Escape to the Movies: The Kings Speech

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Wow movie Bob, you make sound as though there is a conspiracy where the makers of The Kings Speech didn't want to inform, entertain or enlighten the audience but instead put ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE/WINNER infront of their names from now till the end of time!

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm torn, seeing as this film came with the highest recommendation from one of my friends whose opinion I usually respect and who is not usually effluent with his praise for Oscar bait.

On the other hand, I finally saw the Social Network and while it was extremely well-acted and had the usual witty Sorkin dialogue, I didn't find it a particularly special film either. I haven't seen half the Best Pic noms, but I'd give it to Inception.

s2dio

May 21, 2008
The 3 star rating... In my opinion the WORST rating any film can get. I've always given the 3 star to films where I've walked out of the theater and immediately forgotten anything about the movie I'd just watched. It wasn't good enough for you to give it any accolades, and it wasn't bad enough to rant about. It was a period of time spent watching actors on a screen do stuff.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Goldeneye1989 said:
Sorry moviebob but there is one better piece of Oscar bait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kj78anyCkM
Quick, someone find that episode of Extras with Kate Winslet. In it she says if you wanna win an Oscar you either play in WWII or play a disabled person. The Reader, anyone?

Anyway, this was one of the funnier reviews Bob did. The hilarious part is that a LOT of stereotypes of the Academy have never been broken. They LOOOOOVE historical British films about "human drama". I'm sure they're okay films, but the Academy's tastes wouldn't be so easy to make fun of if they didn't vote for the same kinds of films. Every. Fucking. Time.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
this is why I don't care about oscars, 99% of the time the winner is a movie I never saw or even HEARD of, and if I DID see it I thought it sucked. This is an award show that would benefit from feedback from the movie going public, but then movies like transformers might win and we'd have the opposite problem.

Peter Pottorff

Feb 12, 2010
Nice video Bob but, I really liked the King's Speech though you're a critic and I'm a high school student.

EscChaos

Feb 14, 2008
Well the movie has been well reviewed by the people who didn't give a big thumbs up to G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra, so I'm still probably going to see it come next weekend.

Sep 17, 2009
The king's speech was a great film. Obvious Oscar Bait and obviously a forum for Colin Firth to win his Oscar, but it was still a smart, clever, and endearing film.

I wasn't bored at all when I expected to be.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Sovvolf said:
One thing to mention... I'm sure to hell Geoffrey Rush is Australian.
From an American perspective there isn't much difference:

Accent? Check!
Delightfully silly slang? Check!
Sheep? Check!
Calls soccer "football?" Check!
Inedible yeast extract put on sandwiches? Check and mate!

Silliness aside, I find George V to be the far more interesting story, but then I find the lead to up WWI to be fascinating. WWII . . . it's never really caught my interest, at least not in Europe (the whole Japanese colonial empire versus the American colonial empire on the other hand is another good story).

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
Moviebob: Making it look easy to be famous.

But it points to something interesting. In maybe 20-30 years time will the people at the Oscar academy be comprised of Scott Pilgrim and overall fantasy kind of people that aren't so afraid of more modern ideas? What then, will they neglect people that make movies about our past history or multidimensional universes where Superman makes a battle royal against 60 other versions of himself?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
so it'll only be another decade or so b4 the generational gap finally catches up!

Grayfayce

Oct 14, 2009
I have to say, that was quite lollarific, and a nice mix-up of the old formula. And yes, I also thought that 'The King's Speech' wasn't great - 'The Social Network' was, as you say, far better.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Being an English person I'm mildly offended you put Colin Firth's head on Captain America's body, and I LOVE America (Even if you are a bit nuts)

You actually sound annoyed that this film is nominated just because your favourite isn't likely to win.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I enjoyed the Kings Speech, but I do agree that it ticks all the check marks for Oscar material. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Who doesn't like WWII? :D

And to be fair to make a movie that Bob likes it doesn't have to be good either just different than the run of the mill, some sort of nod to geekish past times, and best of all not well received by the mainstream audience...

damse

Nov 2, 2009
And yets its funny cause we dont care about the oscurs in UK.
I think Bob should reveiw a new british movies called NEDS :p i think he ratehr enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7Opycx_yY
though might needs subtitles if your not up with your scottish patter