Escape to the Movies: The Phantom Menace 13 Years Later

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
As someone who is not a very big Star Wars fan and has just seen the movies and thought they ranged between okay to bad, I was happy to hear this.

Star Wars fans more often than not (I'm speaking generally and from personal experience, not trying to directly attack anyone here) the worst kind of nerds. Anytime I see someone go into a large rant about how the Star Wars prequels ruined the franchise or even going as far as to say how they think George Lucas needs to die just because Greedo shot first, it makes me ASHAMED to know that as a nerd, I'm automatically lumped with this person through societies eyes.

I don't want to be associated with people with such flimsy coping skills and such negative obsessive behaviors, which really seems to be the majority of Star Wars fans*

I agree with you, Phantom Menace is not a good movie (though it's actually my favorite of the prequel trilogy because of Liam Neeson, the pod race was kinda cool and Darth Maul was indeed fun)

What I liked the most about this movie though Bob, and what I respect is that you probably made this movie knowing a large chunk of these comments were gonna be people eating you alive (and just by briefly glancing at some of the comments on this last page I see I was right) and you did it anyway.

Because it needed to be said.

I'm sure you're not reading this, but I want you know that some people respect what you had to say. I'm probably not gonna go give this film a shot because movie tickets are expensive and like I said, not a big star wars fan anyway, but the message was nice.

So yeah, thanks for this video. Even if it did get a few peoples panties in a bunch.

*Since this is the internet, I'm actually assuming that's not the majority. It's just that the minority are REALLY loud about it...

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
This is always the issue with films. As soon as you peel back the protective plastic cover, you start to judge it to death. I like to watch the movie, decide if I like it or not. And based on that experience I'll decide wether or not I'll watch the movie again. But if you get into the guts, you'll probably never will. Remember ignorance can be bliss in some situations.

I do hate Jar Jar with a passion though.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Uhh...yeah. We accept that. Hell, the ending duel alone makes half the crap worth watching. That doesn't change the fact that there were some history-changing facets of the movie. Fucking midichlorians? You kidding me? You shift the idea of some kind of lottery-born genetics for awesome to one of "you should eat more fiber to get more midichlorians!" changes the concept that Luke was this celestial divinity, someone born with more power than ever had been before to one of how he was just one of many, but they haven't been breeding much lately, so, uh...yeah, he's rare.

But it wasn't that bad. Not really. With concepts like the Old Republic floating around, where we understand that the Force was being spread too thinly, and that the restrictions in place work to make what little is left more valuable, fine. Midichlorians as regulators, I can cope with that. Whatever. But, with nothing as memorable as the defeat of the first Death Star, or those "find yourself or die" moments of the original trilogy, and an overextended transparent structure that has to feed and establish the story we already know but miserably fails at doing so, the prequel trilogy cannot stand on it's own, let alone the individual movies. It's as if they took something that should have been a couple of chapters at best, and drew it out into three full novels. Without the context of IV, V, and VI, then I, II, and III have no weight, no gravity, and no purpose. Conversely, each of the other three movies can stand alone, or together. Yes, they're better as part of the trilogy, but even alone they have their own merit.

Not one of the first three movies can hoist that claim.

Jun 5, 2010
I laughed out loud when you said "better than batman and robin" that's setting the bar pretty low. I have had bowel movements more entertaining than that movie.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
I don?t know? While I can certainly see Bob?s point about fan rage getting irritating, I can?t let Lucas and company off the hook for what they?ve done to their most loyal fans. It actually seems to have turned into a very unhealthy codependent relationship and both sides seem to be to blame.

Lucas Arts and company keeps on churning out crappy merchandise and the poor dumb Star Wars junkies can?t help but shovel out fistfuls of their money for it. I mean, who the hell would even consider wanting to see such a mediocre movie as the Phantom Menace in theaters again? Why the hell would anyone even consider re-releasing it if they didn?t think they could make money off of it?

