Escape to the Movies: Robocop

Jhonny Malkav

Mar 6, 2012
Better watch Tropa de Elite 1 and 2. They were directed by the same guy, but you'd never knew unless someone told you. I guess Hollywood producers decided to use him as a director only because his films were smash hits in Brazil, so the would capitalize on that. Everyone else will go just because it's Robocop. And it's pg-13, so they'd bring kids. Fuck you, fuck you and fuck you Hollywood.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah... I'm on board until you start calling the audience for this movie stupid and vapid. Maybe they don't care why they are in Iraq, or Iran. Maybe they just want an actions movie. Shame they're all such brain dead windowlickeers.

I get that you don't like it, but critics overstep their limited authority when they attack the audience. Dial it back a bit, Bob.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
He looks like an overdesigned, inefficient coffee machine. Both it and the rest of all this dreadful rubbish seems to have spontaneously generated on its own when large sums of money and old, popular IPs were stored together.

Ishal said:
Yeah... I'm on board until you start calling the audience for this movie stupid and vapid. Maybe they don't care why they are in Iraq, or Iran. Maybe they just want an actions movie. Shame they're all such brain dead windowlickeers.

I get that you don't like it, but critics overstep their limited authority when they attack the audience. Dial it back a bit, Bob.
Or, perhaps, he is targeting the fact that the movie treats the audience as stupid and vapid by assumption. That does not mean it's true, but it seems to be a concern for the film makers, that's for certain.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
MovieBob said:
Robocop

MovieBob dives headlong into the Robocop remake.

Watch Video
To summarize: watch Dredd instead.

Like you needed an excuse to see that again anyway. It rocks!

Ishal said:

I rather think Bob's critiqing the people who made this movie for treating their audience like idiots stupid and vapid. The original Robocop worked as a brainless action flick as well, but if you looked past the surface, it had a legitimately intelligent plot under the surface of blowing shit the f**k up.

This movie doesn't have that. It's all surface, with nothing underneath. The movie treats the audience like they cannot handle anything more complex than "he's evil, mmmkay?" And frankly, you, me and everyone else deserves better than that.

Samastic

Aug 14, 2013
well, at least we know that The Lego Movie is a better movie than a rem-make of Robocop. The guys who made it probably feel proud now!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Congradulations Robocop. You are less socially relevant, less thoughtful, and less interesting than a kid's movie about talking plastic.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I came to watch Bob tear this movie a new one, didn't leave disappointed!

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Its pretty bad. I hate the people saying its a remake as if its an excuse, like bob said if its going to use the name of a great movie it dam well better try to improve upon it or try somthing new while keeping the core intact. But no these days like many other remakes its the name and nothing else.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
*sigh* When I heard that "He-thinks-he's-in-control-but-he-isn't" line in the trailer, I thought that just maybe this movie had a slight chance of not sucking. I didn't really believe that that would be the case, but it was a small ray of hope.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
It really does seem like they completely missed the point of the original. And, am I the only one that's really put off by how the new Robocop moves? The original was this slow, plodding tank that walked through whatever bullets, people and/or walls were in between him and his objective. The new one just, moves like any generic superhero, but with guns.

Also the dirt-simple "Drones are bad" sort of message really does bug me. The way the US currently uses drones (distant assassins who kill legitimate targets and innocent civilians with complete impunity, and often without even knowing who they are actually shooting at or whether or not they are actually legitimate targets) is bad. It is both morally reprehensible and a complete diplomatic clusterfuck. But... robotics are the future, and there are a lot of potential merits to both military and civilian robotics, especially once we begin to design machines capable of semi-autonomous or fully autonomous action. It just seems like they latched onto a currently hot-button issue and were like "Let's take this to hilariously evil extremes."

Also, the idea that the US is the last country in the world without robots patrolling the streets? Laughable. Law enforcement agencies across the country are all but climbing over each other to get their hands on civilian-variant predator drones.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Saw it opening day, and the parts that stuck with me are the parts that we saw happen, and then Samuel Jackson turned around from being morally uncertain to absolutely positive. As well, the original mystery that started the whole movie turning. Did not see that coming at all. Also, left more confused as to
why Robocop was suddenly gunning for Michael Keaton
... just, like, tacked on right at the end... Also, the scene just after he wakes up in the body, where they take off all of his cyborg parts was both really impressive and riding the edge of 'Did NOT want to see that'...

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
So Moviebob is telling me that this particular rendition of OCP, He's not down with?
So... He's not down with OCP?
Yeah, you know me.

That above joke will be really funny to the few people who listen to Naughty By Nature at some point in time, making this Anachronistic joke absolutely not funny.

OT: I have no real good feeling about this movie, I saw the original Robocop About two years ago and thought it was mind-blowing. I cannot think of anything better for Robocop than to just re-watch Robocop again. It's an incredible movie in this day and age, and maybe nowhere near as relevant then it was in the 80s, the commentary is still sharp as ever, I think.

