Escape to the Movies: The Hunger Games

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Hithlain said:
Most of the things you said about the movie, the running through endless forests, the weird rules about the games, the fakey romance... they are all problems inherent to the BOOKS, and not just the movie. From what you said, it seems like a fairly faithful adaptation XD
Exactly. The movie (I thought) did a much better job of presenting the games in a broader context than the book did. The only perspective you ever see in the books is Katniss running jumping climbing and running some more, whereas the movie shows you the effect her actions had on the world. The movie writers can only do so much!

Saladfax

May 16, 2008
Furrama said:
Sorry Bob, you have too many petty and hypocritical reasons to dislike this one. Future sounding names are overdone to YOU. Oh yes, there are things to dislike about the editing and camera work, the fact that they cut out perhaps too much for time and left non readers of the book out in the dark, but your general disregarding of the material on the bases of "this has all been done before" without giving credit to some of new twists on old tropes is pretty shallow given some of the ridiculous stuff you do like and find "sacred" or give passes to because it is the same old thing you've always liked.
I've come to the conclusion, correct or not, that Bob is very little more than a hardcore nostalgist. It's very evident from his preferences across media and all of his video series, including (especially) Game Overthinker.

This is just the way he seems to enjoy his media: if it has some manner of tie-in to some beloved childhood relic of his (and doesn't suck a big fat one like the Transformers movies), he will love/defend it to death. Hence his constant fellatio of anything Nintendo (especially garbage like the new Metroid) and enjoyment of films like GI Joe.

Which leads me to the pettiest of conclusions: since he sees The Hunger Games as a series for youngish girls, he hearkens back to the days when girls were ew, gross and thus the stuff they like is also ew, gross.

Once again, I found the review by Half in the Bag to be better, more insightful, and more informative in every single way. I really used to like most of what Bob says/does, but his adherence to very little more than nostalgia makes him a poor authority on quality.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Wait, why do you think the book only has a young teen girl following? I don't get it. I know tons of guys who like, this isn't Twilight we're talking about here.
Really, because it's a forest that makes it generic? What the fuck are you talking about?! Were you expecting some kinda space arena death dome? Yes the camera can be very annoying although they do tone it down and it can be tolerable at times. OH YEAH! Speaking of low quality, your videos! Srsly you've been using that stupid smily face SINCE YOUR FIRST VIDEOS! It's sooooo unprofessional and lazy, I can't believe you still get away with it.
Wow you counted three movies with a similar premise, 3 is a big number. In case you haven't realized this, every idea has already been done. Your 3rd and 2nd best movies of 2011 were comic book movies, how over done and trite *snort* *snort* (do you like my film critic impersonation?).
Have you ever heard the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? That is the reason why the fashion is so popular and since these guys are the most self absorbed snobs they are on the high end of fashion.
So in conclusion, you're just wrong
[youtube=WrjwaqZfjIY

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I dunno, I'm going to go into this one very cautiously. Two of my favorite films ever are Rollerball and Battle Royale, and every indication I've seen is that the artistic design and camera direction for the Hunger Games is very bland and dull. I don't need Bob to notice that washed-out blue-green is a very popular color in this film. Bleah.

This is just a modern film gripe, but can people filming movies please stop washing out the colors? The stylistic decision looked good in Collateral, because it was at night and the extra visibility was needed. But if I have to watch one more movie with "washed-out green" or "burnt-out yellow" as the primary color, I'm going to go crazy.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I didn't enjoy this film. I found that the use of woods was repetitive and a shame because they had already discussed other possible locations in the film (one scene had a murder in a burnt out city). Could've done more with it. Also, the main female protagonist was just boring, I could not stand her and I was kinda hoping she'd kick the bucket. The entire thing was a bit...just completely meh with only a couple of decent moments (Girl on Fire thing, Woody Harrelson because he is amazing). Despite this I believe that there is going to be a sequel and as my girlfriend loved this movie I'm probably going to see that as well.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
I actually was in this movie as an extra. And I disagree with you Bob, this movie was one of the best book adaptations I've ever seen. It almost exactly captured the feelings of the books.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
The cinematography left something to be desired.

I swear, 95% of the movie was shot with telephoto shaky cam. I was literally starving for wide angle shots.

