Escape to the Movies: The Great Gatsby

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
I don't think it's really such a big thing outside of the US.

It's like Huckleberry Fin and the like. Everyone and their dog seems to have read them in America. But we don't read them in school over here.

We read a lot of Shakespeare, a lot of Bronte stuff. John Fowles, excerpts from Shelly and Stoker. Even bits from Doyle.

But never Fitzgerald or other American classics. Infact, I think the only American novel we read was of Mice and Men.
That's very interesting. Actually, I never read Huck Finn in schools either. They don't make us read Mark Twain, despite his influence on the American novel. For some reason, academia seems interested in forgetting him around here.
Unless somebody tries to censor his work. Then we get up in arms on principle.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
Abandon4093 said:
I don't think it's really such a big thing outside of the US.

It's like Huckleberry Fin and the like. Everyone and their dog seems to have read them in America. But we don't read them in school over here.

We read a lot of Shakespeare, a lot of Bronte stuff. John Fowles, excerpts from Shelly and Stoker. Even bits from Doyle.

But never Fitzgerald or other American classics. Infact, I think the only American novel we read was of Mice and Men.
That's very interesting. Actually, I never read Huck Finn in schools either. They don't make us read Mark Twain, despite his influence on the American novel. For some reason, academia seems interested in forgetting him around here.
Unless somebody tries to censor his work. Then we get up in arms on principle.
My class read Huck Finn and spent a good month or so on Twain, but it was also an AP class. I had already read Tom Sawyer as a kid and I read Huck Finn on my own in 6th grade, though I didn't really catch most of the subtle points or even the more blatant satire.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Sean951 said:
My class read Huck Finn and spent a good month or so on Twain, but it was also an AP class. I had already read Tom Sawyer as a kid and I read Huck Finn on my own in 6th grade, though I didn't really catch most of the subtle points or even the more blatant satire.
*eyetwitch*

Mark Twain is classified as advanced reading material? The man who championed simplified writing styles in the late 19th century is considered advanced reading in our education system?

*builds up steam for tremendous rage*

*sighs it off*

The American education system sucks so much.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
Sean951 said:
*eyetwitch*

Mark Twain is classified as advanced reading material? The man who championed simplified writing styles in the late 19th century is considered advanced reading in our education system?

*builds up steam for tremendous rage*

*sighs it off*

The American education system sucks so much.
Anyone can read him, the whole point of the AP class in question was analyzing arguments and rhetorical analysis. The class also covered Of Mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, and in my case, Fahrenheit 451. There were other books and a play (I remember the setting, but not the name. It was around the time of the Salem With Trials and involved Goodie Adam.), but those were the ones that stood out and worth remembering. I

EnglishBlues

Sep 2, 2011
I got to go see the advanced screening of this film on wednesday night. Having never read the book or seen any of the previous versions, I can say I definitely liked it. Baz ain't the worst director ever, you just won't get much depth out of his movies.

Which, ironically, kinda made him the perfect choice for this movie. Who better to film and frame opulent, shallow extravagance for a new generation of film-goers unfamiliar with Gatsby than the very man who put opulent, shallow extravagance on the map cinematically?

First person to suggest Michael Bay wins all of the money.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Fappy said:
Man, the Boston accent is really butting in more and more these days XD

I don't really mind it, but it is kind of jarring to jump between that and your broadcast voice.
Were this a game and not a review it would be immersion breaking. Thats the same feeling I get when I downshift from 5th to 1st instead of 5th to 3rd... without the engine damage.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I HATE the Great Gatsby. The book, I haven't seen the movie. But I hold The Great Gatsby up as one of the most hollow pieces of crap that has ever been forced down a child's throat next to Romeo&Juliet and Religion.

Side note: I call my reasons for occasional plagiarism the Gatsby Principle, because there is NOTHING more that can be written about The Great Gatsby that millions of 12 year-olds haven't already written. There is nothing new to look at, nothing original to write. So apparently this principle applies to Baz Luhrman's movie too.

EDIT: Also, really Bob, you're gonna whine because Electro isn't in his green and yellow spandex with the volt mask. REALLY? It obviously looks like they are going with a more living-lightning version of him.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
All I'm going to say is, in the film clips from this video, I noticed Gatsby swimming in his pool.

Gatsby pretty explicitly never uses his pool. Its kind of a big thematic thing in that he builds up this massive fortune and throws all these parties and is presumably living the good life but never gets to enjoy any of it because he's always striving for something more. I'm not saying the pool detail in particular is crucial to the story, or that an adaptation can't change anything (of course it has to), but that Luhrmann just overlooks a key theme that you could very easily subtly reference in a film suggests that he is much more interested in the look and style than he is in the actual substance.

