Escape to the Movies: The Last Airbender

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
Signs was the only horror movie I've ever seen (and I thought it was called something else, like Crop Circles), and I saw it when I was like 10 or 9, and even I knew that it made no sense for
aliens who are allergic to water to land on a planet with the most common compound being water?!?!!?!?

I just thought I'd say that seeing as I'm very excited about it being mentioned there.

Anyway, good review as always, I'm pretty sure it's not released yet in the UK, but I doubt I'll go to the cinema to see it.

mikeydangerous

Apr 14, 2009
Riven Armor said:
Well, despite being a fan of the cartoon, I'm glad the movie failed. Any casting director that so blatantly racebends deserves a sunk picture.

Avatar set back the status of Asian American performers a good number of years.
Seconded! When I saw the casting, I gave up on this movie. Sokka and Katara look idiotic as white kids, and making the Fire Nation Indian is just flat out terrible.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Beliyal said:
starwarsgeek said:
For fans of the cartoon:
Aang, Sokka, and Iroh's names are mispronounced, along with the word "Avatar".

Roku is no longer Aang's spirit advisor. He was written out in favor of his pet dragon.

The Kyoshi Warriors, Bato, King Bumi, the northern water tribe's "sexist" (for lack of a better word) culture, and Jeong Jeong are all cut from the movie, so we lose a sizable chunk of Sokka, Katara, and Aang character development:
Sokka never learns from the Kyoshi Warriors that men aren't the only warriors, and his ego isn't beaten into the ground by his future girlfriend (not that he had that ego to begin with)

As for plot, there was no mention of Pai Sho, so we didn't get Iroh's foreshadowing of The Order of the White Lotus, so if there is a second movie, that's gonna come out of nowhere (if it doesn't get cut >_>). Without introducing Jet and Jeong Jeong, we lose the one episode antagonist from the Earth Kingdom and the good guy from the Fire Nation (one could argue Iroh already fills this role, but he doesn't really do anything except be the laid back old man who gets mad when a spirit gets killed...he doesn't betray the Fire Nation to protect it like in the cartoon either...just gets pissed). So the movie loses the expanded world where it shows both sides in the war have good people, and both sides have corrupt people. Also, without Jet, Ba Sing Se will lose the suprisingly emotional subplot of Jet's redemption...and, if there's a sequel, the finale will suffer for this.

Without Bumi, we miss Aang's advice to always look for a third option, which comes into play everytime he meets the nutball...which serves as some foreshadowing about how he wants to handle fighting the FireLord. Without Jeong Jeong, Aang never accidentally injures Katara, and she never stumbles upon her healing abilities. Of course, we all know how big of a role the healing power plays in Book 2.

What "filler" (a word that doesn't ~really~ apply to Avatar, since the episodes that didn't further the story usually had some new detail come in, or some character development) did make it in was rushed and lost all point. Shyamalan covers "The Warriors of Kyoshi," "Imprisoned," "The Waterbending Scroll," and Aang's portion of "The Storm" inside of five minutes. The Northern Air Temple is only included just to be there...it's really "The Blue Spirit," with nigh a Mechanist in sight. So, we lose out on the "they were planning it all along" when they hint at using his technology to build war airships and it doesn't come into play until halfway through the last season.

As far what did make it in...it lost all meaning and was repeatedly crammed down the audiences' throats. Zhou has to mention "The Great Library" a dozen times...instead the one, forgetable line from the series that the fans would probably forget about until the library comes up in the second season. Ozai is shown suddenly and randomly, without two seasons of buildup before we see his face. Shyamalan thought he'd throw "Chi" in, although it was never mentioned in the show.

