Escape to the Movies: Leprechaun: Origins - Fool's Gold

Abyss

Apr 21, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGa3R9VvDVs

"I'm the Leprechaun! I'M THE LEPRECHAUN!" "Stop it, man! You're scaring me!"

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
And another vaguely Nostalgia Critic-related movie meets Bob's critical eye.

Sorry that 2014 has been so goddamn boring, Bob. Hang in there!

nightazday

Apr 5, 2009
I don't know, I feel like watching the Scooby Doo thing. Also I liked the look on Link's face. He pretty much like "yeah I'm crusin' what of it this is my rad motorcycle I call it the epona."

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Weird. Was really expecting this to be The Giver week. I kinda liked it, some people probably hated it. Even if there weren't review screenings for it there should have been enough time for Moviebob to get there. This just seemed like kinda a waste. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know about a shitty movie I don't have to watch, I guess?

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Why did Bob review a boring direct to video movie? There had to have been something better to watch.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
That Scooby Doo crossover sounds awesome for a MST3000ing with a bunch of friends. Also, good to know they can screw up something as simple as a jolly homicidal leprechaun who should steal the show.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Well no need for the eplanation at the end their Mr Bob, I figured it was a slow week after reading the title.

psn_habalhabden said:
.... Please tell me that the WWE Scooby Doo thing was fake. For the love of whatever you find holy. If it is real, well, looks like they finally put two barrels into poor Mr. Doo.
My friend, I have to say in my honest opinion "The Doo" was given the Old Yeller treatment a long time back. My guesstimate is somewhere around the time they introduced Scrappy and began teaming up with Batman & Robin and the Harlem Globetrotters. No, that is more akin to poking his dried up corpse with a cattle prod to make it seem like he is dancing, we will turn our heads to eye the horrifying spectacle but we know he died long ago.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Leprechaun 4: In Space was originally going to be 'Leprechaun in the Whitehouse' would have come out at the same time as the Lewinsky shenangians as I heard from Brian Trenchard-Smith during a Q&A once.

WWE branching out into film production is a good thing as it means a lot of young directors and people who work in film will get more of a chance to work on things.

I have started to buy some of the films featured in Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films, there sure are a lot of them. Also older Australian movies when they are listed at $5 with an extra $1 for postage as often they end up being deleted and hard to find again.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Link and the villagers and the the Hyrule cup and the Animal cross cup while all neat really annoy me.
Its "Mario" Kart, not "Nintendo" Kart.
This isn't a smash bros game, it's a dang Mario game.

Yes I know Namco Characters have crossed with Mario Kart but that was an arcade game which was made with Namco....so yanno.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
You know I've really been looking forward to a review of the Giver but I guess that's not going to happen. Also that Scooby Doo movie was actually pretty fun. Much better than some of their other ones.

And with regards to the Link DLC:

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Isn't The Inbetweeners 2 out in the US?

I know British films tend not to do so well in 'Merica (there are exceptions of course, such as Harry Potter) and the fact that the sequel is set in Australia (which don't do well anywhere, except for Crocodile Dundee) so I get why you didn't review it but I thought it was a very funny movie and I liked how it was filmed so close to where I live (Gold Coast, Australia) that I wanted to see if it the comedy translated well in the USA.

I say this because WWE is very American. You rarely, if ever, see WWE advertised here and I couldn't give two shits about it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
1: I didn't even know this was a thing until I saw it as today's review.
2: I didn't know the WWE was officially making movies now.
3: I did always believe that the one thing that Scooby Doo needed was more power-bombs through tables covered in thumb tacks. :p

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Wait, theres a movie called "Scooby Doo Wrestlmania Mysteries" HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS??????

way to bury the lead bob

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
shintakie10 said:
MaddKossack115 said:
Okay, this definitely sounds like a horror movie reboot of the worst variety, and sounds like the single worst variant of the "wrestlers in movies" movies ever - and trust me, THAT'S pretty damn low. At least in even the worst of those movies, they at least TRIED to get the wrestlers to show a fraction of their in-ring personas, rather than just give them identity-less roles where they don't even so much as show their face.

