Escape to the Movies: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Vorocano

Jan 8, 2009
Final Fall 0 said:
The Deadpool said:
I never cared for the Narnia movies, nor have I read the books but... What's this one line that makes Aslan less allergory and more second version?
Haven't seen the movie yet, but in the book Aslan says something to the children along the lines of "in your world, I have another name."
Lewis also explicitly said it in one of his letters. He was asked by the letter-writer who Aslan really is, and the answer was something along the lines of, "Who is it in our world who is sometimes called a Lion, died and came back to life, and arrived at around the same time as Father Christmas?" I think he mentioned a couple of other connections to Jesus as well. The allegory is more than just confirmation bias; Lewis clearly intended it as allegory.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
lol @ The Warrior's Way comment at the very end. I mean... I could have told you it was going to be crap, I'm not entirely sure why you thought otherwise. How could they not have that scene in the movie though?? It's the focal point of every preview they've shown!

TheNewDemoman

Feb 21, 2010
neograpeshot said:
TheNewDemoman said:
And I agree, why even bring up the Christian part of the story.
Because some people would rather not spend $10-15 to be preached at for two hours.
Not that Narnia does that, I'm just saying that it's a relevant subject to address in a review of a movie that people will have heard has religious undertones.
They aren't preaching telling you to get saved. They're just using an allegory.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
I really enjoyed this one a lot! Especially your separate comments section. It was nice to hear more about the man who wrote the books. I think people know more about Tolkien's background than Lewis'.

It was also good to hear that they did justice to Augustus and the dragon. I really liked this tale when I was younger and was hoping they managed to do justice to it. Especially, as you said, it wasn't an easy formula for movie makers to adapt.

Keep 'em coming, Movie Bob!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
HankMan said:
bartholen said:
Nooooo, I was really hoping it could have been Rare Exports this week... I guess American audiences don't care for quirky european films after all.
I can't speak for all Americans, but I thought Pan's Labyrinth was a masterpiece, and you can't get much more quirky than that.
Yes you can considering that Guillermo Del Toro will be making At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

Cerrida

Aug 28, 2010
Therumancer said:
I fail to see where it having Chrisian elements to it should be an issue at all. I find it kind of ironic that when something similar to this comes along with a focus on non-Christian religion or philsophy, or that is critical of christianity and/or organized religion in general it's presented as a good thing, but here it's not. I don't think you have to be a believer to appreciate the messages or the analogies, and really I find something rather disturbing with the implication that there is something wrong with being a believer.
I completely agree. Many people preach tolerance that aren't tolerant of Christianity. Of course, MovieBob just seems to hate religious movies in general; I wasn't that interested in The Book of Eli until Bob bashed it because Eli carried a Bible across the US.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I read the Narnia books as a young child and didn't get the Christian subtext at the time. And thus "The Last Battle", the book where that subtext turns into context, confused me to no end.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Glad to hear it turned out pretty well! It's probably my favorite book of the series, though it's been about a decade since I read them last. I was most worried about the adaptation. As you say now it's just worrying about The Last Battle...

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Cobra Triangle!

I wasn't the only person who ended up with a copy of that game as a kid!

If you don't get it, you're probably not old enough.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Really? It was good? I was expecting a floundering sequel that attempted to capture the last fading flares of the first (and second) ones' glory. At least the trailer made it seem that way.

It's true, what you said about the narrative problems. It's part of the reason Dawn Treader was always my least favorite of the Narnia books (The Horse and His Boy is my favorite, minus the pairing-off of two incompatible main characters at the end...*mutters*).

And thank you for not ranting on the Aslan=Jesus issue and the whole allegory thing. People need to realize that faith in mainstream films is not cinematic poison and can be handled (and taken) intelligently and respectfully. The great thing about the stories is that they can work either way: as great allegories or as great fantasy tales (well, except The Last Battle, there it just kinda derails. lol. If they ever earn enough to produce the whole series, it will indeed be interesting to see what they'll do with that black sheep :p).

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I was expecting Bob to mention the two elephants in the room, actually: first, of course, the whole Lion-is-totally-just-Jesus-and-all-but-says-it-explicitly-at-the-end thing. Yeah, that was insane.

You know what else is insane? Lucy's OBVIOUS sexual interest in her own brother, and her fantasy that she's dating two of her brothers. And her feeling that her brother does not want to bang her simply because she is not pretty enough.

Or perhaps how, if the story did not actually involve them going into a magical world, all that we really know that happened is a teenage girl hung out in a room with a bed with her male cousin and brother who she has a thing for and that, after a period of time, all three come out soaked with no clear source of water aside from their own sweat glands or other *ahem* fluids.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
People's objection over the treatment of Susan strikes me as disingenuous in the extreme.

Irrespective of Lewis' stance on more feminine traits in girls, it's clear enough that Susan's separation from Narnia is the result of a fundamental lack of belief. To suggest that she is excluded simply because of her interest in "nylons and lipstick and invitations" is as short-sighted as to suggest that Jesus' encounter with the young, rich man means that only the poor can enter into Heaven. There's nothing wrong with being rich, but idolising your riches and being unwilling to part with them is a deeper issue.

Susan's problem is that she has abandoned her beliefs in Narnia, and let materialistic concerns dominate her attentions. Lewis stated:

The books don't tell us what happened to Susan. She is left alive in this world at the end, having by then turned into a rather silly, conceited young woman. But there's plenty of time for her to mend and perhaps she will get to Aslan's country in the end... in her own way.
At any rate, all I'm trying to say is that drawing the interpretation that embracing some of the cultural norms associated with growing older (as a female) is entirely negative and will prevent you from entering 'heaven' is just missing the point.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
I get really tired of him bashing Christians any time there's a movie with a hint of Christianity behind it. We don't ask him for his opinions or theories on faith, we ask whether a movie is good or not and the God bashing gets old really really fast.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Soo... the fact that my opinions on the allegory probably conflict with all about (except possibly the person immediately above me? o.o), and my coming in really, really late to the conversation aside...

.. Beh, all I'll say is good lord I hope they do Magician's Nephew. I have always, always wanted to see a professional rendering of Charn.

And it would be so, so infinitely awesome if they render Jadis' description of the war between herself and her sister as a flashback. I wanna see the children of Lilith have their apocalyptic civil war XD

Not to mention it'd be interesting to see how these people imagine the book's other allegory >.> Though I guess I hope they don't dare portray that one; it'd be a shame having that mystery resolved. Imagination'll always do it a hundred times better.

So.. yeah, if they make one based on the Magician's Nephew, I might actually bother to pay some attention to this set of films and not just go back to the books for the umpteenth time.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Lord_Ascendant said:
great review, but I think The Silver Chair is MUCH more confusing than The Last Battle and that to do The Magician's Nephew they'd have to go back in time because that was book #1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was book #2....

I've read them all, how did you guess?
you could always set up with a scene with the professor, or someone telling a story about narnia, since by about the time the book came out thats what tehy were doing anyway (even starting the first line in the book with "there is a story that must be told..."). especially if tehy're making these movies in order of book publication (instead of what i originally heard was just do the ones that had the kids playing a major role as the protagonists).

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Given the actor who played Eustace (and was amazing at the part) is now like 18 or more, my hopes for The Silver Chair with him is practically none existent.

Unless they set it in a University Campus, in that case, the teasing to Jill will need to reflect the more matureimmaturity of that age group.

I hope the Narnia films do return and continue.