The characterization is completely off:
Katara seems more like an underplayed version of the "Ember Island Players" version
Sokka has an actual serious personality...he never cracks a joke and is rarely the victim of one.
Aang...is completely emotionless, instead of the happy adventurer from the show.
Iroh is only remotely like himself when they are in a small village and he mentions to Zuko "there are a lot of pretty girls here".
Zuko's personality, like Katara, is just a toned down version of his in-universe parody.
Zhou...isn't even recognizable. He reminded of the type of wimpy kid that hangs out with the bully in an elementary school show/movie/book....except he somehow commands an entire navy.
Ozai is your typical angry king...nothing menacing or powerful about him. He's just...angry.
Azula...can't really tell how the personality works, since she had one line...but she looks younger than Aang.
Appa didn't do anything notable...he was just there in the background. Along with Momo (who I don't think was even named...)

The humor was almost non-existant (Sokka gets accidentally frozen once, and a guard is chasing down a small child that replaces Haru...the guard claiming "The child was earthbending pebbles at us from behind a tree. ...it hurt :(" )

The backstory makes no sense once Shyamalan messes with it...most firebenders can only bend existing fire, except when Sozin's comet gives them the ability to "Ignite their chi". So...how have these guys survived the century of picking a fight with the entire planet? They also stuck the earthbenders in a random quary...on the dirt...by a rock cliff...without a single firebender who can create his own flame. Why did these guys need the gaang to rescue them?

The children actors feel flat...especially Katara, who looks, feels, and sounds like she's reading off a teleprompter. While the older actors aren't ~bad~, the writting for the characters are inconsistent with the cartoon versions. Forget what moviebob said...pass this up.
That is ... quite disappointing :/ I really am a fan of the cartoon and I was expecting this movie eagerly, despite all that controversy about the casting, but this is disappointing. Dunno, I will see the movie eventually when it comes to my country, but only because we have cheap tickets. I've heard different reviews by now, so I'll try to watch it without being biased, but if all this what you wrote is completely true, I'll be a really really sad panda.
No mispronunciation. That's the "Asian" way of pronouncing it, and M S thought he should keep it that way. But aside from that, yeah, pretty much everything else is correct.

I'll be interesting to see how they handle the sequels either way.

And am I the only one who's happy that M made the world a REAL world that is being conquered by a tyrant nation, who's enslaving and oppressing every person they're taking prisoner? In the cartoon, everyone always acted fine. Very cheery and what not. And yes, they did take out the horribly lame childish jokes and I'm glad they did. They had some funny jokes, don't get me wrong. But most of the time, they were doing very childish antics, and the jokes were VERY childish.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Ugh, I gave it a shot and it slapped me across the face. I'm sorry, but the dialog and the actors are just so PAINFULLY awkward and quite frankly awful that I couldn't even enjoy the action sequences. The only good thing I can say about this movie is the costumes were top notch. But other than that...jesus it was just SO bad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and they don't even pronounce Aang's, Sokka's or Iroh's name right in the movie. Just, wow, really? So much of the movie feels like it was just meant to alienate the fans on purpose.

JonnieWest

Jul 2, 2010
Skeleton Jelly said:

And am I the only one who's happy that M made the world a REAL world that is being conquered by a tyrant nation, who's enslaving and oppressing every person they're taking prisoner? In the cartoon, everyone always acted fine. Very cheery and what not. And yes, they did take out the horribly lame childish jokes and I'm glad they did. They had some funny jokes, don't get me wrong. But most of the time, they were doing very childish antics, and the jokes were VERY childish.
I think one of the problems is that the movie is rated PG, but isn't directly targeting children. It's a dark movie with dark themes and centered around a war against an oppressive tyrant. And when they do try to have some of that childish humor in the movie, it comes off as sort of out of place (like when Katara tries attacking the guards and freezes her brother, not really funny).

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Bob, no matter the shortcomings of this movie, real though they are, I've got to think you and a lot of other reviewers are just about on your knees in thanksgiving for ANYTHING to get the rancid taste of "Twilight" off your sensory apparatus.