While I?ve walked away from Star Wars long ago, my main concern is that its noxious odor and front and its center presence in the Sci-Fi genre (along with Star Trek) will end up suffocating any chance of a newer better series out their.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
I personally liked the part where he put another plug in for the Avengers at the end of a 6 minute video essentially talking about something), it s.
very well thought out post, if only that's what he meant

i am certain that he meant it literally though with no irony of any sort being implied which is what bugged me

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
I've never actually seen it. I gave it a go a while back and it just veered between dull and unwatchable. So I turned it off.

Jun 5, 2010
xSKULLY said:
i watched the phantom menace before the 4,5 and 6 and thought it was better than all of them (and the over 2 star wars films) i mean it had space ship races and duel light sabers! whith cool epic battles in space and on land and im not going to let one scene about mediclorians ruin it for my eight year old mind because it doesnt fit the shit that is star wars cannon. it was much better than ewok puppets fighting toy machines for pretty bad reasons (i never saw what was wrong with the empire) or some kid winging over his dad and that weird cousin loving romance thing.
come to think of it the star wars films are all pretty mediocre (except 2/3 they were shit) but the phantom menace was the best mediocre film in that mediocre series because it had the same flaws as all star wars films (cripplingly bad writing) but it was by far the most entertaining
(crouches in bunker and prepares for flame war)
That panic bunker better be fucking prepared to last a nuclear winter because if somebody told me that in real life I would literally punched them in the face. The script in the big three (A new hope, empire, and jedi) where the best part about those films and the acting is stellar. Also, NEVER SAW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE EMPIRE!!??? THEY COMMITTED MASS GENOCIDE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES DO THEY NEED A SIGN AROUND THE'RE NECKS THAT SAYS "Were the bad guys" FOR YOU TO NOTICE THAT!

nothing in the phantom menace made sense. All of the characters were as emotionless as the blue screen sets around them. There was no Protagonist.

also, why is one of the leading arguments for the prequels is the fight scenes are good? I hated every scene with a lightsaber in all three prequel films with a seething rage. They were cold calculated and overly flashy its like you're dangling your keys in a baby's face. My least favourite one of them is clones because they just fucking jam shit into the scenes to keep our mindless asses in the cinema for 40 minutes.

Cacodemon

Mar 4, 2011
I click the video and what do I get? An advertisement for Star Wars The Old Republic, one of the many attempts for George Lucas to siphon off money from his fanbase. Then I get an idiot who rambles on about how Episode 1 wasn't that bad and says it's as good as Tim Burton's Batman. He then tells me to see it with a fresh site of eyes which surprise I can see it tomorrow in 3D (great timing Movieblob)! And to top if off then he plugs Bioware's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic who happens to have an MMORPG called Star Wars The Old Republic.

How much money did Lucasarts pay this awful site to promote their garbage? I haven't seen such shady journalism in quite a while.

Jun 5, 2010
Cacodemon said:
I click the video and what do I get? An advertisement for Star Wars The Old Republic, one of the many attempts for George Lucas to siphon off money from his fanbase. Then I get an idiot who rambles on about how Episode 1 wasn't that bad and says it's as good as Tim Burton's Batman. He then tells me to see it with a fresh site of eyes which surprise I can see it tomorrow in 3D (great timing Movieblob)! And to top if off then he plugs Bioware's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic who happens to have an MMORPG called Star Wars The Old Republic.

How much money did Lucasarts pay this awful site to promote their garbage? I haven't seen such shady journalism in quite a while.
Haha i get it bob's a sell out and everything funny

LOL YUP DEFINITELY PROMOTING A MOVIE HE SAID WAS MEDIOCRE AND COMPARED TO BATMAN AND ROBIN. AND YOU KNOW BECUASE KOTOR AND TOR ARE SUCH BAD GAMES AND EVERYTHING.

Darkstrike_11

Apr 15, 2009
Summary of this video: "God guys stop being such whingy fanboys, we shouldnt get our expectations up for a movie representative of our childhood"

*Then completely contradicts himself by including that bit about the avengers showing he's just doing the same*

Part of me really wants the avengers to suck just to see Bob's reaction after he has been (to use Yahtzee's words) "tossing himself off with glee in expectation" for about 2 years...

