Escape to the Movies: Riddick

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
I really loved the idea of Riddick (Star Wars meets D&D, hell yes) but the execution has never lived up to what it could be. I'll still check this one out though.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
I saw it yesterday at an early screening. I liked the movie, but then again I like the Riddick character having played and owning Escaping from Butcher Bay.

Many of the complaints about the Chronicles of Riddick was that it was nothing like Pitch Black. So I wasn't surprised when this movie went back to theme and formula.

Have to admit was a little sad to they didn't really continue on the whole Necromonger storyline in this movie.

I'll say that if you liked Pitch Black then you'll like this movie as well more so if you're familiar with Pitch Black.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey, it's Starbuck.

Oh, and sexism... or something. Well, I'm sure that's going to make this comment thread an absolute joy.

*bail*

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's always fun to see people desperately try and turn something limp into "a thing".

Didn't Vin Diesel once say Pitch Black would be The Hobbit to Chronicles of Riddick?

Yeah, nice try, Vin.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Soooo I'll just watch pitch black again till this one comes to home video? Aight.

The games apparently do a better job of expanding the Riddick-verse anyway, and are pretty good, so at least I have those.

Jan 12, 2012
Zhukov said:
Oh hey, it's Starbuck.

Oh, and sexism... or something. Well, I'm sure that's going to make this comment thread an absolute joy.

*bail*
Hopefully people won't overreact and start calling for blood. Then again, this is the internet...

OT: How long is Bob going to keep that stinger about his book? Shouting "BUY MY BOOK" was funny at first when it was coming after his many and varied attempts to sell it post-episode, but now it's just kind of irritating. It's fine if he wants to sell it, I just wish he would try a less grating method.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I never cared for the movies. But the games were amazing. As long as they make another one I'll be a happy camper.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Disappointing. I was hoping it would follow up the last one's plot. "If Image Comics had done Star Wars" was actually something I enjoyed watching.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I liked Pitch Black (although Chronicles of Riddick I enjoyed more) and was about to put this on my to-see list except....

Do they really do that with Sackhoff's character? Just the theme alone of "fucked straight" is enough for me to either not see it or set it aside. Damn. Why is this even a theme?

Alright, glad I know.

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
"Fucked Straight" Still better then how they handled Batwoman's Marriage.
At first, my brain imagined it as a version of being "Scared Straight". "Yep, just had sexual relations with someone of the opposite gender. Now I feel compelled to give up drugs and alcohol and contribute to my community!" Actual version makes just as much sense. =/ As for Batwoman's marriage... stranger things have happened in superhero comics, so I don't see what the fuss against it is.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Having been (according to Bob) the only other person in the world who gave a crap about the plot of Chronicles of Riddick, this sounds... disappointing. Pitch Black was fun, but not nearly as interesting.

Also, Bob, regarding the new book ad at the end... a lampshade is still a lampshade. :p

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Loved chronicles of riddick, will probably love this one :)
as a matter of fact, I just love this particular brand of b-movies. riddick, scorpion king, xXx etc.
make more of those! they are funny, entertaining, and unlike, say for instance, movie critics: not particularly pretentious.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
The most bizarre thing I remember is being in a table top games store and finding a very expensive, very nicely done, annotated D&D book, with introduction by Vin Diesel ( http://www.amazon.com/30-Years-Adventure-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786934980 ).

On a different topic, you think Dinobots will be better than Robocop with batman's armor?

EDIT: fixed link

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
"Fucked Straight" Still better then how they handled Batwoman's Marriage.
If I'm not mistaken, they handled her marriage by just not doing it. Which is a shame, but for this thing? I think they should have done the same. ;p

Also; Yes, the new Robocop looks very very bad. Why are they trying so hard to make him look like Batman?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
You know, you're missing an important fact about the Critic reference. In the show, they pulled those cardboard stand-ups and destroyed them because they were annoying people to death. But three videos now, full of "Buy My Book". You trying to see if you can become as universally reviled as Jay Sherman?

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
I like Riddick and the genre. Its different enough to appeal to me. I don't know why everyone expects every movie to be stellar. Sometimes a movie is just there to entertain you for two hours and it looks like this film accomplished that. I'm excited to see this one.