Escape to the Movies: Monsters University

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Super Not Cosmo said:
Damn Bob, you've really been letting that Townie accent of yours come out lately.
I know, I don't watch him a lot, but I noticed he sounded like Kripke from the Big Bang Theory this episode.

I knew it couldn't stand up to the original, since the original had a well, ORIGINAL plot, but I'm glad to see it can stand as a comedy movie with well liked characters. I guess this is going to be a ninety minute long Mikes Car short.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
I really think Pixar has lost its touch. Cars was meh, never bothered with Cars 2, Brave is a half baked Disney pricess movie. The best that came from that publisher recently is Wreck it Ralph. Have they switched places?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Bob, has anyone ever told you that your slipping accent is incredibly distracting? I can't believe I haven't realized it till now.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Huh, what appeared to be a pointless sequel/prequel that doesn't actually suck? Colour me surprised.

Apr 17, 2009
Was it just me or was Bob talking slower than normal this week? Ah well, glad to hear Monsters University isn't another Cars 2 even if it isn't quite up with Toy Story 2

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
There's one thing I definitely like about Megaman being in Smash Brothers.

The main heroes of my fanfiction series are now together canonically.

CAPTCHA: you are happy

Damn straight, Captcha.

OT: You aren't alone in your opinion, Bob. A couple of the newspapers in my neck of the woods feel the same as you did. Generally: "Not a great movie, but still very good."

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Gonna skip this one in the theaters. They're only making this and the Finding Nemo sequel because the contract Disney made Pixar sign insisted that they provide "bankable franchises" so they are under contract to produce sequels.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Every time I see someone knocking Brave it always confuses me a little, as I thought it was fantastic, easily one of my top five favorite Pixar movies. But then, I'm a sucker for Celtic lore and music, so it's possible that I'm biased. :p

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
As good as the opening sequence from Up? Brother, you had better be right about that, or else. You don't say something like that lightly.

And I'm really kind of getting tired of this constant jumping back and forth between newscaster accent and Boston accent business. Pick one and stick with it, at least for the duration of a single video.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
bafrali said:
Bob, has anyone ever told you that your slipping accent is incredibly distracting? I can't believe I haven't realized it till now.
Glad I'm not the only one who is drivin nuts by it. I have to shut the episode off if he does it too much. It's not even that either 'voice' is bad. It's just the god damn switching is so maddeningly annoying. I wonder if he watches each episode before posting it.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
So it's not as awful as the trailers made it look but I can be comfortable in waiting for the dvd release instead as I have done with all of Pixars B-C tier films. The others being Cars and Brave.

Spankable

Apr 8, 2009
I wish he'd reviewed World War Z, spare me from it.

WWZ isn't a patch on the book & barely follow the storys, heart or lore of it. It makes no real sense on its own merits & they put a happy ending on it as ugly as the boat not sinking in titanic.

do your self a favour, read the book, or even reread it. I've just downloaded the audio book.

fingers X'd for Pacific Rim

Imperator-Zor

Nov 18, 2009
Just one point I would like to make, maybe because I really liked Monsters Inc. but I heard people ragging on this movie in trailers.

"Oh, its a prequel to monsters inc! It is going to inevitably suck! Pixar sucks now!"

Um, no. I have not seen anything in the trailers or otherwise which made me think that this would surely suck.

Zor

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Has Bob always had that Boston accent? I just remember him saying certain things kinda differently in his past videos.

OT: Personally, I really liked this movie. Sure, being a prequel, I knew what was eventually going to happen, but I do like learning how it happened.

I really liked the introspective scenes between Mike and Sully towards the end. Personally, that's one of the things I loved about the first movie. They played off of each other very well in that movie, and they played off of each other very well in this movie as well.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Not only are they adding a sequel to Finding Nemo, they're also coming up with Toy Story 4 and another cars movie

RIP Pixar.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
Every time I see someone knocking Brave it always confuses me a little, as I thought it was fantastic, easily one of my top five favorite Pixar movies. But then, I'm a sucker for Celtic lore and music, so it's possible that I'm biased. :p
i didnt think it was bad it just...wasnt what i expected. i feel the trailer was very misleading. i thought it was going to be a movie about female independence and it kind of was, for like the first half hour. then it suddenly turned in to a mother daughter bonding movie.

also, does anyone know how to close the eve ad that surrounds the video? i could find any x or close button to click on and had to refresh the page in order to close it

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hermes200 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Danm I thought this week is World War Z which I've just came back home watching it. Good to know that Monster University isn't that bad compared to hte prvious two Pixar film so I guess I may give this a watched if I'm going to the cinema soon (I probably end up watching Pacific Rim next).
How is it?
It's OK-ish, but lacking the awesomeness of a disaster movie or the scariness of a horror movie. It's a fun time, just not excelling in any memorable way. I suspect non-fans of the book will hae a better time watching it.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
00slash00 said:
i didnt think it was bad it just...wasnt what i expected. i feel the trailer was very misleading. i thought it was going to be a movie about female independence and it kind of was, for like the first half hour. then it suddenly turned in to a mother daughter bonding movie.
That's actually one of the main reasons I liked it so much. Tomboy princess rebelling against her conservative parents (or parent, whichever) and making a statement about female independence? Seen it dozens of times. But make the conservative mother one of the two mains, have her survive the whole movie, and make the focus on them trying to repair their relationship while reconciling their very different viewpoints? And oh yeah, the mother gets turned into a freaking bear, something that her loving husband absolutely despises? Now that was a new one.

Captcha: Great for Windows 7 (referring to Internet Explorer). Why do you make me speak lies, captcha?

Aabglov

Jul 28, 2009
There may be a very good reason for this, but why was he speaking with a mild Boston accent the whole time? Does he always? I've watched many of his reviews and I feel like he doesn't normally.