Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Metalrocks said:
sounds good and i sure are interested, but for some odd reason my cinema, who usually plays 2D and 3D version of the same movie,only has it in 3D.
not really fond of 3D and it costs too much. looks like i have to wait till its out on dvd so i can watch it in normal 2D version.
seriously??? this movie one should watch not only in 3D but in Imax 3D. well go wait, I will go see this movie the way it was meant to be seen, Imax 3D.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
So its a big stupid action movie basically? I'm down with that. I was hopin for big stupid action movie where the main point was to see giant robots punch giant aliens in the face. Hopin to go see it soon once I have a bit of pocket change.

Though why isn't Bob rippin this for bein a big stupid action movie? Thought he hated those?

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Daemascus said:
I saw it at a preview screening yesterday, and I very much enjoyed it. Huge battle scenes, not too much bloat between bloat between them, and finaly a movie that decided it could end with out a massive sequel hook in it. A refreshingly self contained movie. GO SEE IT
Del Toro confirmed a sequel is in preproduction.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
So I just got back from seeing it and I have to say the acting is over the top terrible, but the movie was so fun I didn't mind. I think that's a first for me.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Unsung heroes of 'Pacific Rim': Asian IT Support team.

Oh, and did the two scientists remind you of anyone?

//images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121028161155/bigbangtheory/images/7/74/S6EP05_-_Leonard_yells_at_Sheldon.jpg

And a film with so much COLOUR! That was wonderful to see!

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Now i need to borrow a tenner :( poor but damn I was tettering on the brink and you sold it to me Bob.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Saw this in an advance screening on Wednesday in Imax 3D and it was breathtaking to watch. Besides having amazing visuals and action scenes, unlike so many summer blockbuster movies, I actually cared about the characters.

Edit: It was also hilarious to see Charlie Day as a scientist. He's pretty much the exact same person as he is in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia only much smarter and he's not always craving cheese.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Though why isn't Bob rippin this for bein a big stupid action movie? Thought he hated those?
Could be because Pacific Rim is actively trying. It wasn't condescending or pretentious, it seemed to be more interested in pleasing the audience and having fun at the expense of itself than it was trying to be a "genre defining masterpiece". All the actors seemed to be aware of the cheese, however they ran towards it and embraced it as an integral part of the plot that the plot would be less without rather than trying to change the tone mid-film for the sake of... art? That and they all looked like they were having fun.

It was just a fun film to watch, the Independence Day comparison is apt.

As an aside I remember earlier someone mentioned something about...

... the idea that conventional weapons were somehow handwaved out of the plot. Towards the end of the film a Kaiju took a megaton nuke to the face and swam it off, even though this was the eponymous "boss" of the film it did a lot to illustrate the important "Newton>Teller" point that the film made

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
PuckFuppet said:
chozo_hybrid said:
mbarker said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bet you there will be a sequal next summer and it is going to suck balls.
I seriously doubt there will be a sequel, not spoiling, just saying.
They're already writing it, but supposedly del Toro is hands off in regards the content and will probably only be involved as a director or producer.
Well then, looks like I'm eating my words for dinner tonight XD

I guess it could be done, but they have a lot to live up to now.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Not seen it yet, but will get to my local flicks as quickly as possible. It looks so good I may have watch it twice.

After the Eva reboot movies not being that great, this fits that gap nicely.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
i liked this movie cause it actually had sci-fi in it while being a great action movie too

i did feel a major disconnect between the cgi and the live action though, near the start of the movie there is a scene where one of the robots is damaged and crashes down on the beach the humans there dont run away screaming or react in any way

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I saw Pacific Rim in 3D today on one of my two days off because I had to work tomorrow and didn't want to work around the movie theaters schedule and my job's schedule to see it after work tomorrow.

Bob summed it up perfectly. It's a fucking blast, especially in 3D (well worth the price and cold popcorn I had). What else is there to say to get you into theaters but BIG HONKIN' ROBOTS FIGHTING CITY CRUSHING MONSTERS FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION WITH RETRACTABLE ARM SWORDS AND ROCKET PUNCHES TO THE FACE!!! Plus its got Ron "fuck mothering" Perlman and the voice of GLaDOS for the main character's robot Gypsy Danger. That's a win-win for geeks like me.

This movie rocks and has no traces of cynical, bloated, wastes from previous of this year. Man of Steel can mope around all he wants and red-face Johnny Depp can try on another weird hat, I'm making plans to see this movie AND Despicable Me 2 (another fun movie to watch Bob should have done a review about) next week.

EDIT: Forgot about the new pics of Electro from Amazing Spider-Man 2. My only question is this, if I move my finger around the top of Jamie Foxx's head, will the electricity follow it around? ;P

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Wow, suddenly the Tuesday rant of "well, everyone should see it so it doesn't bomb" thing now looks border-lining pathetic, childish and paranoid. I might see it this year, I might not. It seems so safe that it's worth putting it away for when I want a film that will entertain but not deliver anything beyond "entertain".

I still look forward to Only God Forgives, which looks like it might be deeply polarising and might bomb. However, it looks very stylised and interesting.

triggrhappy94 said:
I'm hoping this gives del Toro the money to make At the Mountains of Madness
I recall him saying before he's not going to make that film, ever.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Why the hell is everyone acting like something fresh? Isn't there a huge budget movie about robots playing fisticuffs like every summer? (Transformers, Real Steel etc.) This is supposed to be a creative new idea for a movie because this time the robots are punching lizards instead of other robots? I'll probably end up renting it because I like Del Toro, but the premise seems boring to me.

I honestly don't get the hype for this movie.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
WanderingFool said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard you gush about a movie so much.
Forgot Scott Pilgrim?
No. I don't think he gushed this much over Scott Pilgrim. He gushed a lot about it, but not this much. ...at least not in his initial review anyway.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013

Perhaps I have watched too much mecha anime but I never expected it to be a live action Evangelion. Mostly because the trailers looked too positive. I mean Stacker Pentecost's speech in the trailer should have been a dead givaway that this would not be like Eva. Way too much hope.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I AM planning to go see this movie, so I don't feel bad for not seeing it before this review. Also, there seems to be quite a few comments... usually it's because MovieBob said something controversial or something. I wonder why that is...