Good to hear DiCaprio performed though. I generally like his stuff.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
RJ Dalton said:
You also can't spoiler something that's required high school reading. Anybody who doesn't know the story of The Great Gatsby by this point has no excuse not to.
Its funny how Americans assume that if it was required reading for them, it was for everybody. I was only vaguely aware of the existence of the book and only recently learned it was required reading through a joke on Failblog.

If a movie was made about a Latin-American novel, say, 100 Years of Solitude, required reading where I grew up, would it be reasonable if I assumed everybody knows how it goes?

Not that it matters in this case, as I had zero intention of seeing it, but still.

BTW: 100 Years of Solitude is an awesome book.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
EnglishBlues said:
Which, ironically, kinda made him the perfect choice for this movie. Who better to film and frame opulent, shallow extravagance for a new generation of film-goers unfamiliar with Gatsby than the very man who put opulent, shallow extravagance on the map cinematically?
That's the thing, though. Gatsby (the book) is about so much more than the shallow extravagance of the 1920s. People often say that Fitzgerald was trying to capture the spirit of the 20s in his book, but he really wasn't. He was writing in the 20s and, as a really freaking good writer writing a story set in modern times, his novel contains a great deal of that 20s lifestyle. There is a backdrop of opulence that is important and interesting to look at, but to say that is the point of the novel and making it the centerpiece of the film is missing the point. There are much more human themes at the center of Gatsby: ideas of imagining other people as you want them to be rather than as they really are, believing that achieving something can change the past and make you happy, the human condition of always needing something more.

It's a really great book. I highly recommend reading it.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Ukomba said:
bravetoaster said:
Ukomba said:
I'm curious if many people have read what Card has said, or just read what others have said about him. In a resent article, Salon (the whole article painting him as practically Naziesk in his hate) said his "most controversial anti-gay screed" was saying homosexual relationships are different than heterosexual ones. Not really the rabid hate I was expecting.

They later go one to direct the readers to slash fan fictions of his work, the article is really classy.
Are you able to endure reading Card's bigoted, ignorant, fallacious rants? Take a shot, if you like, but I tried, just now, and it was painful: http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html

It's not that he's a universally bad writer and not that he doesn't or can't make reasonable points on other topics, but Card sure does seem to have an impressive hate-on for anyone who happens to be homosexual. If nothing else, that makes him an asshole.

(OT: my captcha just asked "which one is a country?" and when I chose "Canada" over bunny rabbit, colored pencils, chicken salad, fried rice, or a truckload of cabbages, I somehow failed. I feel like my world has been turned upside-down. Which one of those is a country, then?)
It might be me, but I think you're reading a tone that isn't there. He seems to come off as more stridently pro-Heterosexuality than anti-homosexuality. He does seem to have a hate on for the political part of it though. He comes off as more ani-liberal than anything else.

Actually, it's a little meta. The whole article is him railing against the suppression of free speech and how anyone who is for transitional marriage is branded as evil and bigoted, and the article gets him branded evil and bigoted. Proving his point?

It's an uncomfortable subject to be sure, but I can Enjoy Terry Pratchett, and think he's one of best writers currently alive despite disagreeing with him on some very uncomfortable positions he's taken.
Personally, I got as far as "lesbian women can marry a man and have a child" before I got too disgusted to continue. Insisting that the ability to marry someone of the opposite sex is the same as marriage equality seems like entirely missing the point.

There are a lot of famous authors who had questionable beliefs or practices, Wallace Stevens, Charles Schulz, TS. Eliot, etc, but I still think their work can be enjoyed on its own merits, personally.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Ukomba said:
Actually, it's a little meta. The whole article is him railing against the suppression of free speech and how anyone who is for transitional marriage is branded as evil and bigoted, and the article gets him branded evil and bigoted. Proving his point?

It's an uncomfortable subject to be sure, but I can Enjoy Terry Pratchett, and think he's one of best writers currently alive despite disagreeing with him on some very uncomfortable positions he's taken.
If that was his point, he wasted a LOT of words trying to make it... and then still didn?t make it. No one?s taking away his free speech. Just like no one?s taking away freedom of speech or assembly from the KKK. He, like them, can always hide behind the first amendment. And I?ll gladly stand in front of it and protect it for him, should the situation ever arise.

It is interesting how we can (or cannot) separate the artist as a person from the art. I have an easy time doing that with some artists, not so much with others.

