Escape to the Movies: Life of Pi

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
It's been about three years since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure that the message was quite a bit different there.

In the book, Pi still DOES tell the really dark version, but I seem to remember the book ending on him simply saying to believe whichever one they would prefer to believe without any of the faith stuff applied.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
kwagamon said:
It's been about three years since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure that the message was quite a bit different there.

In the book, Pi still DOES tell the really dark version, but I seem to remember the book ending on him simply saying to believe whichever one they would prefer to believe without any of the faith stuff applied.
It's about the same in the movie.

Bob might have been slightly overreacting in regards to the twist, or maybe I just lumped everything I hated about the movie into Pi himself, which allowed the movie and Angle Lee to retain their dignity. I didn't find the message all that heavy handed.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
All the people talking about being hungry after this review made me laugh, seeing as what really happened in the boat, lol, boy I have a sick mind

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I haven't seen this movie yet but if it's anything like the book, and from Bob's description it sounds exactly like the book, then you shouldn't avoid going to see it just because of the religious aspect. There's a lot more to the story than that, and the religious stuff isn't as heavyhanded as Bob's making it appear.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Oh wow... Most of the people in this thread never read the book and take Bob's quick summery without any real explanation or thought into what the original book was about.

I hate to be that guy, I really do. But... you people just don't "get it".

By the way Bob, F you, I bet if this was an anti-religion film, you'd be all over it like candy.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ugh, screw this movie's "message" Y'know what? Not believing in a higher power may give a somewhat bleaker outlook of the world, but at least it's being honest with yourself, I'd say this actually works better as an indictment of that "believe because it's comforting" bollocks.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
AxelxGabriel said:
Oh wow... Most of the people in this thread never read the book and take Bob's quick summery without any real explanation or thought into what the original book was about.

I hate to be that guy, I really do. But... you people just don't "get it".

By the way Bob, F you, I bet if this was an anti-religion film, you'd be all over it like candy.
It's not the religious message, it's that the religious message was dumb.

As the kind of atheist you probasbly think Bob is, I feel the need to remind you that Bob considers atheists to be boring people for some reason and thus distances himself from us too.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Interesting. Bob calls the Life of Pi anti-atheist because it has a positive message for those with religion, while my Christian mother hated it because she thought the message was agnostic in nature devaluing certain religions.

Remember children, if the message of a movie doesn't line up with your personal beliefs perfectly, it is inherently against them.

Anyway, I found the sentiment a little more genuine than Bob, though I guess if you have ire for other one-sided message films like Narnia or the Golden Compass, I can understand why people would take umbrage with this film as well. That said, I wasn't as thrilled with it like others seem to be, though I had seen the absolutely brilliant Lincoln before this one so perhaps my bar had been set pretty high that week. But yeah, I don't shake my easily-offended fist at the film just because it adds value to the opinions of those who believe in a higher power. I think this is yet another movie review where Bob entered the theater with a bad attitude before the previews even rolled.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I think you're mixing up "pro-theistic" with "anti-atheistic".

At any rate, it's certainly different than what ELSE is in theaters normally. :D

I plan on taking my Mom, we both loved the book.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I think you're mixing up "pro-theistic" with "anti-atheistic".

At any rate, it's certainly different than what ELSE is in theaters normally. :D

I plan on taking my Mom, we both loved the book.
A very good point. The Life of Pi is very original and unique in visual style, tone, and message from what Hollywood usually puts out. Even if it's only an adaptation, it shouldn't matter if you don't agree with the subject material to appreciate the artistic value it holds.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
That's odd.

The book wasn't "anti-atheism" at all. And I hate to speculate on things I haven't experienced, but I suspect that the movie ain't, either.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Silk_Sk said:
Wombok said:
Silk_Sk said:
Arakasi said:
Silk_Sk said:
I thought Bob was above butthurt /r/athiest whine-botting but I suppose nobody's perfect. God to me has always been a concept beyond the logistics of reality or fiction. Present in both, exclusive to neither. Saying he exists just because it's more fun that way is as good an argument as any for both sides of the debate. Really, the problem with God is that everyone's concept of him is too limited. God is unlimited, completely and utterly. Taken to it's logical extreme, there is no possible argument for his existence because any logical concept of him would define a limit to him that we can conceive of. He exists simply because he can't not exist, they same way you and I do. Pi's argument is that it is necessary for us to believe in God because it is necessary for us to be uplifted. The other half of that argument is that if God did not exist then it wouldn't be necessary for us to be uplifted in the first place.
I had to wipe the vomit from my mouth when I was done reading this one.
Let's start with the first sentence, oh, an ad hominem? Nicely done.
So God to you is beyond reality. I've got news for you, that would mean god doesn't exist.
God could easily exist, for you to say there is no limit on what god is, is putting a limit on what god is. You're saying that god can't be that backwards Christian god, or Allah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, when in reality, god could be any of those things, you simply don't know.
Oh, and I don't exist because I don't exist. I exist because I exist.
Also, belief in god depresses me more than it uplifts me, so that kinda destroys your argument.

