Escape to the Movies: Man of Steel

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Hito-Chan said:
Supes wasn't f#$@ing around with Zod, he couldn't afford to, he had to throw everything he had to stop Zod. If Zod wasn't stopped, the entire planet was screwed, if a few people end up dead, so what? What difference does it make? Besides, most of the buildings around the World Engine were already evactuated, and quite a bit of the wreckage was actually Zod's fault anyway.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Hito-Chan said:
Supes wasn't f#$@ing around with Zod, he couldn't afford to, he had to throw everything he had to stop Zod. If Zod wasn't stopped, the entire planet was screwed, if a few people end up dead, so what? What difference does it make? Besides, most of the buildings around the World Engine were already evactuated, and quite a bit of the wreckage was actually Zod's fault anyway.
Except he doesn't keep the fight in that part of the city.

But even in the Smallville fight Superman tells everyone to stay inside their houses. Then when a tanker truck is thrown right at him Superman DODGES IT!!! It then slams into buildings and destroys them.

This is the part where I realized they completely missed Supermans character. Superman would have jumped right in front of that to save lives. I mean that's standard super hero stuff.

Then the end.. ZOD WINS!!. Zod says "You have to kill me" what does superman do????
He could have found a way to send him back to the negative zone or put him in some type of stasis or freezing.

Zod even talks about how Superman's compasion is his weakness yet he really isn't that compasionate. Why not have that play in the fights more?

mrhumble1

Dec 16, 2012
Hito-Chan said:
mrhumble1 said:
piscian said:
If I'm spoiling a bit sorry but superman basically kills everyone and is ultimately responsible for the deaths of millions while basically saving about 10 people throughout the movie.
Um, this is why the movie is getting weird reviews. People like this guy see the movie but they don't WATCH IT OR PAY ANY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS GOING ON.

You say Superman killed millions?? You wanna back that up?? No, because you can't. Who was it that came here with the intention of genocide?? Zod. Who was it that made the call to put the World Engine on right top of Metropolis? Zod. Was it Superman?? No, it wasn't, SO HOW CAN YOU HOLD HIM RESPONSIBLE???

Superman actually SAVED BILLIONS by coming out on top in the end.

How can anyone say they watched the movie yet come to such ridiculous conclusions?? It's like saying Bambi is responsible for his mother's death.
No, it's not. Superman spent 90% of his (waaaay too long) boss fight with Zod slamming him through buildings in an incredibly densely populated city. We may not have seen any people in those buildings, but logically, they had to have been there or near there- it's not like New York Metropolis had any time to evacuate. To put this in perspective: 9/11 consisted of two hits to the tops of two buildings, and there were around 3,000 deaths. Superman slammed Zod through at least six buildings; that's 9,000 or more deaths on his shoulders. He didn't even seem to care about the people in the city or the irreplaceable architectural landmarks being destroyed (cough Grand Central cough).

Not only did he make no effort to draw Zod away from the city, he was actively destroying it himself. I actually found the part where he's trying to stop Zod's laser vision from hitting that family kind of laughable- he was fine with letting Zod bring the roof down and kill them and anyone else trapped in there, but killing them directly was horribly inhumane.
I can't believe I have to state the obvious but I guess some people just don't like to use their brains.

What do you suggest Superman could have done?? He was up against someone as strong and as destructive as he is and who wanted to murder as many humans as possible. Should Superman have said "Oh please Mr Evil Genocidal Murderer, please come over to this remote desert and fight me so nobody gets hurt!" Zod's goal at that point was not to kill Supes. What he wanted to do is kill humans and create as much destruction as possible. Do you really think he would have followed Superman somewhere?? Do you think Superman could have just grabbed him and taken him wherever he wanted??

Also, and this is the most important point of all, Superman was not responsible for ANY OF THIS. All of the responsibility is on Zod's shoulders because he is the one who initiated all of the conflict. Superman is only one guy and up against a lot of tech and many other super-beings. He got some help from the military, sure, but that was necessary because he was on the other side of the planet stopping the other World Engine. Did Superman choose this?? NO, he didn't. He did the best he could with what he had.

immortalfrieza said:
Hito-Chan said:
Agreed.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
mrhumble1 said:
I can't believe I have to state the obvious but I guess some people just don't like to use their brains.

What do you suggest Superman could have done?? He was up against someone as strong and as destructive as he is and who wanted to murder as many humans as possible. Should Superman have said "Oh please Mr Evil Genocidal Murderer, please come over to this remote desert and fight me so nobody gets hurt!" Zod's goal at that point was not to kill Supes. What he wanted to do is kill humans and create as much destruction as possible. Do you really think he would have followed Superman somewhere?? Do you think Superman could have just grabbed him and taken him wherever he wanted??