As for that one last bit at the end, here is my approximate thought process:

(Sees some sort of cartoon with a bunch of WWE stars needing to battle some sort of monster terrorizing the ring)
"Huh... this sounds interesting. I mean, it seems to be dropping more B-List names than a TMZ "news" segment, isn't showing dialogue from the wrestlers that the movie is clearly starring, and doesn't really show that much action for a cartoon literally set in a Pro Wrestling arena, but I'm not sure why MovieBob would rank this as just one step above Leprechaun Origins-"
(Sees Scooby Doo show up)
"(Jaw drop) ........What?"
(See that the cartoon is "Scooby Doo: Wrestle Mania Mystery")
"...........WOW this must mean the WWE is getting really desperate to maintain some relevance in this decade."

And the ***** of it is that I would totally check it out if it was just the WWE guys needing to put the smackdown on the monster, but when SCOOBY AND THE GANG show up?! Now I won't touch that with a seventeen-foot pole!!
Speaking of wrestlers vs monsters, need to plug this because of how fuckin ridiculous it is.

watch?v=jiF3BRRiZgg]

Yes that's a real thing, with real wrestlers. I dont know how anyone convinced people like Kurt Angle and Roddy Pipper to be a part of such terrible schlock like that, but they totally did, and its totally awful.

On topic, I'm fairly certain that the WWE realized how shit this was pretty quickly. They promoted it long before it was ever going to be released, back when they were still shooting. Shooting ended, they promoted it for a bit longer, then I assume someone in the editing booth went up to them and told them they had a dud of massive proportions on their hands. At that point they just said fuck it and let it fall into obscurity.
Well, my immediate guess is they were hoping to catch some of the magic of El Santo. El Santo is perhaps the most famous Mexican Luchadore of all time, and allegedly books based on him as a super hero are some of the best selling novels in Mexican history. He's also had comic series based on him, and was in a pretty massive number of movies where he would travel around using his mad wrasslin skills to fight monsters and criminals. Only a few of these movies have been translated into English (Hulu had some of them though, which is when I first noticed them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo

I'm not a huge fan of Wikipedia, but that lists his movies and as you can see there were a lot of them, and apparently going by the numbers they were pretty successful for their audience.

I think WWE has been trying to do something similar, but hasn't quite figured out the right mechanism to bring it's characters into movies. That whole "Pro-Wrestlers Vs. Zombies" thing sounds almost like an El Santo movie, and I mean indeed his second movie is indeed "Santo Vs. The Zombies". The thing is though that WWE hasn't really had a character that has captured the imagination quite the same way or been promoted in this fashion. Typically they have had a Wrestler play a role in another movie, as opposed to basically sayin "John Cena is now a super hero, and we will have movies chronicling his cheezy adventures outside of the ring" probably in part because of the nature of the business where having a guy who is just flat out invincible wouldn't work, El Santo lost very few matches and when it did happen it was a BIG deal.... and of course you need an audience who would be entertained by a plot like "Superhuman pro-wrestler who runs around in costume 24/7 breaks down outside a haunted castle, enters as the cult inside summons Cthulhu, and then lays an epic wrasslin smackdown on all of them... never before have you seen Great Cthulhu pile
driven so many times by one man..."

At any rate I'm guessing the Wrestlers doing that movie were hoping something that cheezy would get similar results. Roddy Piper in particular seems to have been willing to ham it up in movies... and to be fair, he did become quite iconic in one John Carpenter movie. That old "I'm here to chew some bubblegum, and kick some ass!" line? That's Roddy. :)

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
psn_habalhabden said:
.... Please tell me that the WWE Scooby Doo thing was fake. For the love of whatever you find holy. If it is real, well, looks like they finally put two barrels into poor Mr. Doo.
The worst part is that a WWE-Scooby Doo crossover could have worked, just have Kane

Powerbomb these two chuckleheads

through every flat surface in the building for 90 minutes.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
thanks bob for raping my brain ... first with that opening "rap" and then by letting me know of the scooby doo wwe cross-over ... my brain will never recover from that nightmare ...