TLDR: Your post is nothing more than pseudo-philosophical tripe.
Behold, ladies and gentlemen! A butthurt /r/atheist whine-botter in the flesh! Please, don't feed it any intelligent discussion or it will shit everywhere and fling it back at you.
Oh bravo! Another ad hominem! You sure showed him!

Please enlighten us more with your bullshit, pseudo-intellectual, hipster philosophy. How about you regurgitate a half-arsed version of the ontological argument or reference some esoteric philosophical book you've never read.

Kill yourself.
Watch, by the time it works itself through that last sentence it will have completely lost control of its faculties and resorted to even more pathetically predictable insults. Fascinatingly dull creatures aren't they?
You don't see a certain sense of hypocracy in that statement? Wow.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
Life of Pi
MovieBob takes us on a very special boat trip with Life of Pi.
Um, Bob. That "crunch time" intro thing was nice, but you already told us what you thought of Lincoln.

So, um...

What did you think of the Man with the Iron Fists?

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
You know I got a completely different message from reading the book although it has been a few years, I enjoyed the book even though It was dull in a few places. Bob maybe you misunderstood a few thing or you stop paying attention half way through because of how annoying Pi was :3

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Man, that one strip of Calvin and Hobbes always gets to me (who would have thunk it?!).

Anyway, I'm an atheist, and I didn't find the story's morality too much in the "bash it over your head until you agree camp." Still, that was the book and I don't know if the movie focused more on that aspect. Personally, I don't find Pi grating (in the book at least) because it was easy enough for me to separate myself from him and think "well, this is what he believes, and I don't feel like he's trying to convert me."

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Silk_Sk said:
Arakasi said:
Silk_Sk said:
Wombok said:
Silk_Sk said:
Arakasi said:
Silk_Sk said:
I thought Bob was above butthurt /r/athiest whine-botting but I suppose nobody's perfect. God to me has always been a concept beyond the logistics of reality or fiction. Present in both, exclusive to neither. Saying he exists just because it's more fun that way is as good an argument as any for both sides of the debate. Really, the problem with God is that everyone's concept of him is too limited. God is unlimited, completely and utterly. Taken to it's logical extreme, there is no possible argument for his existence because any logical concept of him would define a limit to him that we can conceive of. He exists simply because he can't not exist, they same way you and I do. Pi's argument is that it is necessary for us to believe in God because it is necessary for us to be uplifted. The other half of that argument is that if God did not exist then it wouldn't be necessary for us to be uplifted in the first place.
I had to wipe the vomit from my mouth when I was done reading this one.
Let's start with the first sentence, oh, an ad hominem? Nicely done.
So God to you is beyond reality. I've got news for you, that would mean god doesn't exist.
God could easily exist, for you to say there is no limit on what god is, is putting a limit on what god is. You're saying that god can't be that backwards Christian god, or Allah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, when in reality, god could be any of those things, you simply don't know.
Oh, and I don't exist because I don't exist. I exist because I exist.
Also, belief in god depresses me more than it uplifts me, so that kinda destroys your argument.

TLDR: Your post is nothing more than pseudo-philosophical tripe.
Behold, ladies and gentlemen! A butthurt /r/atheist whine-botter in the flesh! Please, don't feed it any intelligent discussion or it will shit everywhere and fling it back at you.
Oh bravo! Another ad hominem! You sure showed him!

Please enlighten us more with your bullshit, pseudo-intellectual, hipster philosophy. How about you regurgitate a half-arsed version of the ontological argument or reference some esoteric philosophical book you've never read.

Kill yourself.
Watch, by the time it works itself through that last sentence it will have completely lost control of its faculties and resorted to even more pathetically predictable insults. Fascinatingly dull creatures aren't they?
You don't see a certain sense of hypocracy in that statement? Wow.
Ah, the classic "hypocrite" comeback. Once I even saw one spell the word correctly, it's true. And now, my humble audience, comes comes the best part. If he doesn't reply to this comment, I win the argument he thinks he's having. If he does reply, I get to troll him even more.

Thanks for correcting me on the spelling of that, I've been using it incorrectly for quite a while.
As for the argument itself, the victor any argument is decided solely by the audience that interprets the argument, not merely who gets the last word in.
With this, I bid you adieu, there is clearly no further point in replying to your posts, so I shall not.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
My the thread has devolved into trolling and petty insults far quicker than I thought it would. Quick reminder, gents: keep your own noses clean by showing your debating partner the same level of respect you think you deserve.

[small]This includes not telling them to die for the simple fact that they disagree with you.[/small]

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
Wasn't planning on seeing the movie, definitely won't now.
I read the book a couple years ago and I was kind of on board with the story until the last few chapters, where I placed Pi Patel firmly in spot number 4 of my 'Most Irritating Book Protagonists' list, behind Asher Lev, Ender Wiggin, and Holden Caulfield.