Escape to the Movies: Lucy - It's Almost a Black Widow Movie

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Honestly when I first saw the trailer at the MCM Expo a week ago, the concept is similar to Limitless (well the whole using more than 10% of your brain) but using it more offensively at kicking ass! Either way I pass at this one.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I am very displeased with all the people in this topic failing to grasp the importance of suspension of disbelief in fiction.
I think the level to which people are willing to suspend their disbelief varies from person to person. I'm willing to enjoy almost anything mecha without complaining even though realistically they are wildly impractical; but if someone makes a movie propelling misinformation, like say intelligent design, then it will end up bugging me and affect my watching of the film.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
"super powers through vastly increased knowledge" always makes me think of Paul Atreides/Muad'Dib from Dune. Of course his ability to calculate all the possible outcomes of his every action, effectively allowing him to predict but not necessarily alter the future in a meaningful way, wound up bringing him misery more than anything else.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
DrOswald said:
otakon17 said:
Grabehn said:
AxelxGabriel said:
Hey Bob? For all that talk about Knowledge being good and all, are you completely forgetting the fact that the further her powers get, the less empathetic Lucy gets and how little concern she has about randomly killing people?

She killed a taxi driver just cause he didn't speak English for fuck's sake!
Actually that's precisely what getting that mentally advance would provoke really, considering how "emotions" are usually something that gets in the way, and if she's thinking "rationally" and as it seems, she has limited time, getting things done quicker is kinda of what she'd go for.
But if her brain is already that advanced shouldn't she be able to instantly analyze and replicate the guy's language he was speaking? I haven't seen the movie, but if you've got ultimate knowledge and KNOW what he's saying and have the capacity to completely understand something within moments of exposure, I'm pretty sure SPEAKING the language would not be beyond you.
Well, no. The problem is inputs. She may be able to instantly analyse the language and learn it but she needs enough inputs to establish patterns.

Plus, that happens very early on in the process from what I can see. Almost immediately after the process starts, so all she might be aware of is that she is being hopped up on super smart drugs and needs to get to a hospital right now or she may die. All she shows at that point is that she suddenly learned how to punch a guy good and she can shoot well enough to kill 5 or 6 guys that she got the drop on. Not exactly on the level of instant translation of any language.

edit: Plus, I think the cab drivers are supposed to be part of the group of people who kidnapped her.
Okay, if they're apart of the group that kidnapped her, fine. Also, in another point if it's when she starts undergoing the change, she probably hasn't hit that "rational and clear of emotions" stage quite yet.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Worgen said:
Hmm, well that ads that kept touting the 10% thing made me not care about this movie and dislike the idea behind it but the review made it sound interesting. Not great but at least something fun to drink too.

Although I also cant get the image out of my head that this is just a western version of elfen lied.
The name certainly doesn't help dispell that impression.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The "second terrible looking Hercules movie" is the shit. For once, a trailer actually made a movie look dumber than it really was.

I hope we get a review next week.

Adam Jensen said:
I am very displeased with all the people in this topic failing to grasp the importance of suspension of disbelief in fiction.
The thing is, people become more savvy overtime. Ideas that once seemed plausible by the general public eventually get discarded and heavily ridiculed towards the end of their lifespans.

It's kind of like in the 1950's all sentient robots were being created in garages by tinkerers. Nowadays that kind of movie would be laughed out of the theater. Even reboots of those older works have those solitary scientists working for large robotics corporations and using resources from work for their personal projects. People eventually learn that things aren't feasible.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
If you were to be able to control all of the functioning's of your brain wouldn't it leave you a drooling moron due to the sensory overload coming from all of the things you have to manage?

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
It's like the Spoony One said: "There's 'suspension of disbelief' and then there's 'get the fuck out.'"

Suspension of disbelief works in other fiction is due to mitigating factors; Take Superman for example. The guy can fly super fast, is super strong, and can shoot lasers from his eyes and breathe ice on bad guys. We can buy that because he's from Krypton, an alien. We know starting out that the world Superman starts in slightly different from our own. Superman's biology is couched in the fact that it's unprovable by science. Suspension of Disbelief works by operating in that grey area where science can't explain it, but isn't so fantastical it compromises the plot.

