Escape to the Movies: The Kings Speech

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Well that blows... is there an awards ceremony that doesn't have a formula for best movie of the year?

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
darkman80723 said:
I hope like hell this movie falls flat on its ass at the Oscars; it was boring, the acting was terrible, and really the story sucked...true just my opinion but there it is.
Entitled to your opinion of course.

However, like MovieBob says, you can't criticise a 'based on a real story' movie for a bad story cos, well, thats how it happened... (more or less)

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
SpiderJerusalem said:
DayDark said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
DayDark said:
it's about a king! I can't freaking relate to a king! I don't even have a speech problem! I sure as hell can relate a lot more to the conflicts faced by Luke Skywalker. Normal people aren't void of imagination.
Are you a farmer? Do you live in the desert? Do you take part in an intergalactic war?

No.

So from this we can conclude that the setting is irrelevant to if one can or can't relate to the characters involved, thereby showing that "true stories" or real life settings are not more engaging than fiction.
So from this we can also conclude that such a thing as "Oscar Bait" does not exist and is simply an excuse to rail about a movie under a guise of commentary.
There's no difference in relatability between real life "true story" setting or fictional setting. But both the fictional scenario or the real life setting, can still have a specific target.

But you're probably right, there's no such thing as demographic, or target audience. Like I said, it's probably all just a big coincidence that The King's Speech is about overcoming something sad and sympathetic, in a morally uncomplicated setting about two people from different classes, and it's a true story! All of which just happens to be favorited by most of the people voting in the oscars.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
SpiderJerusalem said:
Wait, Star Wars isn't about overcoming something sad and sympathetic by in a morally uncomplicated setting about two people from different classes?
And when did I say that Star Wars was?

You can't have it both ways, saying there's no difference between the materials yet that there totally is.
There can be subjective difference, but you can't as a rule say one thing is more relatable than another.

As others, myself included, have pointed out, there is no "favorite" among academy voters, as the overwhelming majority of them is becoming by the year to be younger and younger people.
This was already addressed in the video.

But hey, you folks are welcome to live in that blissfully unaware state believing the conspiracy theories - you know, the ones that Bob claimed don't exist.
And your welcome to pretend there's no bias at all, and everything pointing towards oscar bias is really just coincidence.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I still feel like watching it. Call me a snob. And if it does win, then at least we can have another one of Colin Firth's entertaining acceptance speeches. Fridges and midlife crises are far more interesting than "I want to thank my family and the crew..."

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Pirate Yoda Online said:
spiffleh said:
Well acted but Rush was playing the same role he always plays
How is Logue similar to Captain Barbosa...?
They both are fairly straightforward characters with a touch of quirkiness to them. Personally I see very little difference personality wise.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
spiffleh said:
Pirate Yoda Online said:
spiffleh said:
Well acted but Rush was playing the same role he always plays
How is Logue similar to Captain Barbosa...?
They both are fairly straightforward characters with a touch of quirkiness to them. Personally I see very little difference personality wise.
Fair enough, I haven't actually seen King's Speech yet, I was merely assuming that a pirate would be vastly different from a working class Australian speech therapist.

So I guess I'll see what you mean when I go and see it.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
You know the large irony? How much a lot of people have ignored even "listening" or "finishing" Bob's video. He never said The King's Speech was incredibly bad, it was just forgettable.

And you know what? I'd rather watch a movie I'd rather remember than watch a good movie which I will forget after a week has past. You know why? Because it felt like I've wasted 1-3 hours watching something that will never even be remembered nor contribute to my way of thinking.

EDIT: And why am I ignoring what he said as Oscar Bait? It's because the things he said about Oscar bait is incredibly inaccurate. But it doesn't mean I have to hate on him for being wrong.

For my final comment, there's nothing truly right or truly wrong in this discussion. It's all about people's opinions.

nicebuffalo

Apr 11, 2010
I really liked this movie. I watched the fighter and true grit and the social network and inception but this one had a more comical tone than any of them.

CuChullain71

Sep 12, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
jigilojoe said:
I don't see your point, this film was set 60 years after that so the people around would be close descendants of those first settlers.
Snip

Plus you seem to be of the mindset that somehow all settlers were convicts which is absurd. Around 160,000 convicts were transported to Australian colonies from 1788-1868. In 1868 the population of Australia was around 1 million, which would indicate a rather large influx of free settlers... especially considering that not all transportation sentences were life terms and that one colony, South Australia, never served as a penal colony. Want to guess where Lionel Logue was born?
I don't think he was saying that Australians in the 40's were literally criminals, but that there was still enough of the 'colonial convict' attitude in England during that time for the relationship between the King and Logue to be even more lop-sided in terms of class mismatch than usual.

That said, I'm pretty sure Australians at the time weren't looked down upon by the English nowhere near as much as compared to other groups such as the Irish.

opportunemoment

Jun 22, 2009
Heh. It's true - this movie is made of 100% pure Oscar bait.

Still, this review made me pout a bit. I can't help but think, omg you joyless meanie Moviebob. I mean I know you gave it 3 stars which isn't actually a BAD review, but still. I thought the King's Speech was lovely. At least 4 stars, maybe 4 and a half. So there.

I know it's a bit of a perfect storm, and everything apart from the verdict is truefax. But still, speaking as a Brit, talking about the casting rubs me up the wrong way a little bit. Film about British people involves British actors (and one fabulous Australian). WHO WOULD EVER HAVE THOUGHT.

