Escape to the Movies: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Just saw it and I loved it. That being said their was not enough Gandalf for my liking but what there was was epic, especially a meeting with someone that was very dramatic and it does end rather abruptly but this just means the begining of the movie should be explosive.
I have but one question that can be answered in one word, so that's all I ask. No spoilers or anything else.

Do the spiders talk? Yes or no please.

Seriously, this is all I care about. The eagles didn't talk, so I'm very worried about the spiders talking. I would like to know ahead of time so I can be prepared to brush it off and not bracing myself the entire movie to be disappointed, or go in with a smile on my face.
Yes.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bob pronounces "Smaug" funny.

"Smowg."

Sorry, I should probably say something more useful. Umm... sounds good, but I'm still kinda "eh" on the whole Hobbit endeavor. I think Bob summed it up nicely when he described the whole thing as a victory lap.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Just saw it and I loved it. That being said their was not enough Gandalf for my liking but what there was was epic, especially a meeting with someone that was very dramatic and it does end rather abruptly but this just means the begining of the movie should be explosive.
I have but one question that can be answered in one word, so that's all I ask. No spoilers or anything else.

Seriously, this is all I care about. The eagles didn't talk, so I'm very worried about the spiders talking. I would like to know ahead of time so I can be prepared to brush it off and not bracing myself the entire movie to be disappointed, or go in with a smile on my face.
...yes and no. They don't talk normally, but when Bilbo puts on the ring, he understands what the spiders are saying.

OT: I...have a few problems with this movie. It really felt padded out to me and I still think some scenes could have ultimately been cut. This was supposed to be originally a two movie epic and now its kinda showing. Maybe the third one will tie everything together put this movie began to push it. It's still a great movie though.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yojoo said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Gizmo1990 said:

Yes.
Excellent. Thank you for letting me know. :)

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Zhukov said:

"Smowg."
As stupid as it sounds, that's how they pronounce it in the movie.

Is it just me, or was Orlando Bloom in there twice?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Oh another Hunger Games jab, well this is going to be fun for the next 500 times Bob does the same thing. At least no-one can ever accuse him of having trouble letting go (to be fair, he didn't mention how he hates Amazing Spider or that Batman's overplayed in this particular video). Although it's worse because it's really bizarre for someone to criticise the Hunger Games for not having enough mindless crowd-pleasing and vapid action.

That aside, I'm really glad the buzz has been that this film is going to be even better than the last

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Movie Bob said:
Tom Cruise stars in: "Generic Video-Game Box-Art: The Movie"
As loosely interpreted from one of the most interesting Science Fiction stories in the last decade with plot jettisoned to make it into a typical Hollywood shoot'em up.

The only thing good I can think about this movie is that, if its as bad as I think it is, it'll be no competition for the other movie coming out that weekend; The Fault in our Stars (which I'm counting the days until released)

BunnyKillBot

Fragged by Bunny
Oct 23, 2010
Bob Chipman i name you hypocrite and coward for not picking out the shoehorned in clichéd trope feast of a love story, for the one token female character, who just had to have a soppy love story because shes a chick like.

I thought better of you.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Interesting. Defiantly going to see this. Well I was going to see it anyway, but yeah...
But he recommended the movie, going to see it wouldn't be defiant at all.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I liked this second movie.
Althou if I had directed it I would've made it a lot more slowpaced, they left out some of my favorite parts from the book and I didn't like the ending.
I would've ended the movie with Smaug dying. Now the third movie will start with complete chaos and then there's the whole war thing, I feel the third will just be to much death and destruction.
I would've shortened the barrel scene A-LOT and then made the last battle in Erebor shorter --> made Smaug fly to Laketown and have him shot down (after some cool citydestroying) and have the movie end there.
I would also have wanted the Beorn scene be more like from the book, the whole 2 dwarves at a time thing. This time also taken from shortening the barrel scene + battle in the mountain.

But overall I was very pleased with it.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
I saw it and was really annoyed with things that I didn't really think needed changing, but got a change to lead in to a lengthy battle scene. And some things just seemed arbitrarily changed for zero reason. Like the light showing the keyhole scene. Splitting the party. Dwarves under the mountain. Laketown politics. A lot of what just seemed like padding and changes that seemed to occur for no reason.