Lucy starts from completely bullshit myth that anyone with some understanding anatomy can easily disprove. And even then, her powers are so overpowered that theres no point in even having a plot.

(Am I making sense or should I sober up first?)

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
CelestDaer said:
The big backlash I'm hearing about Lucy is how it's another white girl kidnapped by racial stereotypes as a premise, and then the white girl gets to have her revenge on the kidnappers and that's okay because they started it. Thanks, tumblr.
you mean it isn't? I'm pretty sure I would do the same thing if I gained super powers after being cut up and imprisoned.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Falterfire said:
I think 10% mainly annoys people because it's so well known as false. It's less that it's a handwave and more that it's an obvious one being played straight. Some mumbling about 'super biology science' would've served the same role without continuing something that is well known as a wive's tale.

"Uses 10% of your brain" is pretty well connected in my mind (And probably others) as an excuse for hacks to peddle quackery under the guise of real science - For example that "What the bleep do we know?" movie however long ago. It's a statement known to be false but regularly used by people who legitimately are trying to convince others that it's true, which means it automatically gets a negative response.

So yeah: Not that it's false and known to be false, but that it's false yet still frequently believed to be true.
So, just out of interest (because I admittedly did not know that what I'd been told about this several times was untrue until relatively recently), how did the myth start? And, as we apparently know it to be completely flase, how much of our brain power ARE we actually using on a day to day basis?

EDIT: It also occurs to me that the premise of Lucy, as described by this review, is in broad strokes no different from that of River Tam in Firefly, and I don't remember anybody ever bitching about that...
Have a look here for a start to answer your question:

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

As to River Tam, I agree. I see this movie as little different than the other superhero movies we've had over the past 10 yrs or so. Nobody bitched about how spider man could cling to walls and was able to produce a substance that he shot directly from his wrists. Or a scientist was injected with a serum that turned him into.....

[
Did nobody think to ask where Hulks extra mass came from?

But only 10% of your mind use theory causes people to get upset?!?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Grabehn said:
AxelxGabriel said:
Hey Bob? For all that talk about Knowledge being good and all, are you completely forgetting the fact that the further her powers get, the less empathetic Lucy gets and how little concern she has about randomly killing people?

She killed a taxi driver just cause he didn't speak English for fuck's sake!
Actually that's precisely what getting that mentally advance would provoke really, considering how "emotions" are usually something that gets in the way, and if she's thinking "rationally" and as it seems, she has limited time, getting things done quicker is kinda of what she'd go for.
Ya but bob was arguing that she was becoming a more emotional and caring person the more logical she got. Not saying strict logic wouldn't, and tends to, drive brutal ends justify the means calculations, but Bob was saying she got more moral.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
2. Racism
By putting gibberish on the wall, and implying that its Chinese, its hugely insulting, basically saying "Hey, entire language is bullshit gibberish goobidy gook" That is real racism.
No, it's implying that this was an American production where most people would not be able to read Chinese characters. Compared to all of the things on the list of priorities that comes with making a tripe A blockbuster, making sure characters which most of the audience would not even beginning to be able to interoperate accurate does not rank highly, if at all.

And it shouldn't. Because in the end only the greatest cluster of nerves would interpret such a minor oversight as an assault on the identity of an entire peoples.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
sleeky01 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Falterfire said:
I think 10% mainly annoys people because it's so well known as false. It's less that it's a handwave and more that it's an obvious one being played straight. Some mumbling about 'super biology science' would've served the same role without continuing something that is well known as a wive's tale.

"Uses 10% of your brain" is pretty well connected in my mind (And probably others) as an excuse for hacks to peddle quackery under the guise of real science - For example that "What the bleep do we know?" movie however long ago. It's a statement known to be false but regularly used by people who legitimately are trying to convince others that it's true, which means it automatically gets a negative response.

So yeah: Not that it's false and known to be false, but that it's false yet still frequently believed to be true.
So, just out of interest (because I admittedly did not know that what I'd been told about this several times was untrue until relatively recently), how did the myth start? And, as we apparently know it to be completely flase, how much of our brain power ARE we actually using on a day to day basis?

