Escape to the Movies: The Last Airbender

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Looks like a good popcorn flick eaither way. Just a nice chance to go to the movies.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
deth2munkies said:
Eh...condensing what appears to me to be a Dragonball Z meets Inuyasha anime series into a single movie is a bad idea to begin with. Also, given what you said about the exposition, it probably follows the series too closely for its own good, with characters often breaking into unwarranted exposition mid-fight scene (ok, so that's a problem for ALL Anime). I'm really not inclined to even give this one a chance as I'd be going to see inventive special effects and combat sequences that are already present in other, better movies (see the other Avatar from last year*).

*Which falls into the same category: shitty narrative + awesome special effects, yet it looks and was rated so much better than this one, I'm not inclined to bother.
Dragonball Z meets Inuyasha, what the hell are you talking about? Only the drawing style and some animation techniques are 'anime' everything else is homegrown apple pie.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Thank you Bob for being more forgiving then most of the people on this site and much more forgiving then you usually are.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
well what do you know both suprisingly and unso, I was right and wrong respectively about Bob's review. He saw the flaws that everyone else saw and critiqued accordingly but to my pleasent suprise he in the end came away recommending it. And Not suprisingly it faired far better that Eclipse

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
[
meganmeave said:
That's too bad. The trailers looked so awesome, I kind of wanted this to be good.

Though, I think Shyamalan's career tanked with Signs tbh. I mean,

What kind of idiotic alien race that just so happens to have a deadly allergy to water lands on a planet that not only is more than 60% water, but the shit falls from the sky!!
Alright, this is something I just can't stand about how people look at M Night's films: THE ENTIRE MOVIE IS NOT THIS 5 SECOND ENDING BIT! The core of the movie, a tense thriller of a family clinging to bits of information during an invasion beyond their league worked.

Oh, and it's pretty much the 'War of the Worlds' ending...so, basically a classic Sci-Fi reference, not some "oh bad storytelling" problem.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Thank you Bob for being more forgiving then most of the people on this site and much more forgiving then you usually are.
Yea no kidding... I was going to go see it anyways, even though everyone said it was terrible, but now this at least gives me a glimmer of hope that it will at least keep me 'entertained' till the next one comes out (which better blow the original away...)

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
MovieBob said:
The Last Airbender

This week MovieBob reviews M. Night Shyamalan's vision of the popular Nickelodeon franchise, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Also don't miss MovieBob's review of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1839-The-Twilight-Saga-Eclipse] from earlier in the week.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7779-The-Problem-With-Twilight].

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Escape-to-the-Movies/374853431247].

Watch Video
THANK YOU BOB!
your the only critic who sees this for what it is, A movie crushed by its own ambition.

A lot of assholes are saying that M. Night must not care about the movie, thats why he skipped over a lot.

But I think that he cared too much for the original source material and thats why he tried to compress an entire season.

In my opinion he should have taken the premise and the characters and made his own telling of it. I would have worked out a lot better.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Being a fan of the series, I died a little inside when watching this movie. Had he just stuck with the character personalities as they were (sakka never does anything funny, aang is emo), kept the names the same, and had more conversational dialog then explanation (which all the dialog could fit on two pages of paper) the movie could have been great, he did an amazing job with the filming of it, just a terrible job with the script and characters. (and the water tribes is the darkest skin color of the nations, why the hell were they white? eskimos arnt white).

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Wow MovieBob was really posotive towards it. All the other critics I've seen have absolutley ripped it to shreds.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Blue-State said:
I thought culture was implied.
there is a difference between an entire nation being of one race, and of one culture.
Culture is not 100% linked to a race, the movie didn't need to have xenophobed inuits as the southern water tribe except 3 people, the northern water tribe didn't need to all be whites, the fire nation didn't need to be all indians, and the earth tribe didn't didn't need to be all be asians, he could have easily mixed em whites, blacks, asians...ect and got a much better racial ambiguity that the animated show entailed.

Just because based upon cultures were there in the animated show does not mean every one was of one or another race in it.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
IanBrazen said:
MovieBob said:
The Last Airbender

This week MovieBob reviews M. Night Shyamalan's vision of the popular Nickelodeon franchise, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Also don't miss MovieBob's review of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1839-The-Twilight-Saga-Eclipse] from earlier in the week.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7779-The-Problem-With-Twilight].

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Escape-to-the-Movies/374853431247].

Watch Video
THANK YOU BOB!
your the only critic who sees this for what it is, A movie crushed by its own ambition.

A lot of assholes are saying that M. Night must not care about the movie, thats why he skipped over a lot.

But I think that he cared too much for the original source material and thats why he tried to compress an entire season.

In my opinion he should have taken the premise and the characters and made his own telling of it. I would have worked out a lot better.
Good thing he got it all wrong, not only did he make idiotic changes to the source material he had scenes that made no sense.
oh and what happened with 2 and a half hours? why was the movie a paltry 1 hour and 43 minutes? he could have added so much more with that extra 40 minutes or so.

He obviously didn't care otherwise the actors would have been better, the acting better, the martial arts better, and the bending actually frequent instead of being few and far between.

Higgen

Jun 25, 2010
If this was youtube, I'd put a large thumbs up next to LordVyreth's post. Seriously, read it. Moviebob has zero credibility as a movie reviewer with me, but I do enjoy his rants. This review boiled down into: "ANGRY AT ECLIPSE. SEE ANYTHING ELSE." Part of me feels that he'd give Catwoman a mediocre review if it had come out in place of Avatar, just because it's something other than Twilight.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Dammit.... I really hoped the best from this movie and really had faith is M. Knight. Ugh, anyway, still going to watch this movie. Looks like the best one in the cinemas right now. Thanks for the review and forewarning me for not expecting awesome everything from this movie. The animated series was definitely worth watching.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
IanBrazen said:
MovieBob said:
The Last Airbender

Watch Video
THANK YOU BOB!

Yeah, it is kind tragic.

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
wow i thought Bob would have destroyed this in his review, but i guess i should have expected the sympathy, because I wanted this movie to be considered good too, especially after paying $12 to see it at midnight.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I liked The village as much as 6th sense and Unbreakable and more than signs.
I thought Lady sucked (the only thing worth watching is Story) and haven't watched the Happening for how much i've heard it sucks

The young man from slumdog millionare!?

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I thought it was an absolute trainwreck. Like Bob said, it only got good near the very end. The rest was horrible. The acting was stiff, the dialogue was just terrible. I almost wanted to walk out on it.

Felis Leo

Apr 30, 2008
misterprickly said:
I think Bob put the hammer to this film too quickly!

You see... Unlike Transformers, Hulk, DRAGONBALL and other such movies; this one pays homage to its origins by trying to keep as close to the cartoon as possible.

YES... the plot is rammed down your throat BUT that was done for the benefit of those who have never heard of the cartoon i.e. THE PARENTS!!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way... They can easily move into a sequel that will have plenty of character development; so what's the problem?

I say that this is a great triumph for M. Night Shyamalan and I look forward to the next chapter.
I'm sorry but that makes little sense in the way of a defense. The characterization, acting and plot structure in this film was terrible, but you say that it is alright because it is possible save character development and good plot structure for the sequel?

No. A film has to stand on its own merits, and cannot be given credit for the next movie in the series that could possibly be better. The fantasy-hungry public didn't stand for it in Eragon or The Golden Compass. They do not have stand for it now.