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
richard misiak said:
I never thought the film was that bad, and i maintain hat the lightsaber duel at the end is the finest one from the entire saga
to this i agree. the brief fight between Obi-wan and maul just after qQ

btw, has it really been 13 years? holy s*** that means i was only 6. and that means I've been a fan of star wars since i was 5 freaking years old. thank god i grey up with the prequels so i don't hate them so much. no nostalgia seeing that i grew up with them side by side.

WolfenD

May 9, 2010
Stand back people I'm about to blow your mind: Star wars Episode 4,5 and 6 all suck. The characters are bad, effects bad, ending bad and most of all story bad. At least 1,2 and 3 it had a feel of something much more epic. It had back stabs and plot twists. Because in 1,2 and 3 it was the light side vs dark side. Two massive armies fighting to the death with the main villain slowly gaining control of the heroes army. It was man vs machine. It was a whole jedi order vs the sith. While in 4,5 and 6 it was a group of young adults taking down an entire government. Yeah fuck that. The characters are: a farm boy whose trained as a jedi for a month who is able to take down Lord Vader a man who has trained his entire life as a jedi and who for the last couple of years have being hunting jedis down. A princess who hasn't had any military training able to take on trained storm troopers. So how does that work.

Also how is it that people find Jar Jar Binks more annoying than Chewie. At least Jar Jar spoke English while Chewie just growls while everyone is agreeing with him. That's like trying to have a conversation with your dog. They can understand you but you can't understand them.

If episodes 4,5 and 6 were about Starkiller from the force unleashed then that would have being a good trio of films.

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
The Phantom Menace may not be as bad or cringeworthy as Attack of the Clones, but it was still a bad film on its own. As a Star Wars film, it was absolutely horrible. Probably the most boring Star Wars film I have ever seen. I may have been four years old when my father brought me to go see it, I couldn't pay attention to the story and its characters because they were so uninteresting. The only part of the movie that got me was the lightsaber duel at the end, but even that has lost it's effect on making me pumped years later.

I believe The Phantom Menace was my first Star Wars movie, whilst I saw the original trilogy on television a couple of days after the film's release date. The OT managed to catch my attention and draw me in. It was fun to watch and the characters were definitely more interesting than the prequels'. The lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader in The Empire Strikes Back will forever be my favourite scene and duel in the entire Star Wars saga because it was so memorable.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
Or maybe its the entire prequels that pissed me off. Maybe it was the Lucas approved New Jedi Order books that compounded my rage. Maybe it was the constant editing of the original movies. Maybe it was sanctioned killing off of major characters that I loved in the official books and media. Or maybe it was Lucas' interviews where he treated his fans like idiots. Maybe it was a lot of factors that all influenced us in different ways to result in our hatred of Lucas and his Star Wars garbage. Just maybe it wasn't just The Phantom Menace, like you seem to think it is.

It wasn't just that first prequel. It was all of the above.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Darkstrike_11 said:
Summary of this video: "God guys stop being such whingy fanboys, we shouldnt get our expectations up for a movie representative of our childhood"

*Then completely contradicts himself by including that bit about the avengers showing he's just doing the same*

Part of me really wants the avengers to suck just to see Bob's reaction after he has been (to use Yahtzee's words) "tossing himself off with glee in expectation" for about 2 years...
The thing is, he isn't really telling us not to get hyped for movies we want to see, only that going into a DECADE-long rage rant simply because the movie wasn't as good as you expected is anything but healthy. The movie was bad, but not nearly as horrendous as people make it out to be. You can rage about it for a while, but keeping it up for this long is just sad.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
MovieBob said:
The Phantom Menace 13 Years Later

The Phantom Menace isn't nearly as bad as you think it is.

Watch Video
I agree nearly 100%. (I do like the second one better.)

I've been arguing this point since the beginning. People who say this movie is one of the worst movies ever have obviously not seen a lot of movies. ... or they are lying because they think it makes them part of the cool crowd. People who think George Lucas is raping their childhood have a diagnosable mental illness and should be medicated. ... or they are lying because they think it makes them part of the cool crowd and / or think Trey Parker and Matt Stone should be worshiped as pop culture gurus.