Escape to the Movies: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

MovieBob takes us along with the Dwarves and the lone Hobbit on their trip for honor ... and gold.

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Interesting. Definitely going to see this. Well I was going to see it anyway, but yeah...

EDIT: Fixed it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Oh no no no MovieBob!

You forgot the Orange smear and him looking off into the distance with battle-scarred terrain in the background.

I hope to both see Part 1 and Desolation of Smaug this weekend(I put off an unexpected journey because of the time commitment a Peter Jackson-Tolkien movie demands)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Is War Machine (or Iron Patriot or whatever new name he's going to be called by the time the movie rolls around) going to be in Avengers 2? 'Cause this will be the first I've heard if it.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, didn't see the first one and nothing you said or showed me here gave me the slightest urge to see this one. Everything about it just looks awful, from the comedy dwarf makeup to the crappy Gandalf action scenes.

But then I wasn't overly fond of the original LotR series either - I always felt they sacrificed character for action and spectacle and this looks like it's gone even further the same way.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
I strongly suggest to anyone "DONT READ THE HOBBIT" its ok if back in your childhood that have read it and known the basic plot but if you did what I did and actually read the hobbit in a effort to psyche ones self up for the movie.... your making a big mistake.

I enjoyed the movie but every time a characters motivation was changed because Peter wanted to tie the movie into LOTR just annoyed me. Certain things are completely different from the book purely in an attempt to say hey this is still a prequel to my most awesome movieness.

All the extra scenes that don't appear in the book that peter made up feel like cement in a effort to make movie number 2 the 3 hour epic its suppose to be.

Also don't go see the movie in 3D it just ruins the aesthetics and makes an already dark and greyer movie even more bleak.

My biggest annoyment and again this comes from reading the book and enjoying every word is that its a children book and peter wants to make this into LOTR v2.0 which really irks me.

But its still a good movie ....

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I never felt like the first hobbit was padded even if it probably was, despite that I still wonder or its really a good idea to make this a trilogy, largely because it feels like the only reason it?s a trilogy is because of money.

I?m mostly looking forward to more smaug since he was incredibly awesome in the opening of the hobbit, the fact that he?s voiced by benedict cumberbatch only makes me more excited.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
I really dug Luke Evans as the Bard great casting choice and Laketown looked great overall. My favorite location visually so far. Smaug was a knockout. The scene with him talking with Bilbo was the best part of the movie in my opinion.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Actually that Tom Cruise movie didnt look that bad, its about time travel and shit, kind of like Source Code.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
If anyone is going to go see this then don't see it in 3D. It's just distracting and grainy and terrible and....bleh.

Also, does anyone else see Luke Evans and think "Discount Orlando Bloom" or is it just me?

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Is War Machine (or Iron Patriot or whatever new name he's going to be called by the time the movie rolls around) going to be in Avengers 2? 'Cause this will be the first I've heard if it.
First I've heard, too. Google shows some rumory stories from about 17 hours ago, so... mayyybeeee?

Why wasn't he in Avengers? There are some possibilities. War Machine may be exclusively US military and SHIELD is vaguely United Nations Security Councily or maybe NATO-ish. It would make sense for a US Sec Def to be protective of their only "superhero" asset. Another possibility is that after the disaster of having him hacked in IM2 by Vanko and his Hammer-tech being a flop, they didn't believe he could tango with the big boys. (Though, he got hacked AGAIN after that, so... wtf, guys.)

Should he be in Avengers 2? Hell yeah. An updated War Machine (and yes, they should call him War Machine, the Iron Patriot stuff was cute in IM3 but it doesn't work with Cap in the room) could be a lot of fun, even if Tony has essentially the same power set. It's not that hard to make him distinct enough to justify him alongside Iron Man, especially if Rhodey uses a "Hulkbuster Jr.-style" suit with heavy munitions, contrasted with the sleeker standard Iron Man. Or even better, Tony may not be suited up all that much, considering the end of IM3. It would be good for the shared cinematic universe if they could start deemphasizing RDJ in favor of heroes that could get their own shot at a franchise. A War Machine movie would be a way to keep the Iron Man franchise alive (hell, Rhodey could even take the name Iron Man, as well, like he did in the comics). My only concern is that he's been pretty much a running joke for the franchise thus far, so... well... maybe Avengers can right the ship.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I was going to The Desolation of Smaug expecting more of the same (a very uneasy match between LotR style epic and the simple Hobbit story) and was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun, fast movie and I was genuinely interested in the 'extra stuff' outside the actual Hobbit story. I'm still doubtful about the necessity of making three films out of it, but I'm really starting to enjoy that they did. I might go see it again next week.

My highlights: Smaug, Bard and Tauriel were very good, Lake Town and the Lonely Mountain looked great and Legolas was unexpectedly well in his place here.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Just saw it and I loved it. That being said their was not enough Gandalf for my liking but what there was was epic, especially a meeting with someone that was very dramatic and it does end rather abruptly but this just means the begining of the movie should be explosive.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
anthony87 said:
If anyone is going to go see this then don't see it in 3D. It's just distracting and grainy and terrible and....bleh.

Also, does anyone else see Luke Evans and think "Discount Orlando Bloom" or is it just me?
Heh, that's funny because when I saw the very first trailer and pictures of him, I was thinking. "Hey, that looks like the guy in Pirates of the Caribbean. Who was that? Oh yeah, Orlando Bloom. Wait... Wasn't he Legolas??

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
josemlopes said:
Actually that Tom Cruise movie didnt look that bad, its about time travel and shit, kind of like Source Code.
The author of the original manga, 'All you need is kill', said he was heavily inspired by video games when he wrote it.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Saw it last night, and it was pretty darn good. As a fan of the original book, I'm pleased with roughly 90% of the additions to the film series.

What bugged me a bit, though, was Legolas. I expected him to have a cameo appearance, possibly with a single sweet fight scene. Instead, he's one of the main characters in this film, with easily the best action scenes, which takes away a bit from the main plot. Also, they could have done a better job with his makeup. Orlando Bloom is still has his youthful good looks, but it's quite obvious that he's a decade older here than he was in LotR, in contrast with Hugo Weaving who looked just as timeless in Unexpected Journey as he did in the original trilogy.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Is the presence of War Machine in the credits due to some news or is Bob just wondering why he wasn't in Avengers? The only excuse I can think of for his absence
Is that originally no one (in cannon) expected things to blow up as they did, at first Bruce Banner was only there as Bruce Banner rather than the Hulk, Tony Stark only there for his brains rather than his suit, Captain America to provide some muscle and Thor to keep an eye on Loki. So I'm guessing that none of the higher ups thought that they needed to bring extra muscle in and by the time it was apparent that things were way worse than feared and there would be a giant battle the War Machine was already deeply involved in some other mission. The fact that the battle never left New York and the secret council seemed confident their missile would work all lead to the idea that no one thought more back up was needed But that's just my opinion based on speculation

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
Just saw it and I loved it. That being said their was not enough Gandalf for my liking but what there was was epic, especially a meeting with someone that was very dramatic and it does end rather abruptly but this just means the begining of the movie should be explosive.
I have but one question that can be answered in one word, so that's all I ask. No spoilers or anything else.

Do the spiders talk? Yes or no please.

Seriously, this is all I care about. The eagles didn't talk, so I'm very worried about the spiders talking. I would like to know ahead of time so I can be prepared to brush it off and not bracing myself the entire movie to be disappointed, or go in with a smile on my face.