If that's on Netflix, I may go watch it. Nice Review, Moviebob.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Mangod said:
To summarize: watch Dredd instead.
That's pretty much what I took away from this, the whole time watching this video, I was just confirming what I figured, and for some reason at the end I felt like loading up Netflix and watching Dredd again. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Imma remake Robocop 10,000 times better than the remake. And, just for fun, I'm going to do it in 5 paragraphs or less.

Alex Murphy, all around great beat cop, is struggling to make a difference in failed Detroit, which is now closer to a post-apocalyptic wasteland than a city, with endemic violence, crime and strife. OCP, a large defense contractor, has been putting drones on the streets, which has caused a reduction in violence, but has also spiked huge controversy. The rest of the nation is in turmoil over the "Dronetroit" issue, and there's lots of #Dronetroit shit going on. Into this, enter slick futurist Robert "Bob" Morton. Morton, you see, is member of OCP and a graduate of the Singularity University and thinks that all of humanity will become cyborgs sooner or later and sees the situation as a chance to not just prove himself but prove his ideals about the future.

He approaches the police department with his plan: To take the best cop out there, then make them better with a complete transhuman augmentation program - neural uplink, enhanced reflexes, bulletproof skin, super-strength, adaptive camouflage. Then have that super-cop (a...Robocop, if you will), kick ass, clean up Detroit and boom, OCP opens up an entire transhuman augmentation branch. Murphy volunteers and undergoes the augmentation process, despite objections from his wife/husband (it doesn't matter which, though a husband might be nice to point out that it IS the future and people care less about that kind of stuff.) He is partnered with office Anne Lewis and sent on various high profile crime-busting.

But there is a problem: OCP's drone mastermind whatever, Dick Jones, has sabotaged Morton's plans by modifying the neural uplink for Robocop's brain computer. It's a subtle program - it heightens aggression and suppresses emotions. The movie shows the degradation of Murphy's decision making, culminating in him shooting an unarmed, innocent citizen. Morton is disgraced, Robocop is put on the wanted list, and it seems like Jones has gotten his angle in for total mastery of the marketplace with his drones. The climax of the film has Lewis and Morton (who have teamed up, as Morton has discovered the sabotage) tracking Robocop through some exciting local.

Morton dies in the effort, but they manage to fix the program. Murphy, freed of the emotional suppression, is distraught, but swears that he won't let Dick Jones win. He heads back to the OCP headquarters, blows Jones away, and then vanishes. The end of the movie implies that he has become a vigilante, trying to do his best despite still being hated by the world - a fusion of man and machine, shaped by the world's view of him and his view of himself.

(Rough draft, obviously, but that's the basic idea)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
medv4380 said:
As good as the Original is, it is an example of just how unethical Hollywood is at times. The original is a R rated film cut down from it's original X rating. R and X rated films are supposed to be off limits to kids. Were not even talking teenagers here. Were talking 6 year olds, and yet all the marketing for Robocop was directed at 6 year old audiences. Making a movie that has a rating that as a society we agreed wouldn't be intended for children and then marketing it to children is equivalent to Cigarette companies using cartoons to directly market to children something that as a society we agreed wasn't for children.
I don't know what I find more disturbing: that you consider the MPAA an ethical barometer, or that you consider the MPAA to represent the views of "we" and "society".

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So another remake is forgettable and is a disgrace when compared to the original.

I will admit, though, that I like the armour design of Robocop (if only for the helmet). Highlight of the episode for me was the inclusion of The Big Picture avatars, it's weird seeing them on a red background.

Christer Jonsson

Jul 30, 2013
I can't believe that Jose Padilha would turn out something like this. The Tropa de Elite movies, depicting the closest thing to real life Judge Dredd's had me thinking that he would have been the perfect guy for the job. It must have taken massive executive interference for this. A recommendation, just watch Tropa de Elite, it's fantastic.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Hmmm.. I do not agree. At all. Not even slightly.

I went to see this on Wednesday and came out entirely satisfied. It's not flawless, but it's nowhere near as bad as Bob says.

The story isn't a scene for scene retread of the original (which Bob hated with Oldboy)
It deals with issues of this generation (i.e. the ethics of using Drones to take human lives and the removal of civil liberties)
Corporate lobbying to get laws changed in the corporation's favour.
The nature of what makes us human and how much you can strip away before being classed as merely a machine.
Manipulation of the media
Manipulation of the individual
Freedom and the illusion of freedom
CCTV and abuse thereof.
The De-humanizing of anyone Not American.

If a cop makes a mistake and kills someone, the cop is held accountable. If a drone goes wrong, who is to blame? How easily it is to use a machine to commit atrocities with the get out of jail free card of "The robot went wrong, it's just a machine"

The effects were brilliant and I felt sorry for Murphy on his journey, he'd lost everything. His family, his body and even his free will.

So, no. This wasn't a bad film by any stretch of the imagination.
I wonder how much was Bob expecting to hate it and it not being the exact retread of the original with a fresh coat of paint to bring it into the current age he expected and defaulting to his initial opinion, 'cos to be honest, the original is pretty dated now.

And Tazer because guns for cops are mostly for defence. Robocop is almost invulnerable and so he doesn't have the kill or be killed justification. His job is to protect and apprehend, it's society's job to punish.