Escape to the Movies: Life of Pi

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Life of Pi

MovieBob takes us on a very special boat trip with Life of Pi.

Watch Video

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
This felt quite Zero Punctuation-y to me, nonetheless, kind of what I expected, save for the apparently awkward Pi.

Also, due to the twist.

Ugh.

AzraelSteel

Aug 11, 2009
I'm impressed a little that EVERYTHING Bob says about this movie is 100% true of the book, as well.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
After hearing so many people heap praise onto "silver linings" it's nice to hear some criticism.

Also, I'll watch Pi when it comes to DVD.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
AzraelSteel said:
I'm impressed a little that EVERYTHING Bob says about this movie is 100% true of the book, as well.
There's a book?

Who wrote it, Nigella Lawson?
/pun

I really had no idea that this was based off a book.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I have a feeling this film will make this years Oscars be like 2008's. Where all the attention will go to Pi and films like Cloud Atlas and Lincoln won't get a second glance cause Pi reminds them of Slumdog and they considered that their pet.

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
I'm kind of surprised Bob didn't mention Life of Pi is based on a book many thought to be un-filmable. I really liked the book, back in high-school, but my tastes and philosophies have changed since then so I'm unsure whether I want to go see the movie. Also, ninja'd, Bob's discription of the film sounds exactly like the book.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
As an agnostic who understands the moral grayness of the "uplifting lie versus crushing truth," I'm not one to be so harsh on the twist.

That said, when I first saw the trailers (and actually recognizing them as trailers instead of short films), my reaction was "huh, this looks like an interesting, visually stimulating narrative with gorgeous visuals and inspiring scenes... for other people." I'll give the early, minimal cut trailers some credit, as they were some very well done trailers that told you everything about the movie with none of the spastic cutting we see in most trailers, but I was not moved to see Avatar in theaters and I was not moved to see this at all.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I wanted to see this because of The Tiger.

But now that the main character Pi has been explained I could care less.

Also the fact I'm Atheist doesn't attract me to the actual plot.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
hentropy said:
Her name's Judy. That's Doug's sister.
you + the creators, and anybody who googled it know that. everybody else knows her as Doug's sister

How did I kind of know that this was going to be a theological piece without even reading the book, or seeing the movie. could it have been the character depicted in the trailers have a primary color choice of white, how he was always in Awww of the beauty of the nature around him, and most of all the scene where his is a starved husk on a beach alah Cast Away.

this being a theological piece is not surprising "the trailers told me so."

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I think you were too harsh on Pi's character. Those "quirky" bits were designed to outline Pi's personality and set up scenarios without being boring. I thought they did a fine job with that. Also, I don't think the movie was explicitly telling you to believe in God (despite Pi's claims that it would). I saw it as more of a bittersweet take on religion than anything. That said, I think they could have done a better job with it. The book definitely feels more affecting by virtue of its written nature.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
Also also, don't get that last Calvin and Hobbes strip. I mean, I get that it was great, one of (if not the) greatest American comic strips, but I just don't get what it's referencing. Is it a statement that C&H is a better "Human and Tiger" story than Pi, or perhaps, amid the current season, that C&H represents the Christmas season in a more self-reflecting and heartfelt manner than pretty much any stale, boring and flat ABC Family production combined? Someone explain...
my thoughts?

Calvin and Hobbs was meant to be a reference to a 'better Life of Pi', give how many C&H stripes where about something with out, what I'm gathering form the review, being annoying or pretentious about it, as Pi seemed to be

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well, it sounds like it's pretty close to the book, so I wouldn't give the screenwriter too much flak.

Though, I thought at the end of the book the investigators to Pi's story actually believed the humans on the boat story as opposed to the animal story. I don't remember though, I read it in High School.

AzraelSteel

Aug 11, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
There's a book?

/pun

Yann Martel. I got to read this for a Religion class. I personally didn't like the religious aspect any more than Bob seems to.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
AzraelSteel said:
There's a book?

/pun

The book won the Man Booker Prize for Fiction (kinda the biggest accolade any author in the Commonwealth can get) and was utterly drooled over by fiction buffs in the UK after it came out.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
MetalMagpie said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
AzraelSteel said:
There's a book?

/pun

The book won the Man Booker Prize for Fiction (kinda the biggest accolade any author in the Commonwealth can get) and was utterly drooled over by fiction buffs in the UK after it came out.
I also recall it gaining a ton of fanfare in Canada, since Yann Martel is Canadian.