldn't be afraid to be true to the original" critizism you slap on every single movie that is an adaptation of something you love is getting rather repetative and uninteresting, especially since someone like you should be able to see how being too true to something obscure that most people don't have a connection with would only serve to alienate audiences that the producers can't afford to alienate. You might have a good point about it in this movie (I can't judge because I have neither seen it nor am familiar with the books) but seriously, there is a reason Hawkeye won't be wearing a ridiculous purple mask in the Avengers movie.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I doubt this film would get done if everyone on Mars was meant to be naked. Then again, I wouldn't be complaining. >.>

Looks like a decent film to watch. Though if the main character is anything like "Superman" then I might not like him so much.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
So basically you won't have any problems with it unless you're a mega nerd? Got it.

Also the Disney Princess part made me lol.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Well, I guess it makes sense that the princess is the most interesting character, given that she's the title character of the book.

I bought the book yesterday out of curiosity. I think I'll read it before I go to see the movie.

I put down a pre-order for Assassins Creed III cause EB Games aka Gamestop gave my a steel case with that awesome cover for doing so... Also, because AC is finally getting back on track from that really long Ezio storyline.

Friendstastegood

Oct 2, 2011
Also, does anyone else find it interesting that this main character gets critizised for being nothing more then a generic "good guy", but Captain America got praised for basically the same thing?

Friendstastegood

Oct 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Friendstastegood said:
Also, does anyone else find it interesting that this main character gets critizised for being nothing more then a generic "good guy", but Captain America got praised for basically the same thing?
Well Movie Bob would have been okay with that because Captain America was supposed to be the generic good guy.
So was John Carter, at least that's what he says in the video.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
I'll probably go see this one anyway. Is the book series its based on any good? I've been needing something other than my Discworld collection to read.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Bob, I don't think I can really agree here with the idea that random teleporting and dreaming yourself to another planet would be a good idea. To me it does remain a bit too pointlessly silly. I know the books weren't meant to be taken seriously in that regard, but really, it just doesn't sit well with me. I would have been fine with super awesome boy scout guy, but being able to randomly teleport to mars probably wouldn't have sat well with me.

On a side note...
Friendstastegood said:
No, he seemed to be fine with the idea of him being a fairly generic good guy, just not with him being Han Solo.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
I actually expected this movie to be so bad, it would be unwatchble, so the fact you think it's okay surprised me.

Since my opinion and MovieBob's opinion usually are the same, I will check it out.

Also, I am not hyped for AC3, sorry, it's an excellent series but after playing Brotherhood and Revelations on the same year I think I am already saturated with assassins.
But I will probably buy and play on launch day anyway to avoid spoilers, damn.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I don't like the, it's not exactly like the original therefore it's not as good complaint, the changes could be for the worse but that shouldn't be a complaint in and of it's self.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
lord.jeff said:
I don't like the, it's not exactly like the original therefore it's not as good complaint, the changes could be for the worse but that shouldn't be a complaint in and of it's self.
Precisely. Some of the best movies are vastly different from their source material. I believe that as an adaptation, you need to keep the essence of what made the story popular but be given the liberty to make changes as you see fit. If you don't feel the liberty of making changes to the source material, than you are just a lazy story teller. It did wonders for Lord of the Rings and Christopher Nolan's Batman and other sci-fi/fantasy/comic book movies and it could do wonders for John Carter as well.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So the source material is a century old, and EVERYTHING in modern fantasy and science fiction owes something to this story, Superman and Star Wars included. Awesome!

So, it's like the new Star Trek movie. Not bad, but not great. I can deal with that. I'm seeing this with my dad tonight. I'll probably look up the book later on, just to brush up on what this movie is supposed to be based on.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Keep wishing for Hollywood to stop "Playing It Safe" Bob. I'm right there with you, and it'll be fun waiting for Hell to freeze over.
It's funny to me that everyone gets treated like a soft-headed child because movie producers are afraid of confusing or upsetting someone who's IQ is smaller than their belt size. Pandering to the most worthless demographic of the population, and we all (most of us anyway) just eat it up with a big smile.