Also, and this is the most important point of all, Superman was not responsible for ANY OF THIS. All of the responsibility is on Zod's shoulders because he is the one who initiated all of the conflict. Superman is only one guy and up against a lot of tech and many other super-beings. He got some help from the military, sure, but that was necessary because he was on the other side of the planet stopping the other World Engine. Did Superman choose this?? NO, he didn't. He did the best he could with what he had.

Look at the Avengers fight at the end. There you have them actually making efforts to save people. Or even the old superman films. The one thing they got right was Superman constantly having to stop fighting to save people. Or risking himself to save people.

Superman could still have not killed Zod. There are ways of stoping homicidal super men with out killing them. SEE AVENGERS. Like Bob said what happens in the next superman when he faces someone who wants to wipe out all life on earth?
See my above post on the Smallville fight

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Honestly I am still raging way to much right now to properly articulate why I ffffucking haaaate this movie. I?m not even a comic book fan I have read Red Son and Kindome Come that?s it that?s...okay I read those 90?s Superman is dead stories in 07 too but I am no way a hard cor comic fan. I am however a hardcore Superman MOVIE fan and fuck.... That was Mass Effect with a Red CAPE!

That movie is just so cold and he?s right there is no chemistry between Louis or Superman or anyone really!
And Dear god it is such a disjointed broken mess that everything just feels bum rushed.

*calms down*

That. Was. Not. A. Superman movie.
To this day my favourite Superman movie and secretly one of my favourite movies is still yeah I?m saying it Superman Returns. That was a hell of a beautiful movie. So full of heart...I?m gonna have to watch it now just to get rid of the horrible taste in my mouth that this movie has left.

EDIT: I still think I need to let my mind settle and just take some time to think over it. Maybe like the Avengers I'll actually like this movie some day.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
Bob, I pretty much agree with you on this movie. This is an imperfect movie... and some people can't seem to deal with that.

It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't the best, either. Bob said that. Yet apparently SOME fans (not all) take offense when someone even says that much.

Seriously, I've been looking at comment sections for various reviewers and over and over I'm seeing the usual "What's wrong with critics? Don't they like movies?" (often in far more uglier tones). What irks me the most is the absolute juvenile approach they take. Man of Steel has become the Transformers II of this summer, defended by people who seem to think that all a movie needs is a roller-coaster-ride mentality.

So folks, here's the truth: Man of Steel has flaws. Whether or not you think the flaws overshadow the good is a matter of opinion, but people like Bob (and me) are going to point them out. Because they're there, and no amount of cheerleading is going to change that.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
RTK1576 said:
Bob, I pretty much agree with you on this movie. This is an imperfect movie... and some people can't seem to deal with that.

It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't the best, either. Bob said that. Yet apparently SOME fans (not all) take offense when someone even says that much.

Seriously, I've been looking at comment sections for various reviewers and over and over I'm seeing the usual "What's wrong with critics? Don't they like movies?" (often in far more uglier tones). What irks me the most is the absolute juvenile approach they take. Man of Steel has become the Transformers II of this summer, defended by people who seem to think that all a movie needs is a roller-coaster-ride mentality.

So folks, here's the truth: Man of Steel has flaws. Whether or not you think the flaws overshadow the good is a matter of opinion, but people like Bob (and me) are going to point them out. Because they're there, and no amount of cheerleading is going to change that.
You know, the same thing happened when that poop stain, The Dark Knight Rises, came out. It was rightfully criticized for being a bloated mess of a movie, but not necessarily a bad one. The fanboys went on an apeshit jihad and accused anyone not liking their little treasure of having no taste and of not being able to "understand" what Nolan was trying to do; ironically, it was those same fanboys who eventually got the commenting system over at Rotten Toamatoes shut down because of their toxic reaction to less-than-stellar reviews of TDKR. I'm seeing a similar reaction from folks here.

To paraphrase the guys over at Red Letter Media: "The Man of Steel was made to sell its own trailers". I think that's a perfect summation of MoS. All spectacle, no soul.

DevilMayhem666

Apr 30, 2011
Just saw and I give it a 7.5/10. I say that this is a massive improvement to Superman Returns. Where a bland Lois Lane couldn't connect the dots that Clark Kent and her lover Superman were one of the same as they were both missing for 5 years and look alike. Superman stalking Lois whom he left without saying goodbye, ect.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
A movie bashing eugenics... fun, original, edgy...

*sigh*... really? This is what we're doing with supes now?

Fuck me...