Kandon Arc

Mar 10, 2009
Out of interest I went and looked up the list of best picture nominees to see how accurate his 'guide' to Oscar bait was. You know the last time a film set in WWII won best picture was 1996 (The English Patient). Not only that but if you look at the losers since then it makes for some interesting reading:

-Atonement loses to No Country for Old Men
-Letters From Iwo Jima loses to The Departed
-The Pianist loses to Chicago
-and my personal favourite: generally considered one of the greatest WWII films ever, Saving Private Ryan loses to Shakespeare in Love.

Yeah I guess the academy just can't say no to WWII era films can it? In fact since 1970 only 4 WWII era films have won: Patton, The Last Emperor, Schindler's List and The English Patient. How the hell do you extrapolate a WWII bias from that?

Really if you look at the last decade in particular, none of this guide really holds up as the only points that are present in most of them (overcoming things, relationships that fall apart 3/4 of the way through only to reunite for the end) are endemic in movie-making as a whole and to say that they are characteristic of Oscar bait is about as fair as saying that sound or dialogue is Oscar bait.

The Academy does have it's preferences, that's true, but if there was some template for Academy success we would see the same film win year after year. It's up to you whether you think all these films are essentially the same:

- The Hurt Locker
- Slumdog Millionaire
- No Country for Old Men
- The Departed
- Crash
- Million Dollar Baby
- The Return of the King
- Chicago
- A Beautiful Mind
- Gladiator

But personally I think that list is pretty varied. But even if you ignore everything I've just said and hold that The King's Speech is Oscar Bait; then surely it's Oscar Bait we should applaud - a film that appeals to both the Academy and the majority of the viewing audience.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Kandon Arc said:
Out of interest I went and looked up the list of best picture nominees to see how accurate his 'guide' to Oscar bait was. You know the last time a film set in WWII won best picture was 1996 (The English Patient). Not only that but if you look at the losers since then it makes for some interesting reading:

-Atonement loses to No Country for Old Men
-Letters From Iwo Jima loses to The Departed
-The Pianist loses to Chicago
-and my personal favourite: generally considered one of the greatest WWII films ever, Saving Private Ryan loses to Shakespeare in Love.

Yeah I guess the academy just can't say no to WWII era films can it? In fact since 1970 only 4 WWII era films have won: Patton, The Last Emperor, Schindler's List and The English Patient. How the hell do you extrapolate a WWII bias from that?

Really if you look at the last decade in particular, none of this guide really holds up as the only points that are present in most of them (overcoming things, relationships that fall apart 3/4 of the way through only to reunite for the end) are endemic in movie-making as a whole and to say that they are characteristic of Oscar bait is about as fair as saying that sound or dialogue is Oscar bait.

The Academy does have it's preferences, that's true, but if there was some template for Academy success we would see the same film win year after year. It's up to you whether you think all these films are essentially the same:

- The Hurt Locker
- Slumdog Millionaire
- No Country for Old Men
- The Departed
- Crash
- Million Dollar Baby
- The Return of the King
- Chicago
- A Beautiful Mind
- Gladiator

But personally I think that list is pretty varied. But even if you ignore everything I've just said and hold that The King's Speech is Oscar Bait; then surely it's Oscar Bait we should applaud - a film that appeals to both the Academy and the majority of the viewing audience.
This is exactly what I thought when I was watching. I've seen people ranting about the "Oscar-bait formula" before and it never holds true. I was thinking over all the Best Picture winners I have seen and none of them are like The King's Speech (which I have also seen).

Yes, maybe the Academy prefer some types of films, but not with such bias that they quash creativity. I think a lot of people have seen Forrest Gump and think that's what all the Best Pictures have been like ever.

I also think it was unfair on all the people who worked on the film to suggest that they weren't looking to entertain, inspire, educate or even just make a decent movie.

Folks, regardless of your opinion of what Academy Awards are worth, at least give the argument presented in the video a bit of thought before going "omg, it's all just a sham, I never realized, it will be proven if this film that almost everybody likes wins".

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Dear MovieBob,

I disagree with the core premise of your statement, that The King's Speech was created by formula with the sole purpose of fishing for awards.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
The problem with this review is that you act like its a bad thing. As they say on tvtropes, "Tropes are not bad." Just because it is Oscar Bait material, even purposefully, doesn't mean its not good, not entertaining, and doesn't still make you feel good even if you've seen a thousand British people overcome something in WWII.

wandererbkb

May 15, 2010
The King's Speech was brilliant as far as I'm concerned. This review was probably the most cynical thing i've ever watched. The oscars is a pantomime of course but saying they constructed this film with the sole purpose of winning an oscar stretches credulity somewhat.

Perhaps what you think is oscar bait is actually good movie bait. Who knows, maybe they do make movies from beginning to end with their only goal as picking up best picture in the oscars, but I doubt it. Maybe I just prefer not to think that there is some sort of conspiracy behind everything. There is no way to guarantee you'll win anyway. Even if your movie is really good.

For example I was stunned to discover that The Pianist, which is as close to movie perfection as you are likely to get (in my opinion) lost out to Chicago (yes, the musical) for best picture. Figure that one out of you can.

Anyway I think Black Swan will win, Colin Firth might get Best Actor.