That too shall pass.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Abedeus said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Felis Leo said:
I would go so far as to say that it is the best American cartoon series since Batman: The Animated Series.
No offense to Batman, but IMO that should read the best American cartoon series since Samurai Jack. :)
If Samurai Jack was before Batman, I agree. SJ, while unfinished, was like... epic and stuff. Although he never caught Aku...

Still, I've got to catch up on Airbender as I have yet to see a single episode (yay, no cartoons like that in Poland till they started running Tsunami, by then I felt too old for cartoons).
Dude, regarding "Samurai Jack" and "Avatar: the last airbender", you are never too old, i was 21 when i first got into Avatar :p and Samurai Jack is positively arthouse compared to the shit on tv these days. You should definately check airbender out, its more anime than traditional "american" cartoon, and in my opinion it was that same eastern influence that made Batman so dark and brilliant (not saying airbender is dark, cause it isnt, but it is brilliant)

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Nomanslander said:
You know, considering the reactions of the fans, all I have to say is this.

Now you millennials understand why us X-gens were so butt hurt over the SW prequels...=P
amen to that brother.... damn you LuuuuuuUUUUUUCAAAAAAAAS!!!!! *shakes fist to sky*

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
skibadaa said:
Dude, regarding "Samurai Jack" and "Avatar: the last airbender", you are never too old, i was 21 when i first got into Avatar :p and Samurai Jack is positively arthouse compared to the shit on tv these days. You should definately check airbender out, its more anime than traditional "american" cartoon, and in my opinion it was that same eastern influence that made Batman so dark and brilliant (not saying airbender is dark, cause it isnt, but it is brilliant)
Hell, first time I saw Avatar the cartoon series was a couple months ago and I'm almost 30, and I think it's pretty outstanding.

Although the funny part is I made a comment to the friend who introduced me to the show that it looks like American anime, and he got all pissy about it. Since he's not a big fan of anime he demanded I take that back, and the thing is I've been watching anime since the 80s way way before the Pokemon boom, and I know what anime looks and sounds like...=)

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
JonnieWest said:
Skeleton Jelly said:

I think one of the problems is that the movie is rated PG, but isn't directly targeting children. It's a dark movie with dark themes and centered around a war against an oppressive tyrant. And when they do try to have some of that childish humor in the movie, it comes off as sort of out of place (like when Katara tries attacking the guards and freezes her brother, not really funny).
I didn't think it was all that funny either (I gave out a minor chuckle, but the rest of the packed movie theater was in an uproar). But that was certainly humor much, muuuuch greater to what was in the show. Aside from the actual good jokes in the show. And the humor perfectly fit the situation. It was humorous, but not too childish, and not too mature.

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
This will be the 4th movie where i saw the movie before seeing Moviebob's review of it, and again i have to agree with him on every level. I personally never saw the Avatar series on Nickelodeon seeing as i am too old to properly enjoy the characters. By that i mean i am not part of the era of pre-teen popculture no more nor have i been for many years. Therefore i did not actively seek to watch the Avatar. However with that said, I have always appreciated the technical directing that M.N.S. exhibits in this movie. My ultimate opinion would be that the kids will enjoy it, and grownups like us will be bitching about the details (like i am now).

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
WilliamRLBaker said:
Good thing he got it all wrong, not only did he make idiotic changes to the source material he had scenes that made no sense.
oh and what happened with 2 and a half hours? why was the movie a paltry 1 hour and 43 minutes? he could have added so much more with that extra 40 minutes or so.

He obviously didn't care otherwise the actors would have been better, the acting better, the martial arts better, and the bending actually frequent instead of being few and far between.
What changes are you talking about?
besides fire bending, and the lack of humor (which is a big complaint I have) He was pretty much spot on.
The actors were good (besides sokka and kitara) and the martial arts and bending were excellent.
im not trying to dog you or start an argument about this but it feels like we went into two different movies.