EDIT: It also occurs to me that the premise of Lucy, as described by this review, is in broad strokes no different from that of River Tam in Firefly, and I don't remember anybody ever bitching about that...
Have a look here for a start to answer your question:

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

As to River Tam, I agree. I see this movie as little different than the other superhero movies we've had over the past 10 yrs or so. Nobody bitched about how spider man could cling to walls and was able to produce a substance that he shot directly from his wrists. Or a scientist was injected with a serum that turned him into.....

[
Did nobody think to ask where Hulks extra mass came from?

But only 10% of your mind use theory causes people to get upset?!?
By this time everyone know the Hulk's transformation is unreal, so the audience just rolls with it.

Unfortunately, there is a percentage of people who either still believes this 10% theory or susceptible to believing it.

It just hasn't gotten to the point where we can treat it as retro super science.

That and as someone on this thread pointed out, it isn't a simple embellishment of something valid, it is total discredited fabrication.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I saw the film last night, and, scientific fallacy aside, it was a FANTASTIC film. I took my family and we all absolutely loved it. Honestly, Guardians of the Galaxy will have to work to top Lucy in my mind. Easily a day 1 blu-ray buy.

It really channeled Akira near the end, I felt. One of the best films I've seen in years.

Also, for those wondering just how pervasive the myth is, you get a giant black screen every so often, with a nice, big, screen filling percentage to show just how much of her brain she's using. It's really not a "Revenge" Flick, either. Within 20 minutes of getting her powers, she's done all the revenge she wants, and spends the rest of the film getting to Morgan Freeman's character to do good for humanity.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Hold on. So she swallows a philosophers stone that's slowly giving her magic powers right? The ability to control the cells of her own body and mater amongst them, and she's supposedly on a race against time before she incorporeal? Is the drug not some kind of mater effecting the cells of her body? Why can't she just stop the progression, giving her Infinite time? Can't give her magic like that and not expect her to save her own life with it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Looks interesting enough, and my girlfriend is interested in watching it. I could rail on about the 10% thing, but why bother. It's an interesting enough concept for a movie, even if the jumping off point is openly known to be bullshit. Who really cares at this point. Remember when watching a movie required a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. Why the hell are people attacking this one because it expects that from the viewers for a single thing that is based on a fallacy. Where are all these nerd/geek culture science snobs when Iron Man builds a suit that can do just about anything. Hell, or even when Batman is forced to use everyone's cell phones in order find the Joker.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
i'll say this, the marvel cinematic universe has given us much more friendly versions of almost all the characters it's used save for maybe captain America who is just himself pretty much. in the comics, tony stark is an asshole, nick fury is not some dreamer who believes in superheroes he barely trusts them, and black widow is kind of a heartless assassin/spy/ mini-nick fury, a black widow movie is not a bad idea exactly but the essence of her character is kind of rooted in not knowing where she is at any given time and the knowledge that where she is and what she's doing isn't very nice or clean. so yeah I would love a female lead super hero movie, and the movies have made black widow WAY more popular than she is in the comics but if you want a female lead who isn't aggressively torturing and killing in the name of protecting SHIELD or whatever fury is currently working on you need to go she-hulk, ms. marvel, or even tigress.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ukomba said:
Hold on. So she swallows a philosophers stone that's slowly giving her magic powers right? The ability to control the cells of her own body and mater amongst them, and she's supposedly on a race against time before she incorporeal? Is the drug not some kind of mater effecting the cells of her body? Why can't she just stop the progression, giving her Infinite time? Can't give her magic like that and not expect her to save her own life with it.
I took this very issue with other movies that had the same kind of idea. There was the movie Phenomenon, where Travolta's character can understand the very fabric of reality and manipulate energy with his thoughts, but then the brain tumor that gives him that very ability is going to kill him and he isn't smart enough or able to even stop it's growth. Then there was Limitless (a movie I very much liked). He was so smart that he could learn a language without any issue, predict what the financial markets were going to do (something that is so complex that it's actually impossible to obtain the level of predictability he had), but he had to hire a lab full of people who were a fraction of his intelligence to find out how it worked.

It's like a glaring plot hole that is so large, people can't even see it as they fall into it.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
Perhaps the day we can treat the 10% thing as retro super science is also the day when it also the butt of a joke in several sci-fi or superhero pastiches.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think human beings have the potential to be gods no matter how much of our brains potential we gain access to, but as the premise to a movie this does sound interesting.