Escape to the Movies: Pompeii

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
I maintain that Wonder Woman as a lesbian is still the best way to approach the character in a marketable manner.

Diana is played by an atypically buff woman, but not body builder territory. Love interest is a waif model.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Oh please god no not a reboot of stargate, pretty please! With the exception of B5 SG-1 and Atlantis are probably my fave sci-fi shows ever. (Ok those and Firefly) I just don't trust anyone in holywood not working on marvel movies not to screw it up.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
You know a film is going to be bland when he video times is 4 minutes, after 1:30 about another film followed by a period of trailer footage for the review itself... plus credits...

To be honest I'm not interested in anything coming out for a while by this stage outside of Cap. Roll on Summer already!

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
walrusaurus said:
Silverspetz said:
Also, Roland Emmerich is rebooting the Stargate franchise with a new trilogy of movies? My inner nerd can't decide if that is the best idea ever or the worst idea ever.
Problem is Rolland Emmerich's original movie was:
A. Really, really bad; even by scifi B-movie standards
B. Nothing even remotely similar to the tone/style of the 17 seasons of television the franchise put out.

Emmerich is on record as not liking the direction that the show took 'his' original concept. So, even if the movie does end up being good, it will almost certainly end up being a disappointment to hardcore fans.
We also have to remember this is Emmerich we're talking about here. 90% of what he sais he is trying to make never gets approved and most of what he does is from companies coming to him for. And given the history he and MGM have, I'd be surprised if his "trilogy" didn't end up in a paper shredder.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I remember back when I was a kid, I watched Lizzie McGuire, about an episode where Lizzie and her friends sneak into an R rated movie called "Vesuvius", which was a parody of Titanic meets Dante's Peak.

Now producers 'actually' made a movie like that. I'm not sure if that's funny or incredibly sad...
How much of a bottom are you scraping when you're rebooting movies that didn't even exist?
they're not, they've gone through the bottom of the barrel 6 feet under

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
The Katy Perry thing was a joke but holy shit they really are rebooting Stargate... the same guy is rebooting his own thing, thats weird. Well as long as it doesn't suck thats OK I guess since the lack of new space sci fi almost made me look for space anime.

The new Green Goblin looks like a god dam wood elf. I did like the new spiderman but they are sure as hell ruining all the villains.

Yeh this is gonna be one of those where people care way more about the end slates than the actual review.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Oh well. At least it won't lead to endless arguments about the physics of fitting two people on a piece of wood.
But Mythbusters already resolved that argument! :p

In regards to Pompeii, I feel bad for Emily Browning, as she's actually a good actress that consistantly gets some of the worst movies offered to her. =(

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Goliath100 said:
What is the difference between Spartacus (way better than Ben-Hur) the movie and Spartacus the TV-show?
The TV show is a kind of guilty pleasure show where they have over the top violence, lots of sex, and lots of nudity. It reminds of 300 except that the acting is somehow better (some of it's worse but I think that may be due to some cheesy dialogue) and the boring stuff between the fighting isn't actually boring. Also, the villains are actually pretty great and aren't just blatantly evil. Also, Manu Bennett is pretty much the ultimate badass in this show.

I enjoyed the show but the insane blood effects do take some getting used to.

OT: I could tell from the very first trailer (actually, probably from the title) that this was going to be a bad movie... Also, swords and sandals movies rarely benefit from a PG-13 rating...

May 29, 2011
Malisteen said:
That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude.

The hulk is offended by your insinuation.

(yes I know he's white but he was green for at least one movie if you count it all together)

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Goliath100 said:
What is the difference between Spartacus (way better than Ben-Hur) the movie and Spartacus the TV-show?
The TV show is a kind of guilty pleasure show where they have over the top violence, lots of sex, and lots of nudity. It reminds of 300 except that the acting is somehow better (some of it's worse but I think that may be due to some cheesy dialogue) and the boring stuff between the fighting isn't actually boring. Also, the villains are actually pretty great and aren't just blatantly evil. Also, Manu Bennett is pretty much the ultimate badass in this show.

I enjoyed the show but the insane blood effects do take some getting used to.

OT: I could tell from the very first trailer (actually, probably from the title) that this was going to be a bad movie... Also, swords and sandals movies rarely benefit from a PG-13 rating...
Spartacus the tv show is actually pretty historically accurate too, which makes me like the show a lot more.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
God I hope Guardians of the Galaxy is good. It looks like the kind of stuff that's right up my alley.

As for the movie(Bob), would you say I'd just get more enjoyment on an hourly basis by just rewatching the Guardians trailer over and over instead?

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
Spoiler Alert for Guardians of the Galaksie:
No main Character dies and all major Plot Events are postponed to the sequels as this movie just sets up the franchise.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I'm slightly worried that the humour in "Guardians of the Galaxy" is going to be really tedious.

It looks really fun but if most of the jokes are going to be like the "middle finger machine" thing then it could get really irritating.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I love it when an Escape to the Movies video isn't even five minutes long, and more than a minute of it is footage from another movie entirely. No, seriously, I'm not being snarky about that. It's a very handy, numerical demonstration of how little there is to say about the movie under review.

FavouredEnemy said:
I thought it was a shame that in the Guardians of the Galaxy bit, that MovieBob basically dismissed how kick-ass Gamora looked by instead just describing her as 'hot.'

Oh well.
I get where you're coming from and to a certain extent I agree, but at the same time, it's hard for me to take someone seriously as a physical/martial threat when she looks like she weighs less than my left thigh. I'm sure Ms. Saldana is a fine actor who nailed the choreography of her fight scenes and deserves credit for it, but still, Hollywood casting practices being what they are, she wouldn't have the job if she wasn't a sexy waif who could probably fit inside my book bag if she tucked her knees in properly.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
walsfeo said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Malisteen said:
That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude.
Luke Cage is getting a TV series, so I'm cautiously optimistic things will pick in that area.
Because Marvel has a great track record at TV.

But really, I hope you are right. It's possible that with a tighter scope and a real Marvel character to hang the story on, the Luke Cage show won't suck. Please let it not suck.
By Marvel's track record are you referring to all ONE shows they've done so far? The one that's still Tuesdays' second highest-rated show next to NCIS? If that first sentence was meant as snark, then it's about as full of shit as you could get without it seeping into the sentences around it.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Are you guys sure you mistake Stargate for this:

http://katyperry.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate

aka her Music Producers?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Meant to be read as gentle natured ribbing not harsh criticism: Its funny that Bob thinks the movie should get to the point because thats what I of his reviews whenever he shows a trailer or something before the review itself.

edit - on the plus side the next Fantastic Four movie sucking might hasten its hopefully inevitable return to Marvel.

p.s I'm aware that putting a prelude to my comment about Bob getting to the point runs the risk of being hypocritical but I wanted to provide context to my post that would show I was just joking around without resorting to saying "Lol".

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Quiotu said:
By Marvel's track record are you referring to all one shows they've done so far?
I am aware of at least three TV programs Marvel has done: Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, the Incredible Hulk, and Spider-Man. That is, of course, referring only to live-action series and is ignoring all the animated series they've done, which are too numerous for me to even bother counting.

Anyone who cares could probably Google it and come up with about fifty titles.

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
Oh, come on, Movie Bob!

The only -- THE ONLY -- thing you could say about BOTH of the women in "Guardians of the Galaxy" is that they're "hot"?

REALLY? Seriously? That's the ONLY ADJECTIVE you could think of? Nothing else?

That's really disappointing and I know you're capable of better.