Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Pacific Rim

MovieBob gives us his take on the the upcoming blockbuster Pacific Rim.

Watch Video

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
The movie was pretty good but I have to say...those 'Australian' characters had the worst 'Australian' accents ever.

It's not doing so well over here in Australia (opened in 4th place) and that poster of Sydney in rubble? Yeah...not in the movie. A Kaiju attacks Sydney briefly but there's hardly any destruction as it's quickly disposed of by the 'Australian'-piloted Jaeger

The action was intense and epic although I don't think it will do very well unfortunately. Mainly because it is camp and full of cheesy acting/dialogue. It will probably be a box-office flop (especially with a $180 Million budget) and end up a cult classic like Starship Troopers.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
The best part of the movie is that it does not feel like it's two hours long. It's upbeat, funny, and a breath of fresh air in a really dreary summer.

Now I will nitpick and say the movie commits a few horrid sins, namely the exposition dumps. But that was balanced out by just how fun it is.

slave_car

Jul 8, 2010
The only thing that I disliked about it, and I do mean ONLY, is the fact that there was a "bomb defused at 00:00:001" moment. I don't want to spoil it, but I think whoever saw it will know what I mean. Other then that I absolutely loved it. A true spectacle.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about it Bob?

Anyway, it's nice to hear that not every movie that looks like a Michael Bay film has to have the quality of a Michael Bay film. Thank you Del Torro, now make Hellboy 3!

Actually, how cool would it have been if it turned out this movie secretly was Hellboy 3 all along, and he was just messing with us by not revealing it in the title or trailers.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Retrograde said:
Is this up a hell of a lot earlier then usual or what? Sweet. Lunchtime Escape.
Yeah I was surprised too...I can't believe I got first post because normally he posts his vids when I am asleep.

Dec 14, 2009
Gush more Bob :D

I saw it this morning.

It's alright, not great by any means, and I'm easy to impress.

I don't know, I think I was just expecting it to be more like this in terms of fun.

What is awesome, is that the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

I repeat

[HEADING=1]the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'[/HEADING]

Now I wait for Platinum games to make a movie...

Hey, it could happen :D

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Oh sure Bob!
I'll just grab my bike and pedal that sucker across the fucking Atlantic.

I'm so goddamn jealous right now.

But hey at least it's supposed to be good so I do have something to look forward to at least

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Well it's nice to know this live action Evangellion movie is awesome.. /snicker.

Either way, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
RatherDull said:
I mean, come on

You dig giant robots, I dig giant robots, we dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots. Why aren't you in a theater right now?
Nice.

I'm going to go book to see this right now then Bob, just a shame IMAX is so far away.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
This movie gets major points with me because it made me laugh. Normally cheesy dialog just has me groaning but it made me laugh. It made the entire theater laugh. And I guess action movies are not supposed to do that? But it worked for me. It is the first time since the Avengers that I had fun in a movie, and I really miss that.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
I dunno. I feel like they should have had a different lead actor, and a script that gave a bit more time to the actual consequences of the neural link rather than focussing so much on the side characters getting into scrapes. Idris Elba was great, and the giant monster fights were quality action, but story-wise... it's just so damned boring and predictable. It clings so hard to standard action movie formula that I'm half-surprised they bothered to shoot the scenes in question. An audience that's already seen one or two action movies before would be quite capable of filling in the blanks between the monster bashes without a problem. Now, when the giant monsters and the giant robots are beating one another up, that fades into the background, but they don't really do enough with the characters despite the fantastic piloting systems (the lead character gets over his issues more or less straight away with no hurdles, and hell getting Mako as his co-pilot took more effort than her getting over her mental problems).

So yeah, hearty "meh" from me. The action was above par, everything else just got on my nerves because, well, the potential was there for it to be better, to be an actually interesting movie, but they completely failed to capitalise on it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RatherDull said:
I mean, come on

You dig giant robots, I dig giant robots, we dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots. Why aren't you in a theater right now?
Now if this inspires a Megas film, that would be amazing.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
In response to the intro:

"Nah man, I got bills to pay!"

And, was that "oh my" a good, bad, or George Takei "oh my?"