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Heavy. Handed. Religious. Undertones.
Seriously, they could have just taken the "S" and called him "Space Jesus", for fucks sake.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Spoilers!!!!!
Start
in
two
more
lines:
There are the usual "Superman could totaly do that, but the human he's gripping/saving would totaly die" scenes, which I won't gripe on because they are intrinsic to every Superman comic & movie.
They tried to go gritty with this, and it kind-of works, but it's obviously PG13 (sigh) so they only go gritty for show and not really-really. Like, all those office buildings he gets bashed through, bowling all that office furniture aside? Why wasn't there anyone in there? Like, shouldn't Supes be bowling and tearing apart innocent bystanders while batteling his foe? THAT would have been gritty. And morally interesting.
But no. It's the middle of the day, the Daily Planet is hard at work - but entire skyscrapers of offices have zero people in them.
There's also this:
Supes "has to" kill someone in this movie and it really gripes me that the same people who got THAT right with Batman couldn't with Superman. What the actual fuck. Batman/Superman do NOT kill. Not ever. It's the invisible line you have to draw for yourself if you are a potential extinction level threat to the population, should you ever decide it's OK to start just killing all the bad guys.
What were they thinking? Jonathan Kent tells him (in the trailer even) that he "maybe" should have let a bus full of kids freaking drown. What? That's like Batman's father grabbing his son in his death throes and telling him to murder his killers entire family.
That scene in the movie is akin to Batman getting into a tight spot and suddenly producing a Bat-Revolver to headshot the Joker at point-blank range.
Part of him being the super man is because options like that aren't even in his playbook. A last-resort killing is an understandable necessity if you are a mere mortal like you and I. This, however, is freaking SUPERman and he should always, always find a way.
And THERE FREAKING IS! The last phantom drive ship, which Supes crashes on purpose!!!!, would have enabled him to just dump his enemy at any given location in the universe, stranding him there forever.
This new, gritty-but-not-100%-gritty Superman does not think things through from scene 1 - he solves problems with his hands/fists and thus the escalation at the end is not really a surprise, but a sad, sad conclusion of the actions of a misunderstood character.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I saw it today, and it was really quite surprisingly good. The antagonists didn't pull their punches and went for the throat, which went a long way to explaining just why Superman couldn't save/fix/protect everyone and everything from harm. About my only complaint is that the crucifix impression he made while in space was a little much. The scene when he asks advice from a priest was alright though because it makes sense that a man raised in small town America would be the type of religious person who would place their faith in a higher power. It's part of what makes him the sort of man who would freely allow mankind to choose their own destiny and make their own mistakes, rather than place them under the benevolent dictatorship of his Kryptonian thumb.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Just saw this, but, uh, how in the world is this supposed to have been "dark" or "grim" or "brooding"? Superman saves the WORLD, not to mention a busload of children, oil rig workers, doesn't rise to the bait when someone's attacking him and takes the high road, grins like an idiot when he learns to fly, only kills the main villain because the guy literally forces him to, and only fights in the city limits because, again, the villain forces him to. It's an origin story. If he'd magically been a million times better and stronger than Zod from the get-go and flew the two of them off into space it would have utterly ruined an otherwise an impressive villain.

Come on dude, this ends with sunshine and rainbows and a gag bonus scene - it's hardly The Road.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I'm extremely sorry for necroing this topic
But there is something bugging me since I saw this when it just came out.
So I simply MUST ask?

What's up with 90's Superman?
Why he have a gun?
I mean for average person firearm multiplies ones lethality.
Superman already can devastate small city just by flying through it.
So why such powerful creature needs a gun?
Does this gun shoots strategic fusion bombs, that can blow half a continent in one shot?
It really messed with my mind for last 3 months.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
... so why did the Kryptonian Doctor have a German accent?

I know, I know, it's a really petty gripe in a movie that us just full of things to gripe about, but seriously, why the German accent?

Sergey Sund said:
What were they thinking? Jonathan Kent tells him (in the trailer even) that he "maybe" should have let a bus full of kids freaking drown. What? That's like Batman's father grabbing his son in his death throes and telling him to murder his killers entire family.
Also this. I'm not a huge Superman fan as he's always been just too powerful as a character for me to find him interesting, but there are aspects I have a great deal of respect for. Pa Kent is a big one, and it seemed like the writers have an entirely different Jonathan Kent in their minds than what I've had in mine. All of the scenes with Pa Kent were jarring to me, and took me out of the movie.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
What the hell happened to Chipman after he made this video? This was probably the perfect review of this movie he gave. What the heck made him snap and pump out the reviews where he acted like Amazing Spider-Man 2 and every other movie he reviewed afterwards killed his family and raped his dog?

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Logience said:
What the hell happened to Chipman after he made this video? This was probably the perfect review of this movie he gave. What the heck made him snap and pump out the reviews where he acted like Amazing Spider-Man 2 and every other movie he reviewed afterwards killed his family and raped his dog?
I don't know what this site's policy for necroposting is, but this is exactly my sentiment. At some point in the last couple of years Chipman kind of fell back on really crude, grossly over-exaggerated hyperbole instead of the balanced appraisal I initially liked watching him for. I mean, he always had a tendency to go on emotive rants, but now he relies on them like a crutch.

Compare his review of this film to his review of its sequel [http://moviebob.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/review-batman-v-superman-dawn-of.html?spref=tw] and you really see a stark difference in his review style.