Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - The Movie That Broke MovieBob

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Honestly I hated Tobey as Spiderman, and this guy isn't much better. At least he had SOME humor in the first movie (I have not seen this one yet).

I don't have much hope that this one is going to be good either though. What do I love about spiderman?

Well, of all the heroes and comics, spidey had the most humorous outlook on things over all, even when dealing with many very deep and sad topics. Even in his many different alternate comics etc, one of spidermans biggest characteristics was being snarky, or humorous etc.

How is it possible that so many films have been made.....where there is almost no humor, no snide comments, no....FUN.

So yeah, I didn't expect much from this movie...I don't think Bob did either, and I'm surprised that he was really affected so strongly by it. I have given up hope long ago for a good spiderman movie to be honest.

I wish there would be a good one, or better yet, a good spiderman tv series. With all the other super hero tv shows, it would be totally possible to make a good spiderman tv show at this point. But it would need to be like the comics, NOT like the movies so far to work.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
DrMcCoy said:
This is exactly how JJ Abram's Star Trek movies felt to me.
And now comes the almost all-male, with token black guy new Star Wars, for those who endured the prequel trilogy.

And I fear with absolute certainty the same for the Justice League.

I think that if the superhero bubble is to burst it will be because somehow Marvel couldn't withstand the shockwave of all the others around bombing so hard.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
How Bob feel about the Amazing Spider-Man series is how I feel about Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. (Maybe not as dramatic) I sincerely love Batman from the comics, Tim Burton's Batman, and The Animated Series. Then Christopher Nolan made Bruce Wayne a whining quitter and Batman a growling thug with no personality. Don't get me started on his Nolan's weak attempts to try be convey deep messages in his movies. So, you have my sympathy, Bob.

My take on this Spider-Man series so far. I skipped the first movie in the theater, because I was disappointed that Sony didn't give back the movie rights. When I finally did see it, I loved the cast. I wasn't too surprised that the movie was spinning it's wheel with an another origin story.

I'm on the fence on seeing the sequel. I like that there are trying to create a world with this movie. One thing they didn't do a good job with in the first movie. Superhero movies suck when they cram too many villains in one movie. I'm leaning towards seeing on account that this summer movie season sucks until August.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Bob I am just waiting for the moment when you realize that it is not the spider man movies you hate. It is spider man himself that you do not like. You have changed as a critic and your eyes are more analytical but spider man has not changed one iota. He was always a goofy character with bad sequels and adaptations. With the exception of the newest spider man cartoon pretty much all of the TV series have been balls to the wall insane or stupid and that is why I like spider man. He manages to pull off being stupid and entertaining at the same time.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
bdcjacko said:
That is how I felt about the Micheal Bay transformers. But I still have the original cartoon movie. Remeber that Bob.
YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH! YOU'VE GOT THE POWER!!
WHEN ALL HELL'S BREAKING LOOSE YOU'LL BE RIDING THE EYE OF THE STORM!

It's true. Bad new stuff does not erase great old stuff. That's my take on the Star Wars EU erasure, and it's my thought on more Amazing Spider-Man sequels.

Though, I'll be honest... this film looks stupid (and silly) enough to be enjoyable. Bob seems broken but it but I feel like I might laugh at it, which is at least a happy fun time in its own right. And also: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 videogame has Carnage and Kingpin and Black Cat in it and looks kind of neat. Might be a palette cleanser?

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
JarinArenos said:
deathbydeath said:
I, for example, hate Deus Ex: Human Revolution with a passion that could burn houses down, but if you asked me to sit down and give it a formal review I'd say the game is good and give it a score somewhere around 4/5.
This actually piques my curiosity. Care to elaborate?
Just because you hate something doesn't mean you can't look at it as a whole and see how good it is. I don't like CoD or Zelda, but I can understand why people do and analyze it in that respect.
I'd say hatred that can burn houses down is a bit more than "just not my thing." ... though to be fair, I have a rather strong dislike of CoD, myself. Mostly due to some of the less savory elements of the fanbase that I've had the misfortune to deal with, though. I was just curious what it was about DXHR that pushed your buttons.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Wait, the Gentleman? The freaking Gentleman? Wow. If true, I don't know whether to be shocked that the big bad from my favorite piece of Spider Man media ever is actually making it to the big screen, or heavily disappointed that it had to happen in this specific franchise. I need to think about it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Did they make Jamie Foxx's character a super-sympathetic villain or something?

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
I just rewatched Spiderman 2 (2004)
What made it GREAT?
It was a story driven by character's choices. Peter CHOSE to be Spiderman. Doc Ock CHOSE to save the world. Their choices were clear, their reasons were clear, their motives were understandable.
unAmazing Spiderman just threw all that goodness into the bin.

