Escape to the Movies: Leprechaun: Origins - Fool's Gold

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
As others have mentioned, so "As above, so below" and "November Man" weren't screened? I find that hard to believe especially since Pierce Brosnan is still a pretty decent draw for a film.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I saw the title of this review and I thought, "Wait, he's doing a review for an old movie?" because I haven't heard a single thing about this movie. So I thought Bob was just doing a retro review or something. This movie must be pretty terrible, because the only parts of the review that stuck with me were the rap and the Scooby Doo parts. Bland movie.

Also, thank you for explaining why the rap went on for as long as it did. I thought that was kind of odd in the beginning.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
shadowmagus said:
As others have mentioned, so "As above, so below" and "November Man" weren't screened? I find that hard to believe especially since Pierce Brosnan is still a pretty decent draw for a film.
Two theaters in the city I live in dropped airing November Man this weekend for other things such as the Ghostbusters 30th anniversary and its mostly the independent ones that are showing it unless they have 10+ screens

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Baresark said:
It's just strange. I can't help but feel that this time would have been better spent just reviewing a movie that opened up in competition for the last few weeks (Ie. The Giver, which was a much better movie than I thought it would be). But it's Bob's time, so that is that. Maybe he was hoping for a "so bad it's actually kind of good" experience.
Yeah, I thought "The Giver" would be right up Bob's alley, to either praise or trash. There's also a new Pierce Brosnan movie out now.
OT: It's too early in the day to drink the amount of alcohol I need to erase that Leprechaun rap from my mind.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'd never even heard of this movie until now. Sort of a shame it ended up the way that it did. I do agree the idea of having a movie based on the basis of what a Leprechaun is DOES seem like an interesting idea, but it sounds like it kinda hurt this movie, which is a shame.

Also Bob...I know it was a slow week, but nothing on the new Dr. Doom costume? Maybe it'll look better in motion...my motion...as I turn my body around and walk away from it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
GOOD GOD BOB!! Review the Scooby Doo movie! For the life of me I can't figure out why there isn't a whole show of reviewing Scooby's movies! Bob, seriously, for October, do a month long Scooby Doo marathon!

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I really appreciate bob winking at the fact that he takes up time in videos with entertaining clips if he doesn't have much to say. just makes it go down easier idk

This movie might actually qualify as a so-bad-it's-good when you're Irish. I'll have to see what these creepy villagers are like and what their accents sound like

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
dharmaBum0 said:
I didn't know I needed "Scooby Doo: Wrestle Mania Mystery" in my life, but I do.
I don't even like Scooby-Doo or pro wrestling, but I want to check that thing out for the sheer insanity of it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
An Ceannaire said:
As an Irish person, I imagine watching this movie would be even more unbearable than it was for Bob.
I'm not even that in touch with my Irish heritage and I'm already mildly offended by this. The Oirish want to sacrifice the innocent Americans to the evil monster? Yeah, fuck off movie.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Why would they release this in August? Why would Bob review it? Why does anyone over the age of 15 give a crap about the WWE? Why not review The Giver, I've heard it's pretty hilariously bad.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Did I juts see LINK in a Mario Kart game...?
I think part of my childhood just died.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
MaddKossack115 said:
Okay, this definitely sounds like a horror movie reboot of the worst variety, and sounds like the single worst variant of the "wrestlers in movies" movies ever - and trust me, THAT'S pretty damn low. At least in even the worst of those movies, they at least TRIED to get the wrestlers to show a fraction of their in-ring personas, rather than just give them identity-less roles where they don't even so much as show their face.

As for that one last bit at the end, here is my approximate thought process:

(Sees some sort of cartoon with a bunch of WWE stars needing to battle some sort of monster terrorizing the ring)
"Huh... this sounds interesting. I mean, it seems to be dropping more B-List names than a TMZ "news" segment, isn't showing dialogue from the wrestlers that the movie is clearly starring, and doesn't really show that much action for a cartoon literally set in a Pro Wrestling arena, but I'm not sure why MovieBob would rank this as just one step above Leprechaun Origins-"
(Sees Scooby Doo show up)
"(Jaw drop) ........What?"
(See that the cartoon is "Scooby Doo: Wrestle Mania Mystery")
"...........WOW this must mean the WWE is getting really desperate to maintain some relevance in this decade."

And the ***** of it is that I would totally check it out if it was just the WWE guys needing to put the smackdown on the monster, but when SCOOBY AND THE GANG show up?! Now I won't touch that with a seventeen-foot pole!!
Speaking of wrestlers vs monsters, need to plug this because of how fuckin ridiculous it is.

watch?v=jiF3BRRiZgg]

Yes that's a real thing, with real wrestlers. I dont know how anyone convinced people like Kurt Angle and Roddy Pipper to be a part of such terrible schlock like that, but they totally did, and its totally awful.

On topic, I'm fairly certain that the WWE realized how shit this was pretty quickly. They promoted it long before it was ever going to be released, back when they were still shooting. Shooting ended, they promoted it for a bit longer, then I assume someone in the editing booth went up to them and told them they had a dud of massive proportions on their hands. At that point they just said fuck it and let it fall into obscurity.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
I don't... What the devil? I know summer releases can be spare, Bob, but C'mon, THAT bad?
*Has a look at the listing of his own local cinema, notices Inbetweeners 2*
Okay, fine, it really is that bad. Time for a retro-review or two? ;)

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
this felt more like a big picture than an escape to the movies...
actually please do a big picture about the leprechaun movies :)

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
If you liked Occulus so much and hated this, then why didn't you just say Leprechaun: Origins sucks and then review the horror movie the WWE made that wasn't garbage?

Also, someone tell Jim Sterling he has to do a Movie Defense Force next week of Leprechaun 5: Back in the Hood

Now.

Do it.

I'll wait.

D.Strormer

Oct 22, 2008
I'm sorry, but Bob, how did this get a review and both If I Stay and The Fault in Our Stars didn't? I could understand, I mean, it's pretty obvious what both of those films are and exactly how well they respectively do their "thing," but really, Leprechaun the WWE reboot? Really? C'mon.