Escape to the Movies: Man of Tai Chi

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Keanu Reeves... meh, but I am excited for Bill and Ted 3 and possibly 47 Ronin(If you haven't see the trailer, check it out. CGI Galore!)

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
People sometimes say why do you bother with movie reviews, can't you make up your own mind? And my reply is that sometimes good films will slip under the radar because they weren't pushed as hard as some of the crappy films that get released each year. This is a perfect example of that, a film that totally slipped under my radar but thanks to a good review now I really want to watch it.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Jet Li starred in Tai Chi Master in 1993 so I did know it could be used in fighting. Is a funny scene in the film where Jet Li and the other lead carry on a conversation while breaking bricks over their heads.

Tai Chi Master trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2icoQWmbocU

I have a lot of stuff on, will try and catch a Man of Tai Chi in the future.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
Salad Is Murder said:
NOAH!

What?

I WANT YOU TO BUILD....AN ARK!

Riiiiight. What's an ark?
I didn't want this to go unnoticed. You win my allotment of internet points today.

What's a cubit?

voo-bah
voo-bah
voo-bah...
NOAH!

Yeah?

HOW LONG CAN YOU TREAD WATER?

Fuck I love that sketch, Bill Cosby rules.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
THIS WEEK!!!
First I hear about The Raid 2 and then this pops up!
Two more apparently good hand to hand combat movies to look forward to!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Guffe said:
THIS WEEK!!!
First I hear about The Raid 2 and then this pops up!
Two more apparently good hand to hand combat movies to look forward to!
Iko Uwais, the main character from the Raid, is even in this film haha. Definitely need to watch this.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
You know Keanu was just chomping at the bit for the chance to say "Finish him!" on film. And you know what? Kudos to him for making an entertaining movie on his first directorial gig. People mock his quasi-robotic acting method, possibly the result of him trying to cast off the Ted persona from his early years and frankly I don't blame him, but I actually enjoy a lot of his films. Yeah, the Matrix is the Matrix but Johnny Mnemonic is a lot of fun too in an over-the-top kind of way, and for all the complaints die-hard comic fans had I really liked Constantine (yes, even Shiah Labeouf, who's cocky-teenager personality make more sense in the movie because he's playing a cocky-teenager).

Now if 47 Samurai could just get released already, because I'm honestly interested.
I also like Keanu. That monologue in Mnemonic is one of the funniest and best I've ever heard.

Really looking forward to watching and sharing this with friends, and I can't wait for 47 Ronin!

As for Megan Ellison and Spike Jonze...

I'm sorry, I couldn't really care any less. I don't need another "gritty modern day shooter," however good the story, in the vein of 24.

And whatever Sofia Coppolla's husband can produce, I will hold judgment until I see proof of concept.

Both talented directors, I'm sure, but their movies never much struck any chord with me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Not much was going to be said on this film if the Noah trailer took up the first third. I am interested though given the caliber of the director's work, plus I wonder if it was successful would it open the door to other parts of the Bible? Revelation is the obvious first choice usually.

hermes200 said:
...goes to google Megan Ellison and Spike Jonze... Why would I get excited? Got it, they are kind of big names in the movie business and one of them is an heir of a CEO fortune, but there is no reason for me to believe they are even competent at video games.

Remember when they announced Gaghan was hired to write a script for a game? Call of Duty: Ghost was the end result. How about the Wachowsky writing Enter the Matrix? That was a good one, right? The composer of Pi and Black Swan doing videogames music? Mass Effect 3. Modern Warfare 3 is the result of the writer of Crash and Million Dollar Baby wanting to get into video games, and the creative mind of Steven Spielberg gave us Boom Blox.

So, no thank you. Having talent on movies means absolutely nothing when talking about games, because of the same reason MovieBob mentioned in this week intermission. 90% of the people that try to make that jump thinks of movies like high art, and video games like odd jobs that can open them doors. Most of them don't understand the medium, don't really care about it and believe its simple.

