Escape to the Movies: Splice

Jacob Davies

Aug 25, 2010
This movie was good, but nothing special, and it was a little far fetched, they were keeping Dren like two rooms apart from the fucking rest of the lab. How the fuck did she know that Clyde was watching on the screen, why did she kill that cat?. Why did Elsa throw all her maternal instincts out the door when Dren attacked her, I thought motherly love was unconditional. When did Clyde stop hating Dren, and why oh why did it try to be Jeepers Creepers in the last 15 minutes. District 9 of 2010? Not quiet. It was a B-Movie through and through,a good B-Movie but a B movie none the less.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
Once again my viewing of a movie has been delayed due to grad school. I just got this via netflix and I must say it was quite awesome.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I greatly enjoyed the film for all the reasons Bob mentioned...until the last five minutes. The end felt like a huge cop-out. Splice wrestles some good questions -- can man overcome his unthinking rejection of that which is alien, can a child be better than her parents, could you ever really trust anyone who had a deadly weapon as part of her anatomy, etc. -- then throws away all that annoying cerebration and becomes Species in the final scene. Tragically dumb ending to a great smart film.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
derelix said:
Xocrates said:
Axolotl said:
Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.
Dated science will at no point be worse than the techno-babble gibberish movies usually use. At the least by trying to use actual science movies have a shot at relevance, even if temporary.
yeah plus the techno jargon stuff seems to get dated way faster when there's some alternative invented to the silly fictional device/science/creature being portrayed.

At least it will make it funnier a few decades from now.
"wow they actually thought human cloning was bad back then? And they actually thought the creature wouldn't be able to talk for some reason? Wow people were stupid back then."
The line between fiction and science is not at all clear. Ever notice the word "DNA" has magical powers? The way you make something sound scientific in a movie -- regardless of how foolish, unrealistic, or overused the premise may be -- is just to throw the word DNA in there somewhere. A great example is Fantastic 4: "The cloud has fundamentally altered our DNA." I'm sorry, remind me what little spirals of chemicals have to do with shooting fire out of your hands? I rather thought that was the kind of thing a wizard would do.

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
Good but tried idea - but in the end this movie was utter sh*te.

Sorry but you are all wrong.

By the last third the movie went bat **** crazy and I want to wash my eyes with bleach.

Moviebob you are so wrong on this one. So damn Wrong.

As for someone eles's comments (above) I don't care if this is the 'best' Hollywood can do for bio-sci fi type horror. It's pure fail.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Johnny Impact said:
Its all really in the genetics and the mutations that people take. Pretty much everything living today is mutated to help it. So while you may not be able to tweak DNA to make it happen, if it happened in nature, I'm pretty sure scientists would want to splice it to normal DNA and make babies who carried the gene, making a new advancement into the human species.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Just saw this movie. It was a good movie but man if it isn't seriously messed up in so many ways. Incest Bestiality Rape anybody?

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Just finished this one. It blew my mind, though it loses points for killing a cat!

Also what the fuck was the deal with the sudden sex change? I liked Dren more while she was a... she!

Pendragon8

Jul 20, 2010
I just watched Splice for the first time and did anyone else notice that when she spelt out Tedious with the Scrabble Tiles that Tedious is and Anagram of Outside (or maybe its vice versa) but still

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
This film really was awful. I don't know why Bob didn't mention the terrible acting, the poorly written characters, the very, very confused development of themes and well, the ludicrous science.

As a movie reviewer you really should have a handle on these things, and mention them if you intend on giving an actual, honest review. You liked it, great, happy for you...but don't recommend a shitty movie, and forget to mention, or outright lie about the quality of its content, just because you think its better than what else is out.

I'm betting that the other two movies you posed against it were better, mostly because they weren't shooting for some prententious Freudian bullshit in their films, and probably contained at least semi-believable characters.

Absolutely awful film.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I'm sorry but while it was good at bringing the science to this it was so unbelievably predictable. It's a Murphy's Law movie where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. So while you may have liked it I look it as either I'm a psychic or this just has no surprises. Also the ending completely makes no sense with the character's development.