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
If you're going to complain about "futureistic" names, you should research and realize katniss is a plant and is already a POPULAR NAME

TJM8

Jan 25, 2009
So my order of input was as follows: book, bob's review, movie, movie, bob's review. I do think that bob has some valid points bout the movie, me not being a fan of the shaky camera stuff that made me sick in the bourne identity sequels but some points i felt didnt land. Complaints about the action scenes I felt were misplaced, I personally think the idea behind the "lack-luster" of them is that they are kids fighting. Yes the "careers" are trained but most of the other districts were just kids, kids taht were too busy trying to just make enough to survive to train to fight. So the scenes go as you would expect they would between kids in their late teens who had been trained to kill since a very young age with alittle else on their minds and kids that work to just have enough to eat to survive, its a saluter, and thats the point. This isnt GI joe with super humans fighting to death

honestly im bias cause i read the books, liked them alot, and watching the movie actually filled in spots that the books could not because of the narration. But it does seem like bob wanted to dislike this one, not that it matters, its not gonna stop the movie from doing well

Animeking1108

Aug 14, 2012
Cosplay Horatio said:
I recently rented and watched the Official Battle Royale DVD release in it's English dubbed option because I'm most likely not gonna go see Hunger Games in theaters and the dubbed English format is as horrible as 60's and 70's dubbed Chinese Kung Fu movies but at least we have the option to watch Battle Royale because Hunger Games to me will never be as sexy and brutal as BR 1 and 2.
Yes, because you need sex and violence to be good. If that's the case, Micheal Bay is a cinematic genius.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Animeking1108 said:
Cosplay Horatio said:
I recently rented and watched the Official Battle Royale DVD release in it's English dubbed option because I'm most likely not gonna go see Hunger Games in theaters and the dubbed English format is as horrible as 60's and 70's dubbed Chinese Kung Fu movies but at least we have the option to watch Battle Royale because Hunger Games to me will never be as sexy and brutal as BR 1 and 2.
Yes, because you need sex and violence to be good. If that's the case, Micheal Bay is a cinematic genius.
"Michael" Bay has nothing to do with this but YUP, I like sexiness and violence in films especially in ones that have the basic plot of killing till there is only one person left alive.

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
Cosplay Horatio said:
Animeking1108 said:
Cosplay Horatio said:
"Michael" Bay has nothing to do with this but YUP, I like sexiness and violence in films especially in ones that have the basic plot of killing till there is only one person left alive.

I too enjoy a movie with sexy women, explosions, and bodies hitting the floor from time to time.

Personally speaking, I find myself a tad bit shallow and a bit dense when I do. But at times I'd rather be a shallow dense guy enjoying himself rather than an over-opinionated, enraged, needlessly high standard person who doesn't have any fun until looking at things from his childhood...

... ... ... and lie to myself by thinking that only nintendo is worth anything. *flees*

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Ramzal said:
Cosplay Horatio said:
Animeking1108 said:
Cosplay Horatio said:

I too enjoy a movie with sexy women, explosions, and bodies hitting the floor from time to time.

Personally speaking, I find myself a tad bit shallow and a bit dense when I do. But at times I'd rather be a shallow dense guy enjoying himself rather than an over-opinionated, enraged, needlessly high standard person who doesn't have any fun until looking at things from his childhood...

... ... ... and lie to myself by thinking that only Nintendo is worth anything. *flees*
Over-Opinionatied? I rarely give opinions and when I do I get called over-opinionated. If I had high standards I wouldn't be able to watch many good movies or play lots of good games. I know all of the comments are coming from people who like The Hunger Games and have seen it. I've seen and also like The Hunger Games but I like Battle Royale 1 and 2 more. Nintendo has nothing to do with this.

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
Cosplay Horatio said:
Ramzal said:
Cosplay Horatio said:
Animeking1108 said:
Cosplay Horatio said:

... ... ... and lie to myself by thinking that only Nintendo is worth anything. *flees*
Over-Opinionatied? I rarely give opinions and when I do I get called over-opinionated. If I had high standards I wouldn't be able to watch many good movies or play lots of good games. I know all of the comments are coming from people who like The Hunger Games and have seen it. I've seen and also like The Hunger Games but I like Battle Royale 1 and 2 more. Nintendo has nothing to do with this.
No no, I wasn't calling you over-opinionated. XD I was calling Bob over-opinionated. I can see how it would seem like I called you that, my mistake.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Ramzal said:

Over-Opinionatied? I rarely give opinions and when I do I get called over-opinionated. If I had high standards I wouldn't be able to watch many good movies or play lots of good games. I know all of the comments are coming from people who like The Hunger Games and have seen it. I've seen and also like The Hunger Games but I like Battle Royale 1 and 2 more. Nintendo has nothing to do with this.[/quote]

No no, I wasn't calling you over-opinionated. XD I was calling Bob over-opinionated. I can see how it would seem like I called you that, my mistake.[/quote] Thanks for clearing that up.