That said, Smaug is easily the most bad ass dragon I have seen on film since Dragonslayer. To the point that it really seemed absurd that the dwarves weren't taking casualties in their fight with him.

On more of a nitpick level, stupid liquid metal physics were stupid and there was a strong disconnect between having a corrupt dictator who rules via secret police, gestapo tactics and having him be Stephen Fry.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
josemlopes said:
Actually that Tom Cruise movie didnt look that bad, its about time travel and shit, kind of like Source Code.
Bob actually seems kind of into it (on his blog). He just hates the title, because the original title of the Japanese Light Novel it's based on is "All you need is Kill." Which is an amazing title.

Aptspire said:
josemlopes said:
Actually that Tom Cruise movie didnt look that bad, its about time travel and shit, kind of like Source Code.
The author of the original manga, 'All you need is kill', said he was heavily inspired by video games when he wrote it.
Light Novel. The Manga is coming in 2014.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Tauriel really is the best character in this film. I enjoyed this one much more than the first, but was disappointed in where they chose to end it. Fifteen extra minutes would have been the difference between this movie being a three hour bridge between the first and last movie or it actually having it's own sub-plot complete with a resolution.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
anthony87 said:
If anyone is going to go see this then don't see it in 3D. It's just distracting and grainy and terrible and....bleh.

Also, does anyone else see Luke Evans and think "Discount Orlando Bloom" or is it just me?
Nope, not just you. Their resemblance is uncanny.

Anyway, I agree and disagree with this review. Personally, I felt that this was the weakest of the Jackson movies so far. The pacing was really choppy in the beginning, with the Beorn scene being the ultimate example in that he really got the shaft and most of the most memorable bits of his part got cut out, and Mirkwood was a bit rushed too. And while I agree that the whole Tauriel thing was well-written and the actress did a great job, but overall her inclusion did feel...unnecessary, like they only added her so the movie would have at least one prominent female role and provide the obligatory romantic sideplot. Personally, I would have preferred it had they just left her out, expanded on some of the parts from the beginning, and had less "Oh look at Legolas and friends (other elves) being awesome!"

But beyond those complaints, I liked it a lot. Bilbo and the Dwarves were wonderful as usual, Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect choice for Smaug (who may be the most terrifying movie beast since the T-rex in Jurassic Park), and I loved the expanded role both Bard and Gandalf had.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The first film was pretty disappointing for me. A lot of the extra stuff felt unnecessary (especially the whole old Bilbo with Frodo part)and it felt like two different movies were fighting each other. One, was an almost Disney tone that perfectly suited how the book felt, and the other was the much darker and foreboding tone of the LotR trilogy.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
Is the presence of War Machine in the credits due to some news or is Bob just wondering why he wasn't in Avengers? The only excuse I can think of for his absence
Is that originally no one (in cannon) expected things to blow up as they did, at first Bruce Banner was only there as Bruce Banner rather than the Hulk, Tony Stark only there for his brains rather than his suit, Captain America to provide some muscle and Thor to keep an eye on Loki. So I'm guessing that none of the higher ups thought that they needed to bring extra muscle in and by the time it was apparent that things were way worse than feared and there would be a giant battle the War Machine was already deeply involved in some other mission. The fact that the battle never left New York and the secret council seemed confident their missile would work all lead to the idea that no one thought more back up was needed But that's just my opinion based on speculation
That's the most plausible theory about that little discrepancy. I've been pondering for a while if the next Cap movie will have Steve wonder if anyone else took up the Captain America mantle after he was frozen (like in the comics) and go through S.H.I.E.L.D.'s database, finding out about the replacement Caps. But I digress.

I'm still undecided about whether or not to see each individual movie in theaters or shotgun the whole trilogy on Blu-ray.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Just for future reference, Bob. You don't pronounce Armitage as "Ar-mi-tahj", it's "Army-tij".

Otherwise, glad to hear it's a good film, can't wait to see it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Zhukov said:

"Smowg."

Sorry, I should probably say something more useful. Umm... sounds good, but I'm still kinda "eh" on the whole Hobbit endeavor. I think Bob summed it up nicely when he described the whole thing as a victory lap.
"Eh" (or maybe even "meh" if you want me to expand on that) neatly sums up how I feel about the whole 3-part Hobbit sequence myself. I went to see the first one, even though I was hardly champing at the bit to do so and this time around I am having real trouble getting even remotely pumped for the second installment.