Escape to the Movies: Red State

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks for the quick US politics info at the end, we do it the other way around here, blue is conservative, red liberal and yellow is stupid. ;D

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This sounds bad enough that I really really might want to watch it. You description even of the initial premise sounded good enough :D

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I watched the movie on youtube for $9, I thought I got my money's worth.
Didn't have any expectations going in and I had a fun time, and I actually liked Goodman's exchange at the end of the movie.
But it has been a trend for me that every movie that Movie Bob hates I love and vice versa. Oh well, though I'm surprised he's calling it the worst movie of the summer/year. Some of Smith's biggest haters have been praising it, one in particular who he had a huge twitter war (Carlyle from Spill) gave it a raving review.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Nice map of the 2008 presidential election at the end, Bob. Of course America is exactly the same political landscape today as it was 3 years ago.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Was this actually shown to critics? Because i know Kevin Smith really doesnt like doing that. And i mean REALLY [http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/2010/03/kevin_smiths_twitter_campaign.php]:

Mainly because all of his movies suck now and he hates them getting bad review scores.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Just watched the movie and two seconds later the review is up.
I really enjoyed it in a weird way. Yeah, the plot was all over the place, the directing wasn´t always good and there was no chracterization to speak of but still, I got a couple of good laughs out of it. It was loads better than the crapfest that Cop Out was.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Wha-? how can... but kevin smi-... Red state? I didn't even know this was getting made and now i'm even more confused than before watching this reveiw. If the main character(s?) is(are) a guy(s), why is a chick holding the machine gun on the front. They kidap and execute gays, where do they get the gays? how do they know they really are gay? Is that the point? that they're morally ambiguous? I think these are all things bob was getting at when he said this is a bad movie.

And then bob showed us the utter horror of Thomas the trainsformer.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
I really do wonder what's going on with Smith. Clerks 2 was great, but was surrounded by juvenile or piss poor movies by him for the past 8 years.
uberhippy said:
(ps, get friends & have a 'the Room / Danny Wiseau appreciation night' and laugh thy selves to tears!!)
It's Tommy Wiseau. Denny was the completely pointless creeper that liked to watch Johnny get it on.

Either way, yes. Everyone should at least attempt to watch The Room. Not everyone will appreciate it, but goddam if it isn't a gem of complete shit in how absurdly bad it is.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Kevin Smith has admitted he's just about done making movies and would rather have a radio gig/podcasts. He likes telling stories and the stories he wants. So, Bob doesn't need to worry about it. Smith will be done making movies soon enough if that's what Bob wants him to do.

(All the info is from Unmasked with Ron Bennington: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLUJUeTlcg)

coogs42

Oct 10, 2010
Bob, the only time I've ever seen the Thomas Transformer is in a review of it by Ashens, from what I gather, the toy is only sold in the UK store chain, Poundland. Apparently it fall's apart the second you put it together.

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
the action part of the movie sucks more than it should do.
most of it is someone pointing a gun out the window and shooting but we never see what they are shooting at. except a brief cut once or twice showing a cop geting shot and the scene is like 30mins long.

also the movie lost its way before this action scene, i think it did it when they find a load of guns in that room because it looses its hostel style survival horror plot

god im so disapointed.
the shit hit the fan on this one. literally!!! the movie is a mess.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
The Gentleman said:
therockdemon said:
i really hope that bob reviews a good movie next time, it's not like there isn't any out there
Like...?

On topic (kind of): It looks like someone found the Venture Brothers clips...
"Shore Leave would have this sh*t sorted out in ten minutes tops"

Damn straight he would.

A want a Shore Leave ultra violence revenge movie, co-staring the Alchemist.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Oh, I thought the "Red" in the title meaned blood or violence...
Nice review Bob!

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
MBE said:
Holy cow! Moviebob surprised the heck out of me. I was 100% sure that Moviebob was going to LOOOOOVE Saint Kevin Smith's "Red State". It has everything a Leftist propaganda film needs.... The villains are non-Democrat Christian heterosexual psychotic murderers who have to be "pacified" by Dear Leader's stormtroopers.

Oh shut up. Nobody wants to hear your ridiculous ad hominems.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Red Rum said:
Finally, a movie about the most horrifying monster of all... Christianity!
At least christians don't threaten to kill you for writing books or actually kills you for making a movie about their religion...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I'm going to go out on a limb here and blame weed. Because someone has to.

Seriously, look at all those free living bohemian types, where there is a big crossover with the anti-establishment "weed isn't a dangerous drug". And then 10-20 years later there they are, crazy as fuck. Smith is joining the ranks of Lucas, the Wachowski Brothers and many other artists who have completely lost it.

I get it, weed has been oversold in such works as "Reefer Madness" but that's become a straw-man, I don't think weed is good for the long term mental health of artists. And it's subtle, the effect.

I am very much against medicating for ANYTHING, I've seen too many people who start trying to use chemicals to guide their lives and ended up taking them where they didn't want to go.