Escape to the Movies: ParaNorman

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Truth be told I drove passed the drive in and saw "Paranorma" on the sign for the films playing, I thought they just ran out of room and were playing Paranormal Activity 50.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
I just got back from seeing this movie, and it was fantastic! Bob definitely hit the nail on the head with this one.

Oh, of course, nobody cares about that, since all everyone in this thread seems to care about is what he thought of Expendables 2... for some reason.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Baldr said:
I just got back from Expendables 2, I hated the first one, but was convinced by a friend to go because everyone else was.

I was surprised. It was a much better movie and very funny, it will be hard to top in the third movie.
I was going to see it today, but shit happened, and im pissed. Just tell me this though, did everyone get a good bit of screentime to showcase their awesome?
Yeah, everyone gets plenty of screentime, including the older stars (Arnie, Willis etc), unlike the first film which barely featured any of them in favour of the younger cast.

The film also has less plot than the first. Seriously, I don't know how they managed that. But it also has more explosions. Take from that what you will.

Also, prepare yourself for some cringe inducing one liners. And not just from Arnie. The entire cast seems to spend half the time spouting cheesy one liners. Again, take from that what you will.

I liked it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
WaysideMaze said:
WanderingFool said:
Baldr said:
I just got back from Expendables 2, I hated the first one, but was convinced by a friend to go because everyone else was.

I was surprised. It was a much better movie and very funny, it will be hard to top in the third movie.
I was going to see it today, but shit happened, and im pissed. Just tell me this though, did everyone get a good bit of screentime to showcase their awesome?
Yeah, everyone gets plenty of screentime, including the older stars (Arnie, Willis etc), unlike the first film which barely featured any of them in favour of the younger cast.

The film also has less plot than the first. Seriously, I don't know how they managed that. But it also has more explosions. Take from that what you will.

Also, prepare yourself for some cringe inducing one liners. And not just from Arnie. The entire cast seems to spend half the time spouting cheesy one liners. Again, take from that what you will.

I liked it.
Half the time is spent on chessy one-liners and they sacrificed plot for my explosions...

Im fucking sold.

Gaboris

Dec 22, 2011
Ummm... am I the only one who didn' get what he meant with that slamming the door on the zombie's face? Was that some big reference or was it just incidental that Bob put that "fanboy(?)" face there right after that scene? o_O"

Anyways now I'm REAL interested in this movie so I hope it'll come to Hungary shortly as well. :D

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
I just saw this, and I think MovieBob is right - it's one of the best movies I've seen all year. Better than The Avengers or DKR? Eh, I dunno. It's a different genre. But it's absolutely fantastic, and if the world was just it would be a strong contender for Best Animated Picture. Though we all know the rather lukewarm Brave will probably take that award...

But yeah. Go see this.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
NoJustNo said:
I

I then still believed you when you came all over Splice last year; I went into that movie expecting the most intelligent, clever sci-fi movie, and walked out with "look at this thing so cute oh now it's bigger oh now it's an adult oh now you're having sex with it oh now it has wings but it hardly flies oh now it's a dude oh now it's raping me oh now it killed him oh now I killed it and I'm pregnant with its freak child", and learned the oh-so insightful, original message, "don't do crazy sciency stuff without being super careful".
He seriously recommended Splice? * watches video* dear god this is why I'm wary of anything Bob loves.

OT: Ironically this makes me more likely to go see Expendables 2 instead, among other things its partly because a good portion of that list of things he liked (the "they could almost call it bob the movie" bit) made me cringe, and partly because anybody calling something perfect sets off alarms in my mind. Also I'm taking bets now, if/when Bob reviews expendables 2 how does the negative reaction to his insane venomous rant in the Expendables 1 figure in? does he:
a. Ignore the backlash entirely and carry on as planed.
b. Acknowledge the backlash and dial back on the venom a bit.
c. Acknowledge the backlash and make a point of of insulting or demeaning anyone who complained about the last review.
d. other?

we shall see, although it is entirely possible he will just go "yea I hate it what did you expect" at the beginning of a different video instead of a full reveiw.

NoJustNo

Aug 4, 2012
major_chaos said:
I hope we live to see the day scientists dig into people's opinion-generators to understand why different people think differently about pieces of art.

For example, I really don't love any of the most famous Zemeckis movies. Forrest Gump, and Back to the Future never struck a single cord with me, however, I understand that they are excellent films.

I acknowledge that Jingle All the Way is a silly, flawed movie, yet it is my favorite holiday film to watch every year. On the other side of the coin, I acknowledge that A Christmas Story is basically a flawless movie, yet it is around #4 or 5 on my list.

For whatever weird reason, I have a different perception for things that are 'good' and things that 'I like'. I sometimes wonder if Bob does not.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I've actually been hesitant to see this because of stuff like Bob's opening remarks. From the very first trailers I saw (which were out like, six monthes ago, which is a little weird) I got the impression that this movie was really, really, really geared towards people like Bob. Not that I don't like Bob or anything, but it struck me as one of those movies that celebrates being the weird kid and how the suburbs suck, which is.... not necessarily an automatically bad thing to do, but it seemed so blatant about it that it put me off.
But then again Bob seems to think it has some merit beyond the obvious nerd pandering, so maybe I'll watch this after all.