Glad Moviebob called this Electro the "Homeless Dr.Manhattan". I thought the same.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
That's a shame. I really liked the film and I love Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man and his funny quips. The end was a little disappointing but apart from that I enjoyed it a lot.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
So, it's better than the first, which were infinitely better than the three before it, then I'd say I'll feel entertained tomorrow when I go see it.
At least they are not completely utterly boring as the first three.

HemalJB

Oct 10, 2011
Vivi22 said:
But please, for the love of god, whether he thought it was good or bad, can Bob please not talk about it every other video? Especially when it's barely even relevant? Because that got extremely old last time.
Yeah, don't keep your hopes up.
I'm pretty certain that he's already writing an article/making a video about how SPOILER SPOILER does not work and that we're idiots for thinking it's a good emotional scene. Maybe he'll harp on this for weeks like last time. Am certain he'll push sly "ASM2 SUCKS" in his upcoming videos, for the next few years.
Take my advice. Have a bottle of adequate quality liquor on hand and take a shot everytime he criticizes Amazing Spiderman movies, Nolanverse Batman, Man of Steel, J.J.Abrams, Shia Lebouf this new Justice League Franchise or Michael Bay. Take 2 shots everytime he praises the Marvel Cinematic Universe as cinematic gold.
Do reply if you can come up with more rules for this drinking game.

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
You want to talk broken to me Moviebob! I've seen God's not Dead, I've seen good movies, bad movies, and just plain horrid movies but nothing will ever break me like God's not Dead. It's one thing to be a cynical cash grab, it's one thing to be a bad cynical cash grab, but being an unapologetic insulting horrid cynical cash grab is something I can't handle. That movie insulted everything I believe in and everything I stand for and you have the nerve to act like a whiny little fanboy just because this movie was so bad it supposedly "broke you". Here's my opinion, if two bad movies based on a teenager who takes one the imagery of a spider and fights crime are all it takes to break you then you don't truly know what it's like to be broken down by a bad film and you shouldn't come at us with your fan-boyish anger just because you're tired of these cynical cash grabs. And you know what else? I'm going to see this movie because if I have to see God's not Dead rake in 24 times it's budget you get to watch Sony laugh it's way to the banks in order to even come 1/100th of how broken I felt watching God's not Dead.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I saw this film, looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the last one. However I hated this one, pacing was bad, the plot was so full of holes, it was boring, I was texting and tweeting in the film whilst laughing at how cliched and bad it was, one of the most awful films I've ever seen and I'm ever more disappointed that Bob because I enjoyed the first one.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I had a feeling this was going to be bad, I haven't seen it yet, and I think I will treat it like a leper colony. I will leave it alone.

I had a similar reaction that MovieBob had when I was younger, and funnily enough it was about the Spider-Man franchise. I played Spider-Man 2 on PC, and it almost had the same effect on me that this movie had for MovieBob.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Evonisia said:
It's OK, Bob, us nameless internet folk are here to support you!

Besides Batman, they really suck at this, right? Right?
That's Warner Brothers making DC movies. This is Sony making movies that should by all rights not be made by anybody outside of Disney/Marvel at this point.

gogool808

May 17, 2011
I just watched this video for the 3rd times. He spends maybe about 2 minutes of actual reviewing. The rest of it is complaining about something that has nothing to do with this movie. I understand he is upset Sony has a plan for the future of Spider-man and it's not going to be sold to marvel anything soon, but I also know you are very intelligent.

What is this "I'm done with movies" crap. Did you really think your review spider man wasn't going to hold on it's own you had to do this crap? I know you don't go into these videos without a plan and wing it based on your actual opinion. I know you plan things so that your opinion appears relevant with the viewers. I also know you understand a great deal of film and how they work. The thing is that this review is the most half assed thing I have ever seen you do. You literally filled 50% of this review with repetition and soft phrases. The 2 minutes of review were just repeated phrases from some first year film class. How in the world do YOU not understand why harry is still mad even though his illness is cured? You mention marvel more than 3 times I believe.

You aren't reviewing films with expert criticism anymore like you used to. I pretty much realized this with your review on the last twilight movie. Everything people think you will like you will hate, and everything people think you will hate you give it some kind of praise that no one would understand unless you have an "expert" level of understanding in film.

Honestly I just think that the movie dream in you died something back. The dream of making the films you love just didn't pay out like you thought. That kid you used to be that couldn't wait to be in front of a screen to be apart of something bigger than everyday life. Are you seriously becoming the thing you hate the most?