I can really understand why people hate this, Im actually suprised I dont hate it myself, but I just dont get how you can think M. Night would spend countless hours with a project he didnt care about.

mordrean

Nov 29, 2008
movie sucked ... m night wht ever sucks ... maby the poeple who watched the show will figure out why it sucks ... when you say "his vision" be better just to go watch the damn show

Riven Armor

Mar 1, 2010
mikeydangerous said:
Riven Armor said:
Well, despite being a fan of the cartoon, I'm glad the movie failed. Any casting director that so blatantly racebends deserves a sunk picture.

Avatar set back the status of Asian American performers a good number of years.
Seconded! When I saw the casting, I gave up on this movie. Sokka and Katara look idiotic as white kids, and making the Fire Nation Indian is just flat out terrible.
Yeah, it's so interesting how the only 3 characters in the Water Tribe village with names and speaking parts are white...and the rest are Inuit.

Villains are brown, good guys are washed.

I'm a conservative and I don't usually pull race, but Hollywood invited it this time.

Riven Armor

Mar 1, 2010
Jorias said:
This will be the 4th movie where i saw the movie before seeing Moviebob's review of it, and again i have to agree with him on every level. I personally never saw the Avatar series on Nickelodeon seeing as i am too old to properly enjoy the characters. By that i mean i am not part of the era of pre-teen popculture no more nor have i been for many years. Therefore i did not actively seek to watch the Avatar. However with that said, I have always appreciated the technical directing that M.N.S. exhibits in this movie. My ultimate opinion would be that the kids will enjoy it, and grownups like us will be bitching about the details (like i am now).
The cartoon is actually a very good series on its own merits, even outside of its age group. Try it out sometime if you haven't given it a chance.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am a fan of this tv show and will see the movie, but ever I;ve gone all the fans have complained about one thing after another. One thing I heard was that they cut out the Kyoshi Warriors all together which does piss me off if they did, but way I see it, I know what it's missing from other reviews but I'm going to go see it anyways.

You made the best point all day though, this is obviously a franchise, and they had to condense a whole season into one movie, so there's a chance that things will get better as the progress.

I've seen Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable, haven't seen the others because my dad didn't like SIgns at all once I heard of the whole plant twist in The Happening I lost interest in seeing it. But one of the best things that came out of Shayamalan is this:

[http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs28/f/2008/172/5/5/What_A_Twist_by_takeru_san.jpg]

This lovely comic by http://takeru-san.deviantart.com/ on deviantart

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
The characters do take a while to flesh out, and the story does strangle the plot a bit, but when you're watching it just to enjoy it and not to give a review I don't think that will be too much of a concern.

Most of my concern was focused on the characters. Most of 'child' characters just seemed off whenever they spoke, either lacking emotion or not being fluid with their words/sentences (stiff)... sometimes it just seemed like they were trying too hard.
This bothered me for the first half of the movie, by the middle it started to change for some of the characters and by the end most of the young actors seemed to have become more comfortable and 'one' with their characters.

They all have a lot of potential and I do think that making it a franchise would not only be wonderful, but would give the characters and actors more time to 'get in the groove'.

Since the movie was a darn good adaption of the first book of the series, I certainly do hope Shyamalan will continue with the series.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Jorias said:
Actually, my two adult friends really enjoyed the series themselves, it's a cartoon show but if you enjoy campiness at times, it's a good series even for adults. It had so much development and character compared with some cartoons.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
baseline: I enjoyed watching the Transformer Movies, didn't think they were good movies but at least fun to watch. I appreciate Great movies and popcorn flicks a like. And i can separate the two :p

Saw the Movie and heres my review:

Upside: This movie is a complete (i mean totally complete) synopsis of Season 1. Probably the most faithful translation of any original source material i've yet come across.

Downside: A piece of you will die every time they say each others names (as i had.)

Bad Guys steal the show completely. Good guys are too serious

B+ to A- compared to the Show

C as a stand alone movie