Escape to the Movies: Leprechaun: Origins - Fool's Gold

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Leprechaun: Origins - Fool's Gold

WWE's attempt to reboot a series known for cheesy horror doesn't go so well.

Watch Video

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
As an Irish person, I imagine watching this movie would be even more unbearable than it was for Bob.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
Were "The November Man" and "As Above So Below" not screened for critics? They seem like the closest things to big releases this week.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
JSW said:
Were "The November Man" and "As Above So Below" not screened for critics? They seem like the closest things to big releases this week.
Same here, I was hoping to heard his review on As Above So Below, mind you I wasn't going to watch it, just wanting to know if that film is any good or not.

Idon'tcareanymore

Dec 29, 2011
.... Please tell me that the WWE Scooby Doo thing was fake. For the love of whatever you find holy. If it is real, well, looks like they finally put two barrels into poor Mr. Doo.

Jan 12, 2012
You know, I've never actually seen a single scene or even still from any of the Leprechaun movies other than that rap. One of those weird quirks about the internet I've never noticed until now.
JSW said:
There's also If I Stay, which is not the sort of blockbuster Bob usually covers in the summer, but neither is this, and If I Stay at least has some known actors and seems to be a bigger deal than a cheap horror movie.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
But did anyone really think this movi
JSW said:
Maybe, does Bob review movies that he pays to attend? Or does he only review those that are free and screened to critics? No idea.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Huh. Kinda figured Bob would have mentioned the other item WWE keeps banging on about aside from their animated crossover with Scooby Doo; which is their WWE Network online streaming channel for only $9.99 per month with a 6 month commitment contract. Why did I bring this up? Because almost everyone in the WWE has been trying to plug this thing since it's not generating the membership numbers they were hoping for. There is nothing more sadder than seeing everyone from Triple H and his wife Stephanie to the announcers doing their darnedest to shoehorn a promotion for WWE Network into every sentence they utter. ^^;

Thank Jebus I'm staying in this weekend watching The Simpsons marathon on FXX.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
psn_habalhabden said:
.... Please tell me that the WWE Scooby Doo thing was fake. For the love of whatever you find holy. If it is real, well, looks like they finally put two barrels into poor Mr. Doo.
I hate to break it to you but it is 100% real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQhf4wQPgPo

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Okay, this definitely sounds like a horror movie reboot of the worst variety, and sounds like the single worst variant of the "wrestlers in movies" movies ever - and trust me, THAT'S pretty damn low. At least in even the worst of those movies, they at least TRIED to get the wrestlers to show a fraction of their in-ring personas, rather than just give them identity-less roles where they don't even so much as show their face.

As for that one last bit at the end, here is my approximate thought process:

(Sees some sort of cartoon with a bunch of WWE stars needing to battle some sort of monster terrorizing the ring)
"Huh... this sounds interesting. I mean, it seems to be dropping more B-List names than a TMZ "news" segment, isn't showing dialogue from the wrestlers that the movie is clearly starring, and doesn't really show that much action for a cartoon literally set in a Pro Wrestling arena, but I'm not sure why MovieBob would rank this as just one step above Leprechaun Origins-"
(Sees Scooby Doo show up)
"(Jaw drop) ........What?"
(See that the cartoon is "Scooby Doo: Wrestle Mania Mystery")
"...........WOW this must mean the WWE is getting really desperate to maintain some relevance in this decade."

And the ***** of it is that I would totally check it out if it was just the WWE guys needing to put the smackdown on the monster, but when SCOOBY AND THE GANG show up?! Now I won't touch that with a seventeen-foot pole!!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's just strange. I can't help but feel that this time would have been better spent just reviewing a movie that opened up in competition for the last few weeks (Ie. The Giver, which was a much better movie than I thought it would be). But it's Bob's time, so that is that. Maybe he was hoping for a "so bad it's actually kind of good" experience.

The WWE has a mixed history with movies. They actually released one with John Cena that was very well done, if not a bit drawn out, about a kid who wants to improve his position in school by joining the wrestling team. John Cena played the absent older brother who was the schools previous state champ who had joined the military after high school, only to return home completely alienated from his family. I was surprised... but then again it's surprising what you can enjoy when you are in the mood, so maybe it wasn't as good as I felt it was at the time.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So all I need to take away from this review (and I guess by extension the movie as I won't see it) is that Scooby Doo had stretched to even more things than I thought it had? Well I'm OK with this, I can just ignore it and find my copy of Zombie Island to watch for the fiftieth time.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Well thank you. Big fan of the Lepercaun series. Just love the fact it seems so aware that it is bad, that it becomes a fun ride. The third one in Las Vegas is still my personal favorite, kind of wish they did more that route. Was a whole lot of fun, and loved how each wish lead to a unique death. The send off IN SPACE is still fun. Can't say if Jason X beats it or not. Sad to see it go this route.

SonOfVoorhees said:
But did anyone really think this movi
JSW said:
Maybe, does Bob review movies that he pays to attend? Or does he only review those that are free and screened to critics? No idea.
Its a mix of both. Pretty much those that are screened to critics he does first. Since that is what he is paid to do. Then when he has times, does others. Movie Bob does have a lot on his plate. He tends to sprinkle it in from time to time. The Raid 2 for example was one of the reviews he did that their wasn't(too my knowlege) a screening of it. Its a sometimes thing.

I personally hope he does an intermission for the other Lepercun movies. Since I enjoyed all up till the reboot. Though wasn't planing to since the trailers match the review of this movie. Still you get a talented actor in a monster suit, the rest can be entertain. That is why the series up to now has been enjoyable.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
It sounds SO boring of a movie that I would rather go see subject myself for the $%&(ing "Scooby WWE crossover". X_X

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
Burnouts3s3 said:
I'm noticing Bob tends to prefer the silly and stupid over the generic but passable.
When its your job to watch movies, generic becomes the doldrums of the job. Why wouldn't he hate generic? I tend to feel like works spit out with nothing new or interesting to say or do are a tremendous waste of my time as well, personally.