Escape to the Movies: Riddick

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
I hoped it would be something completely different than the first two.
Really liked the idea that this franchise would just jump through genres.
The first was sci-fi horror, the second was sci-fi action, so i hoped the third would be a crime or spy thriller.
With him being a governmental leader at the seconds end, would make even sense.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Vin, please, just stick to making games, you're really really good at it, so ,we don't need any more Riddick movies, just keep him a video game character, that's where he's best.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
How come there hasn't been a movie of Riddick's Escape from Butcher Bay? Why did they just redo Pitch Black instead of that.

Jun 16, 2010
They should really make a movie out of Butcher Bay. I mean, Riddick's defining characteristic is that he's a brutally efficient escape artist, yet in all his films he rarely has anything interesting or challenging to escape from.

It's like making a film about Houdini, except it's a slasher film and Houdini is just some hard ass.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Just from the trailers, this felt like a retread of Pitch Black. Guess I'm not missing much this weekend.

Nice to know that one of, if not the only, good thing about Riddick was Dave Batista's role. Makes me feel positive on him being cast in Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe if Vin Diesel gets the role of Groot, he'll actually turn in a good performance. He did a great job when he portrayed the title character in The Iron Giant, so perhaps, much like Chris Pine, he's better as a voice actor. OK, its been said that Groot might be played via motion capture suit, but still...

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That ad at the end was awesome, but I have to admit I don't know what it is a reference to. I just thought it was mocking the people who were annoyed with your actual ad for your book.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
Sylocat said:
I was surprised you didn't make a Riddikulus joke.
'Riddikule' made it into the obligatory credits pun.

Speaking of the credits, was that supposed to be Robocop or Kryptonian power armor from Man Of Steel 2?

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Movie is about what I expected but I disagree with the preamble. Pitch Black was actually really well received by those of its rather niche demographic at the time. There was a lot of love for that character and that role is actually what put Diesel into the limelight. F&F was far more commercially successful but that just elevated him to "future star".

So I don't think its right to say it would have been dismissed if not for his surging fame. It would be exactly what it is anyway, a cult flick. The problem with the sequel was just that it was a dumb movie.

Deimir said:
Speaking of the credits, was that supposed to be Robocop or Kryptonian power armor from Man Of Steel 2?
Robocop

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Really Bob your gonna give Bay another pass at a transformers movie? You know it'll only end in disappointment.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Skeleon said:
That ad at the end was awesome, but I have to admit I don't know what it is a reference to. I just thought it was mocking the people who were annoyed with your actual ad for your book.
Here's the reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEznCRlWGwE&t=20m23s

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Some things that they left out that makes this movie better in my eyes is that Riddick was made because of its fan base and people asking Vin Diesel to do another one. Not Movie Bobs assumption that all he does is want to stroke his own ego. Also they ran on a 38 million dollar budget this time which is half of that what it was with Chronicles of Riddick so yes. All in all they did a good job. Also I met Vin Diesel and got to talk to him personally long enough to support him, he is a nerd at heart, a giant musclebound nerd but still good people.

Also if your a straight male who hasn't thought about turning a lesbian straight then obviously you should just leave your man card at the door. All it is, is a harmless fantasy and people should just get over taking sexuality so damn serious.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Chronicles of Riddick is a definite case for Movie Defense Force!
One of the few SciFI movies I can watch beyond a third time these days.
e.g. District 9 was great, but I see no point in watching it beyond a second time.

And no mention of XXX? I am disappointed Bob, this is as much of 80s FUN Action Movie as it can get!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Pitch Black worked for the same reason Alien / Aliens worked. They were both scifi settings, but the plot didn't dwell on it or explain it. Chronicles or Riddick didn't work because they started trying to do all this scifi heavy world building. If they'd kept it small and built up to it more gradually it might have worked.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This lesbian character, does she also at any point in the film make a derogatory comment towards a man just because they're a man? If so why do writers still not write believable homosexuals?

Anyway, Pitch Black was good although supporting roles like Keith David as a non-villainous Muslim being a fresh change of pace were also vital to that picture.

While I don't dislike Vin Diesel, I'm guessing the Iron Giant is still his best performance.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
I can't really agree with this particular review.

I'm biased, mind you. I loved Pitch Black, I enjoyed Dark Fury and Chronicles of Riddick the 'not theater' version I watched was a lot of fun too. On top of that I've become very happy with my purchase of Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena.

So, when they suggested we'd get two new Riddick movies - one in the vein of Pitch Black and the other in the vein of Chronicles? I said yes. In fact, I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention that - since the entire mission statement of this particular movie was to be another Pitch Black, while the second movie they're working on is wholly meant to be another Chronicles. Called it a flawed idea. Call it a rehash. I don't really care.

I actually do want more of this universe, and I kind of have grown attached to the stone faced flesh golem character too.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
kickyourass said:
Vin, please, just stick to making games, you're really really good at it, so ,we don't need any more Riddick movies, just keep him a video game character, that's where he's best.
You are forgetting Wheelman.

But yeah, Escape from Butcher Bay is still a fucking awesome game and the best Riddick story, and Vin Diesel, while not having his own studio, could work with more capable teams to do more games since the case of Wheelman was more a problem of execution then anything else.

OT: Kind of weird not mentioning the games since they are a big part of Riddick's character and a lot of fans like the franchise because of it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
DVS BSTrD said:
"Fucked Straight" Still better then how they handled Batwoman's Marriage.
If I'm not mistaken, they handled her marriage by just not doing it. Which is a shame, but for this thing? I think they should have done the same. ;p

Also; Yes, the new Robocop looks very very bad. Why are they trying so hard to make him look like Batman?
Because, right, people like Batman. Particularly the internet.

OT: Still not clear and what Bob wants me to buy :/ he really needs to make it clearer.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
The ad at the end was pretty hilarious, Bob. Initially it made me actually think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg but I get the reference now. As for Riddick, it delivered on exactly what I expected. It's good to be vindicated every now and then.