Escape to the Movies: The Kings Speech

Trokil

Feb 4, 2011
Aiddon said:
Trokil said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Trokil said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
(both the Exorcist and Star Wars won and were nominated for multiple Oscars BTW)
The Exorcist won best Sound and the Lost in Translation/Yuno/Good Will hunting Best Script Oscar

And the only guy with some strange conspiracy theories is you. The Oscar bait joke is so old, everybody knows about them and the funniest thing is, that they are still working. Bob did nothing more than repeating it.
Hey, yeah man, what about them aliens in Rosswell? A joke so old, everybody knows about them and the funniest thing is, that they're still being denied! Nothing more than repeating what's commons knowledge.
Oh please just because Bob did not like a generic action movie some people have to troll him for everything he is saying?
Welcome to the net, people hold grudges FOREVER because there is no one able to physically SHUT THEM UP
It was the Expandables a movie nobody cares about in 2 or 3 years. If he would have said something against the Godfather or Once upon a time in the West I would understand that much hate. But the Expandables, please.

Trokil

Feb 4, 2011
Noelveiga said:
Oh, Bob, man, if and when The Social Network gets Best Picture or, Wilder forbid, a clean sweep, you're going to have to make a very awkward mea culpa show.
Do you really think so. The King's Speech is nominated for 12 awards, was it really that much better than everything else or did it just pull the right strings?

DR.reeve

Oct 12, 2010
so if i'm upstanding this right you're saying the Oscars shud be judged diffidently i agry with you there sud be optionatys for other genres to get an Oscar

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
I think it is funny that Bob showed posters for Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan, which both were beat out the same year by a Harvey Weinstein film, Shakespeare In Love. Let's face it, Oscar bait fails to win the award as much as it succeeds. The real trick is how to market and sell your product to the voters. Weinstein does an extremely good job at this (do you know how much controversy the film is getting for thinking about editing the one controversial scene in the movie to get a PG13 rating... it won't happen, but everyone now has the movie in their head, and more people are going to see it because of this).

The safe bet is Kings Speech, the trendy move is Social Network, the controversial choice would be Black Swan, and my Dark Horse pick would be the Fighter (also is considered Oscar Bait).

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
I liked the point Time Magazine made, that this is reminiscent of the 1941 Academy Awards where a film called How Green Was My Valley (never heard of it) lost to an interesting little movie directed by Orson Welles under the name of Citizen "Motherfucking" Kane.

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
Though I liked the format of this episode, and I often agree with Moviebob's opinions on films... I really enjoyed The King's Speech. I think the old ladies behind me who were sniffling away did too. Maybe it's 'cause I'm British? Remembering the death of the Queen mother a few years ago, and how she always said that becoming King killed him? What can I say, I'm a history fan.

I have no qualms with his opinion on the film- different strokes for different folks, and he's a movie reviewer. I didn't like The Social Network, for example. However, I do wish The King's Speech had been properly reviewed. I liked the displaying of Oscar bait characteristics- not that having them is necessarily a bad thing, mind you- but there was no proper explanation into why he didn't like the film. Kind of disappointed by that feature missing.

Buuut I'm just moaning. The episode is still a lot better than a lot of critics, just didn't feel it was his strongest from a reviewing perspective. From an entertainment perspective, it was good.

TheAmerikahn

Aug 24, 2010
I liked the King's Speech ....I think Bob is falling into the "Critics see all movies and so only like original ones because they see so much formula" trap

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
You mean it beat out Citizen Kain... as well as The Matlese Falcon. What a shame, since the musical isn't even that good (and I am a fan of a good musical).

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Sovvolf said:
secretsantaone said:
The Kings Speech was seriously an awesome movie, it managed to be interesting and enjoyable without resorting to action and sex scenes. I think Bob's just annoyed because it wasn't some sci-fi or other 'geek culture' film that would justify his personal tastes.
So, your putting down the guys opinion because it wasn't a geeky film? Have you not watched these film reviews?
That's not what I'm doing at all. Maybe you should look up Ad Hominems yourself.

He states pretty clearly in the review that he's annoyed that Sci-fi/fantasy films often get overlooked in the Oscars, while convieniantly ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Sci-fi/fantasy films appeal to a very specific target audience while character dramas and such appeal to a much larger base.

Sovvolf said:
Also, please look up the word Ad Hominem to find out what was wrong with your last sentence.
Cool patronisation bro.

secretsantaone said:
I also don't get why he thinks 'based on a true story' is something bad in the slightest. This DID actually happen, it's a classic story of the great British underdog, something which seriously underpins British culture and makes for a fantastic film.
Sovvolf said:
Because films based on a true story are often... Only technically based on a true story. Like the film Hurricane is technically based on a true story... Even though most of it was made up or dramatised. They jazz things up to make it feel compelling and dramatic, they slap that on the front because its good for getting you an Oscar.
Except this is literally how it happened.

George Vl DID have a stutter.
He DID totally fuck up speeches.
He DID reluctantly go to an unconventional speech therapist.
He WAS reluctant to become King.
He DID become a national hero during World War ll.
Lionel Logue and George Vl DID become great friends.

Of course bits were dramatised or bits added but otherwise the pace of the film would be all out. As historical dramas go, this is pretty darn accurate.

Bob also seems to miss out the fact that a lot of the 'generic plot patterns' in the film happen in just about every other film in existance. You can find the 'fall-out get back together' plot device in everything from Star Trek to every Romantic Comedy ever.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
You keep implying that Geoffry Rush is British and it's making me uncomfortable.

Otherwise, funny video Bob, nice to have a professional opinion.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Original, non-formulaic movies winning the Oscars?
Oh please. It'll take the academy another 30 years before my generation starts apologizing for all the shit that didn't get any real accolades but deserved it (apart from Pixar, maybe).

The Oscars are pretentious self-glad handing by the insufferably wealthy. They do this to remind themselves that artsy semi-fiction is always worth pursuing over everything else, because hey, that's what they learned in film school.

On the other hand, the biggest names in movies that don't do that aren't exactly setting themselves apart here (Lucas, Cameron and Bay come to mind).

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
2:37... what is this. Bob. Folks. WHAT IS IT. PrototypeC must know!

Anyway, I never thought about The Kings Speech this way. It just wasn't my kind of thing. There's probably some truth to what Bob's saying here, but it's hard to grasp when I just don't give two shakes about the Oscars. Other than that, this was one of Bob's best, entertainment-wise. Maybe I'm just biased because I liked all the blue :D