(Edit: I sent you a PM with longer commentary on the essay.)

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
imagremlin said:
RJ Dalton said:
You also can't spoiler something that's required high school reading. Anybody who doesn't know the story of The Great Gatsby by this point has no excuse not to.
Its funny how Americans assume that if it was required reading for them, it was for everybody. I was only vaguely aware of the existence of the book and only recently learned it was required reading through a joke on Failblog.

If a movie was made about a Latin-American novel, say, 100 Years of Solitude, required reading where I grew up, would it be OK if I assumed everybody knows how it goes?

Not that it matters in this case, as I had zero intention of seeing it, but still.
Or, perhaps we don't care? It's an American novel made into a movie by an American studio, primarily for an American audience. That said, most classic literature, and this is classic literature, is pretty well known. People might not know how Dracula gets killed, but they tend to know about Mina Harker and van Helsing. They might not know how or why people die in Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet, but they know it happens.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i read this in high school but, dont remember anything about it (it was required reading, i was focused on finishing it in time, not on the story). i remember things not ending great for gatsby, and i remember (strangely enough) the description of a billboard. thats about it

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
imagremlin said:
RJ Dalton said:
No, not everybody. Just everybody who matters.
http://youtu.be/Npkhyeotzog

On a side note, I should probably wait at least until there's two or three pages of comments before posting if I'm going to forget the obvious facts. You're like the fifth or sixth person to comment on this today. ¬_¬

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Ukomba said:
I'm curious if many people have read what Card has said, or just read what others have said about him. In a resent article, Salon (the whole article painting him as practically Naziesk in his hate) said his "most controversial anti-gay screed" was saying homosexual relationships are different than heterosexual ones. Not really the rabid hate I was expecting.

They later go one to direct the readers to slash fan fictions of his work, the article is really classy.
It doesn't matter what Card says. While his rants are calm and not the mad ravings of a lunatic, though no less laughably pathetic and weak (We're not stopping gay people from marrying! ...someone of the opposite sex! Hrhrhr, I'm so clever and smart), he's still a board member of the National Organization for Marriage, the same one that passed Prop 8 and opposes both civil unions and gay adoption. Actions speak louder than any words, and Orson Scott Card is among those that are actively trying to impede the progress of the LGBT movement. It doesn't matter that he's "pro-heterosexual" more than "anti-homosexual." Changing the label doesn't make me think any higher of him. At the heart of the matter, Card is still an active member of those that are trying to harm what should be natural rights of American citizens.

OT: I didn't really like the book, but that's more my fault than the book's. I don't really like sad/bad endings. Still, the 2013 movie seems to have an interesting take on it.

No matter what, I'll still see it because it has Leo DiCaprio. I just can't help it. I've had a crush on him for yeeeeeeeears.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
RJ Dalton said:
On a side note, I should probably wait at least until there's two or three pages of comments before posting if I'm going to forget the obvious facts. You're like the fifth or sixth person to comment on this today. ¬_¬
Sorry mate, I was originally going to post that remark as a general reply, aimed at Bob actually, then saw your post and went for it. My bad, should have read the whole thread before posting.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
imagremlin said:
RJ Dalton said:
Sorry mate, I was originally going to post that remark as a general reply, aimed at Bob actually, then saw your post and went for it. My bad, should have read the whole thread before posting.
No need to actually apologize. I'm more annoyed that I made that mistake than people calling me out on it, if only because the inevitable result was people calling me out on it. *headdesk*

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
Sean951 said:
Or, perhaps we don't care? It's an American novel made into a movie by an American studio, primarily for an American audience. That said, most classic literature, and this is classic literature, is pretty well known. People might not know how Dracula gets killed, but they tend to know about Mina Harker and van Helsing. They might not know how or why people die in Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet, but they know it happens.
I'm curious, when you say you don't care... is it about foreign literature? about the fact that the Great Gatsby isn't so big outside the US? Or the fact that there may be people out there who genuinely never heard of it and would like to see the movie? Just asking clarification, not trying to antagonize.

I've read or heard about all your other examples and so did most people I grew up with, but not the GG. Not saying is a bad book or anything, in fact, after Bob's review and by the comments I've read so far I may give it a try.

EDIT: Thinking about this, I realize that even though I know about these books, I was never required to read them. They are not required on any spanish speaking country that I know of. So I'm guessing our knowledge of any literary works outside your own language is probably related to how much its been used in popular media. Do you know about Don Quixote? You probably do, although I'm guessing you were not required to read it. That may explain why the Great Gatsby is such an unknown work in other languages.