Escape to the Movies: Super 8

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
All shall kneel before the Adequacy of this film!

Still I think the monster film thing was only made to lure in the people who didn't want to see 'Kids make a film and grow from it.' as it doesn't make that much and the studio-pushed 'Alien Cover Up Threatens Everything.' was to make sure the money pile was nice and big.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I was worried when I saw the first lens flare, I thought my monitor was starting to die or something. Nice visual gag, Bob. :-D

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I remember seeing an interactive trailer for this is in Portal 2. I have to say, it didn't interest me too much.
*sigh* Yet another apartment space in Nostalgia City.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Just finished watching it, yeah, it sounds like sort of what I was expecting. Bob made it sound like one of those black and white films.

The good parts are good, the bad parts are bad and you just have to decide which side to place your faith in when it comes to seeing it.

I think I'll still give it a shot though. Maybe when it comes to the dollar theatre near my house rather than pay more than the price of the DVD for tickets.

Feb 13, 2008
DaxStrife said:
I was worried when I saw the first lens flare, I thought my monitor was starting to die or something. Nice visual gag, Bob. :-D
I honestly thought my sight was on the way out. Half frown, half clap.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Wait... Kung Pow refrence!!

PLUS ONE INTERNET for Bob!!

OT: I didn't even know that this movie existed, and now I don't plan to remember that fact if it is that messy. Good review.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
The lens flare was a bit annoying.

But yes. Kung Pow was an awesome movie. And now I have to rent it out again because you reminded me of it.

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
I love the visual gag with the lens flare, but you should have let it go unsaid until the end. Drawing attention to comedy makes it less funny.

Otherwise, another entire review that I agree with Bob almost 100% on. This is becoming a scary trend. My review on my site said most of the same stuff, but I think the movie is definitely worth seeing, just not for getting as hyped as they want you to be.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I'm not gonna lie, the lens flare part made me freak out and close the browser page haha.

I'm of the opinion that half a really good movie isn't worth seeing. 50% is still failing, regardless of the good parts. (Not that I would have seen it anyway... I hate movies starring kids.)

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Yay... Moviebob likes Kung Pow (Still one of my favourite movies EVER... watched it about 40 times, have the whole dialog stored in the rusty cluttered thing i call mind)

Also: Watched X-Men yesterday... was okay, but i didn't felt the "Greatness" in there. Could have been partially the dubbing (watched in german), though. Need to watch it in original when it comes out on DVD.

Hm... i am not looking forward to this "Super 8", and i am really not a fan of Abrams. Will pass on this.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I actually haven't heard that Wii U joke, yet, though Kung-Pow IS a funny movie!

Also, people seem to be forgetting what the Tanooki Suit really was: it's the raccoon suit, but with the ability to turn into a stone statue. In the trailer, all we've seen Mario do while wearing the tanooki suit is slow down descent, something the original raccoon suit or, Hell, even the cape from Super Mario World could do.

Seriously, I'm genuinely surprised Bob haven't noticed this. Or are you just so taken aback by the whole "OMG, THE TANOOKI SUIT, I LOVE YOU FOREVER NINTENDO!" to realize something obvious from what you say is the best game ever made.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
me and my wife still will go see it. just because it is really hot where we live and we have nothing really better to do. as long it is in the category that is ok to watch film, im fine with that.
we both dont expect much of this movie but could be worth watching.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
DaxStrife said:
I paused the vid and flipped through my tabs to make sure mine wasn't taking a crap.