Rob_Zander

Feb 24, 2010
I had no intention at all to see this movie, I thought, "oh god, now the zombies are stop-motion too! Beating the dead horse from a new angle." But when I saw this review, I was like, "huh." So I went to see it and I loved it! I just wanted to say thanks Bob.

Jun 5, 2010
This was Hands-down the best movie released this summer. If you see Expendables 2 over this you are worse than Hitler. I am not even exaggerating.

Tommy Toejam

Mar 10, 2012
gardian06 said:
Tommy Toejam said:
I'll tel lyou something funny Bob; they DID screen Expendables 2 to critics... makes you think does'nt it.

If you dont believe me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmnyMPxsAUc&feature=g-all-u
hey, hey, come close...

HE NEVER SAID HE WENT TO A CRITIC SCREENING HE JUST SAID HE SAW IT. he could have gone to a early viewing not necessarily a formal critic screening, and cut the video inside an hour.

and also if he did go to a critic screening. maybe the production company only invited people that gave the first one a beaming review in which case "Bob get no ticket", and movie only get positive reviews.
Yes, yes, because Bob is flawless right? he even likes Phantom menace....oooooh

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Tommy Toejam said:
gardian06 said:
Tommy Toejam said:
I'll tel lyou something funny Bob; they DID screen Expendables 2 to critics... makes you think does'nt it.

If you dont believe me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmnyMPxsAUc&feature=g-all-u
hey, hey, come close...

HE NEVER SAID HE WENT TO A CRITIC SCREENING HE JUST SAID HE SAW IT. he could have gone to a early viewing not necessarily a formal critic screening, and cut the video inside an hour.

and also if he did go to a critic screening. maybe the production company only invited people that gave the first one a beaming review in which case "Bob get no ticket", and movie only get positive reviews.
Yes, yes, because Bob is flawless right? he even likes Phantom menace....oooooh
I don't know if your trying to troll, or just didn't understand context. 1 I never said Bob perfect I just gave a logical possibility that he didn't get to go to a critic screening for the Expendable 2 (which I think is a really great joke "that it was made"), and 2 you probably only listened to the first few minutes of Bob's "Phantom Menace 13 years later", and miss the part where he said that he didn't love it at the time because nothing would have been good enough to match expectations, and now he just sees it as a really mediocre action movie AKA on par with The Expendables, and Total Recall (remake).

and yes Bob has faults like he should go back and watch his The Amazing Spider-Man review, and then watch his aforementioned Star Wars video, and replace every mention with "original trilogy" with "spider-Man comics", and then think about his analysis. then on his Total Recall review he should probably think on why "it is bad form to compare a remake of something to the original version". yes critics get to be critical of the things they criticize, but people get to criticize the critics.

OT: I went and saw this on Monday, and have to admit that I was shocked how this children's movie handled the mature topics in a frank, and straightforward manor, and I was shore that some of the things in this movie will get outrage because it offends some parents (particularly in the denouement section) even though the kids will just be going "whats the bid deal"

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I thought this movie had more in common with Coraline then just having the stop-motion animation figures being made by the same company... Hell, I thought it was directed by the same person, and was even made by the same guys as The Nightmare Before Christmas, not that it matters, but still.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I preferred the book Coraline to the movie, even though I thought it was okay.

That said I'll probably wait to see "Paranorman" on video, it doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look paticuarly exceptional either. Even with Bob's review it seems like it would be very hit or miss for me.

I did see "The Expendables 2" in theaters though, and I thought it was awesome, though admittedly I like straight action movies more than Bob does.

Let me put it this way, despite loving "The Expendables" I suppose if I look at it objectively they weren't that good. However much like "Freddy Vs. Jason" these movies are something I had in my mind since I was a little kid. We got to watch Arnie, Sly, Bruce, and Chuck all kick butt in the same movie (even as old men), it brought the cheez, and it was delicious. It's sort of like how "Freddy Vs. Jason" by every rational definition sucks, it has so many problems even within itself (never mind the mythologies involved) that it isn't funny, but at the end you get to watch a huge knock down, drag out fight between Jason and Freddy... and really, at the end of the day that's what I wanted to see since I was like 12, since it entertained me, it doesn't have to stand up to a magnifying glass of being objectively good.

Of course understand I'm in my late 30s and still occasionally watch old giant monster movies, and tons of derivitive zombie flicks, so you know, a fun movie doesn't nessicarly have to be a good one.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
blanksmyname said:
God damn it. I am so pumped to see Bob: the Movie, but it doesn't hit Australia for another month.
You think that's bad, I just looked up the release date for it here (NZ) and apparently it's not coming out until January. I mean WTF is that about?

HuliMan

Feb 18, 2009
I just watched this movie. and it was great:) if it wasn't for you i would have never seen it!