Every time I hear someone wanting "to get into games", like it was so easy you would master it simply by applying (after all, how hard can it be once you have mastered movies? right?), I just know the end result will be forgettable, at best.
Yep, I have to agree with this. It's not even the lacking quality these games seems to have but as pointed pointed out, the arrogance that one can automatically do well, that it'll be somehow easier. Even if that is never said, it comes across that way. I'm not saying these two will also fall into that trap but I'm not going to get excited on film credits alone.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Ronack said:
I wonder how they're going to explain how mankind got back on its feet after God flooded the world and Noah and his family were all that's left ...
They're saving that for the sequel. Noah 2: Incest With A Vengeance.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
This looks good. Will add to my watch list. Keanu I've always liked while some dislike him and I applaud him trying something new under his own banner.

As for the film to game creators, I say don't discount them. Boom Blox was a cool game that came from Spielberg and the recent Brothers: AToTS was also from the mind of a film industry guy and that's also a good game. I think this is happening more as creators seek to create their own stuff free of big studios fiddling and meddling. If tried via an indie effort, they can achieve that.

The huge irony is that David Cage has been trying to meld film and games, and its kind of luke warm in success. He's been in games for ages and I still don't own a game of his that I openly enjoy. I kinda wish he'd just make a game without too much of the cinema stuff, while I can appreciate where some of his work has taken games a few steps forward.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
sleeky01 said:
drthmik said:
Seriously, Movie Bob
try READING the bible before claiming you know what's in it 'cause over half that BULLSHIT you talked about being there...

isn't
Rawbeard said:
Why did I have to skip over some bible bullshit? Just put that shit at the end, so we can easily avoid it.

Oh fantastic. The entertainment from this upcoming movie is beginning early.
Usualy we get timestamp where to skip too when he does that kind of advertisement. That pisses me off, not related to the movie itself.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Ok, I don't know about Jonze's plans, but the thing to take away from Megan Ellison's bio is that she is a producer (which, for video games, translates to publisher) who is willing to take risks.

Haven't we been bitching for years (and rightfully so, IMO) about the typical AAA publisher's over-reliance on sequels and their stupid quest for broader and broader appeal for all games that are then expected to sell 5 million copies to make any of their money back??
OK, generally "producer" doesn't equate to "publisher". Producers are more like the mediators between the production team and the distributor (the big company investing the money, the closer equivalent of a publisher). Their job is to pitch the film to the distributor and, once it's been greenlit, essentially be everybody's boss.

I looked over Ellison's bio, and it seems she's one of the rare exceptions, having gone on to found her own indie distribution company. Which is great and all, but remember that "indie" in the games industry means the exact opposite of "AAA". And the indie game scene seems to be doing just fine on its own so far. If she can somehow scrape together the cash to give the EAs and Ubisofts of the world some serious competition in the mainstream market, then more power to her. At the very least she won't be just another creator trying to break into an unfamiliar medium, because she's not a creator to begin with.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Ha! Would have never expected a Noah's Arc movie... but I'm game. Looks entertaining and the effects look decent at very least.
I bet some people who aren't religious etc. will have issues with Noah's Arc because they don't believe in the bible, yet will be happy enough watching the LOTR and Matrix films out there ^_^
As Bob said, the internet 'bla bla' over this film will be entertaining.

Also, I had the chance to watch Man of Tai Chi, but didn't... not sure why, but it looked meh. But this made it look pretty entertaining and I could do with a decent action flick again.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I skipped the digression with Noah on first watch because I just wanted to see the movie review of the week but I went back and watched the Noah bit just now and from what little is shown in the trailer it does look like it will be worth watching and I hope that it is every bit as weird and wonderful as Bob suggests it will be.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Oh god... Please don't talk about the PS4... Dear god please don't. I really hate when Bob talks about anything game related.

Hellfireboy

Mar 11, 2013
As for the first part of the video, I am a Christian and have put a good deal of time into studying the Bible and, without a doubt, the first books of the Bible, especially Genesis where the story of Noah appears, is genuinely weird from a modern perspective.

As for the rest, Tai Chi has in fact been used in action movies as a straight up fighting style before. If you know what you're looking at you'll realize that Morpheus favored Tai Chi as his style of choice in The Matrix and the sword style used in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was Tai Chi. The temple that the characters in Crouching Tiger came from, Wu Dan Shan more commonly known in the west as the Wu Tang mountain, is a real place, one of the five temples of Shaolin, and the place where Tai Chi Chuan was created.