Escape to the Movies: The Interview - This Is What We're All Getting Worked Up Over?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
So, the movie with Rogen and Franco was a middle of the road, stoners comedy. Not particularly great, not offensively bad. Big surprise there...

But I still feel MovieBob missed some of the point there. The reaction was not about the movie itself, but the previous events that lead to the release of the movie. It is not about the quality of it. It could have been the worst comedy since Grown Ups 2 or the best one since Airplane, it could have been a movie, a game or a comic book, but it wouldn't matter. The issue was still that a country used cyber-terrorism tools to force an multinational company not to release something they feel make fun of their leader.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Tanneseph said:
It absolutely kills me that this movie has become the.... symbol?.... that it has. It's goofy low-brow, fine for people into that sort of thing, but now it's been elevated into some sort of blazing sign of Freedom or something. In a just world, it would come out, some fans would enjoy it, and then it would just freaking disappear.

Thanks for making that sentiment more official than I could, MovieBob.
I'm guessing it's just the same notion that made The Hunger Games or V for Vendetta symbols for freedom at home, only freedom for abroad. People completely missapropriating the themes, message or context.

Okay the other two weren't censored, but it's just more of the slacktivism using pop culture that is ever present on facebook, like Moviebob said, "liking a facebook post turns you into Martin Luther King"

Odoylerules360 said:
Shut up, Bob. The Interview was better than The Avengers.
A blazing critique you have there. You certainly wrote in such a way that prevents me from bringing up arguments with it.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I don't know about USA January, but UK January means we're seeing the release of Enemy, Foxcatcher, Ex Machina, Wild, Kingsman, and Inherent Vice come out.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well This Is The End was complete crap so i doubt this movie will be any different, but im sure it has its audience. As for the reason people got worked up, it was because of the canceling of it and then changing their mind, especially when it looked like they were back tracking to NKs will.

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
You can't claim that watching The Interview isn't a person standing up for freedom of speech.
You're putting money to it.
And since corporations are people.... Putting money on something is an act of standing up for freedom of speech.

You shouldn't get all preachy about it... but it IS an act that speaks to the movers and shakers of the American government: The corporations.

Claiming that purchasing this movie means nothing is the same as claiming MLK's march on Washington means nothing because it's just a bunch of people walking.