Escape to the Movies: The Maze Runner - Where's a Minotaur When You Need One?

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
Grabehn said:
It lookd mediocre until I heard "cliffhanger ending" FUCK THAT! A while ago I watched the Golden Compass on TV and it was fine (so it before, but somehow being in Spanish made it a bit better than in English) and It was watchable until the "Oh yeah, there's no ending cuz franchise" which obviously didn't happen, and all my GF said was "OH FUCK THIS MOVIE" and that was about it.

I get that these studios gamble on the "let's hope teens watch this shit cuz *other franchise* made it" but at least give your shit movie a proper ending if you don't actually know if you're gonna make it to the second one, that at least gives it a chance to be a good experience on its own... Fuck The Golden Compass.
The bizarr-o thing about Golden Compass is if you've read the books, you know they actually cheated themselves out of a proper cliffhanger, and possibly one that could have given them the franchise they wanted. The end of the book is an actual gut-punch that you do see coming, but only from a very short distance--enough time to get your dread going. And belieeeeeve me, it would have caused some critical buzz and might have gotten butts in the seats. But instead they cut that off and went with a generic mindless semi-happy unresolved pap ending. WTF. I have never figured this one out. Was it focus-groups, like I Am Legend? Was it a studio exec who hated the product that they were putting out, like Brimstone?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
...Wait, MovieBob never heard of Harry Potter before the movies?! How is that possible?!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
elvor0 said:
Grabehn said:
Your milage may vary but the books of that film are actually quite good (Northern Lights (Golden Compas in the US), Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass). I did read them when I was about 14, so I may be remembering them to be better than they actually were, but I like to think I had decent taste at that age. Plus they came out before YA Science Fiction became this huge thing that every hack wants in on.

Golden Compass is a pretty faithful adaptation of the books, the anti religious elements are less at the forefront, presumebly to tide over American audiences, and it ends before the book actually ends. Don't know why they didn't carry on with the films.
Well, like most other "move-franchise" wannabes, failing to make a huge buck out of the movie was probably why they didn't keep the movies going, just like with Narnia, where it was dropped, bought and dropped again.

And you know what? I normally don't read stuff like this, but the movie's "everything" was fine until that dreadful cliffhanger, but you make them sound kinda good, so I might even pick up these ones after your comment.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
nondescript said:
I prefer to judge them on a single merit: Did I have fun watching it, or did I wish I was doing something else?

I don't care if he has a prejudice against them, but as a reviewer, I would think MB would strive for something close to objective. Otherwise, why have him tell you his version of the movie?
A review of a work of art is by it's nature subjective, asking a reviewer to be objective in expressing their opinion is contradictory.

A better aproach would be to look for critics and reviewers with similar opinions to yours; or just read reviews from other sites and critics to see how the movie performed

Aristatide said:
I did adore the dig on Teen Wolf, though. Via proxy, I've learned far too much about that show and more important the pretentiousness of the cast; did you know they think they have "more heart" than Buffy? I might even have been this particular dude who said that. I can't tell them apart.
The existance of the show baffles me, I still can't believe MTV is airing an angsty supernatural drama based on a comedy by Michael J. Fox.

JonSherwell

Mar 21, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Hasn't Bob said in the past that he hates numerical scores? This new format seems odd for him.

Also:
0:00 to 1:03- Footage from the movie
1:03 to 3:56- Actual Review
3:56 to 4:20- More footage
4:20 to 4:48- Credits, a couple jokes

I know Bob has been padding his reviews for a while, but sticking in 1 1/2 minutes of filler in a video less than 5 minutes long is insane.
I do think that this was due to the sameness of this movie in comparison to Divergent, Hunger Games, etc. I can understand why Bob would stray from trudging the whole thing over and over again. Maybe he shouldn't have even reviewed this movie, just because we all know by now what he'll say, and what the movie is. There had to be SOMETHING else out.

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
Two-A said:
nondescript said:
I prefer to judge them on a single merit: Did I have fun watching it, or did I wish I was doing something else?

I don't care if he has a prejudice against them, but as a reviewer, I would think MB would strive for something close to objective. Otherwise, why have him tell you his version of the movie?
A review of a work of art is by it's nature subjective, asking a reviewer to be objective in expressing their opinion is contradictory.

A better aproach would be to look for critics and reviewers with similar opinions to yours; or just read reviews from other sites and critics to see how the movie performed.
You say that like I should have lots of time to dedicate to seeking out such critics. I'll just be my own.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Not that bad actually, it was a pretty cool ride and the world leaves you with so many questions. About the ending, I don't think it is actually that bad either, as we never really find out why the maze was created and for what purpose. The reason given to the characters was a deception, so there really wasn't an explanation given at the end. I think Maze Runner did a good job, and had a greater story and less cliché universe than the Hunger Games. The only real weakness of the movie are the characters which are super bland and 1 dimensional. I'd recommend people giving it a look when it goes to retail.