Escape to the Movies: Prometheus

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Prometheus

Surprise Prometheus is an Alien prequel! Oh, you probably already knew that. Spoiler warning for this episode.

Watch Video

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes I remember you mentioning Wreak-it Ralph first and yes I did watch that trailer more than once already.
While I still haven't seen the film yet (and I pretty much spoil myself already) I am intriged what if Ridley had carry making the film as it first intented. Would it still would of been good (well it probably is given to his track record for most of the time).

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I saw that Wreck-It-Ralph thing, Bob...and like I asked on another forum, since WHEN is Zangief a bad guy?!? Actually...since it's Pixar, which still has some connections to Disney, and it's about video games, I will be VERY disappointed if we don't see a Tron or Kingdom Hearts based cameo.

Too bad the "prequel" aspect of Prometheus prevented some immersion. Scott probably should have kept a tighter lid on things.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Team Hollywood said:
Prometheus

Surprise Prometheus is an Alien prequel! Oh, you probably already knew that. Spoiler warning for this episode.
Michael Fassbender explicitly said it wasn't just today in an interview and said he had to made it very clear. You know, the guy in the movie. The hot one who was also Magneto. Unless he lied to me, in which case I will cry myself to sleep.

I think I might see it tomorrow for kicks and giggles. I enjoyed Alien, and I really enjoy Michael Fassbender, so it's a win-win for me.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Nice review but I found the editing on this video a bit sloppy with gaps in the audio, hopefully this is a one time thing

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Most surprising thing was that you said it was good. Most prequels are shit.

Not going to see it though, as I don't care about Aliens but still neat. Wreck-It-Ralph looks interesting as hell though.

Also, this video was a ***** for me to load, ugh.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
You are how I first heard about Wreck it Ralph, and after seeing that trailer for the first time a few days ago...Yeah. I wanna see it...a LOT.

Still not the biggest fan of the cast, but after seeing who they're actually playing, I'm more excited about it.

Jack McBrayer as Felix seems like it's gonna be fun, especially if I'm right in my theory (and by theory I mean totally random guess with nothing to really support it) that he's gonna turn out to be our big baddie

parintachin

Nov 28, 2009
I saw it this weekend (it was out last friday in europe), and here's one I really have to disagree with you on Bob.

This is a failure, and a bad one at that.

The visuals are great - it's well shot, and most of the CG is pretty neat. The music is nice if not exactly smooth. The acting is surprisingly good, considering what these people had to work with; especially Theron and Fassbeder stand out.

But the script is insultingly stupid. The whole basic plot makes absolutely no sense, even in its own framework, and every single character not played by Charlize Theron is borderline retarded and / or so insultingly improfessional as to seem so. Fassbender's robot can't help it; he was apparently made that way; the rest must have been dropped on the head a few times at birth ...

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I'm kind of torn between opinions about Prometheus. I enjoyed it as a fiction/horror movie (with a few plot holes) but as an Alien Precursor it was pretty average.

My main problem with the film is that the crew down talk to each other, the part where Shaw "gives birth" via cesarean is mentioned once in a fleeting comment (she was also supposed to be put in Quarantine) and that one line that one throwaway line that was so overly dramatic and had no impact on the story or characters.
...FATHER

I am hoping the movie had to go through massive cuts for the theatrical release, hopefully we will get a directors cut that will have and explain more.

(I also found Noomi Rapace annoying is fuck in this movie and the religion bit could have played with more.)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The editing for this video seemed a little off. I don't know if you were doing an incredibly subtle jab at the film for some of its more disjointed parts, or if you just had a bad week in putting the review together.

Idon'tcareanymore

Dec 29, 2011
It's too bad that this movie doesn't seem better. Alien is one of the greatest movies ever and it deserved a proper sequel. However, none of the concerns Bob made really are going to stop me from seeing the movie. I'll just take it with a grain of salt, I guess.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
eh still gonna see it because I really like aliens and sci-fy stuff plus alien god never gets old

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
The editing for this video seemed a little off. I don't know if you were doing an incredibly subtle jab at the film for some of its more disjointed parts, or if you just had a bad week in putting the review together.
yeah i noticed that too. the bizarrely long pauses between each sentence made me feel like i was watching a jrpg cutscene. is the dialogue in the actual film as awkward or something?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Personally, I thought it was shit. Two hours or gaping plotholes, undeveloped characters, Deus Ex Machina story progression & a story/screenplay that frankly can be summed up as a greyer Mission to Mars with some Alien references thrown in whenever they wanted to remind me why I paid £11 to sit through it all. Oh, & there was an extended Spiderman trailer at the beginning that was so ball achingly bad I felt genuinely uncomfortable in the crotch area.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
So the moral of the story is: Movies are often more enjoyable if you ignore the spoilers and hype? And because movie critics don't have that luxury they are often harsher on movies than general audience members?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think we're living in the Too-Much-Information Age. In any case, this movie looks like it might be worth watching.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I should go and watch the Alien movies sometime, even though I'm not a big sci-fi horror fan... Also, yes, Wreck-It Ralph DOES look awesome!

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Ashcrexl said:
Soviet Heavy said:
yeah i noticed that too. the bizarrely long pauses between each sentence made me feel like i was watching a jrpg cutscene. is the dialogue in the actual film as awkward or something?
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, it kept me from fully listening to this review, each time I noticed the pauses (every time) it threw me off track of what he was saying