Escape to the Movies: The Road

aeros320

Dec 25, 2008
DaxStrife said:
Damn, I love post-apocalypse cinema and thought this looked decent from the trailer. Vigo's casting should have tipped me off (seriously, has he done anything good since "Lord of the Rings?"). Didn't know it was based off a book, so I might go check that out at least.
Ok, friend. Let me give you a little hint as to what he's done since you seem to be pretty damn stupid. The History of Violence. Eastern Promises. OH look! Two fantastic movies. He was WAYYYYY better in both of these movies than his melodramatic Aragorn was in any of the Lord of the Rings movies. He's a great actor.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
That's fine and all, we disagree again. I see "2012" and all its "stuff going on" and am bored, I see "The Road" with far less, and I enjoy it. People interest me, their emotions, their relationships, as the clip from Adaptation, in part, stated that if you see nothing in life, you're not paying attention. Maybe the characters don't draw your attention, subjectivity is well and good and appreciate that, just disagree with what constitutes boring.

jdog345

Jul 10, 2008
I can't believe their actually trying to make Blood Meridian into a movie. that's even more reliant on atmosphere than The Road.

Pantsyfaust

Oct 9, 2009
I've heard similar things from other reviewers.

Pity. I really enjoyed the book, and thought it would translate fairly well to the silver screen.

Chances are I'll see it regardless.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
well said about the adaptation scene, i'm sad you didn't find this movie great but I still hope to see it

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
bleeping is way funnier than non-bleeping when done correctly, for the most part bob does it well

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm slightly annoyed that there seems to be a turn towards censoring the F word in videos.

Either leave it out (least favourite), reduce it to F- or lower that damn bleep sound, or let us have an 18 version.

Don't go all Atkinson on us. :(
YES! Please stop the censoring!

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Reasonably well done review, and kudos for mentioning 12 Angry Men, one of my all time favourite films :)!

TheHermit

Nov 30, 2009
I really love these reviews, the way your brain works, the things you explain my perfect sense. Even if I like a movie you don't I can see all your points are perfectly valid. The style of the visuals during the review are great too, I especially enjoy he continued use of Fawful.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Question - what are the visuals like in this? I can handle two hours of boring and poorly paced cinematography if it offers some well concieved post apocalyptic vistas.

Of course, then I'd have to call it research, but meh...

Novascatia

Apr 17, 2009
Unlike other reviews, I find myself strongly disagreeing with Moviebob's review of 'The Road'. I read the book and saw the movie, and I liked them both. The movie is about as bleak and unforgiving as the book(Although the movie ends on a somewhat more hopeful note). First of all, the film, like the book, isn't supposed to have a plot. It is simply telling of the journey a man and his son took, trying to survive and stay 'good' in a hopelessly destroyed world. The boy wasn't really whiny- he didn't really complain that much at all. I have to agree with some earlier posters that Moviebob does bore easily. I don't know how MovieBob can see this movie and walk away being totally indifferent and unaffected by all that took place. I just don't know. Maybe he just doesn't like atmospheric movies, or that he's jaded by other movies,but I found a lot in 'The Road', and I walked away knowing that I had seen a good, satisfying movie. I also walked away in a depressed mood. Both the book and the movie will leave you emotionally drained.

I suggest that people take what Moviebob says with a grain of salt. Read other reviews and get a better opinion about it before just writing it off. I say it's worth a go. However, if you really don't want to see the movie, you should at least read the book. 'The Road' is a MUST read.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
qbanknight said:
bleeping is way funnier than non-bleeping when done correctly, for the most part bob does it well
Well, i think it's not so much as when it's done correctly. To me it's the volume difference, i listen to these reviews in a pretty low volume because the sound effects would otherwise be outrageously ear deafeningly high.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
I feed on his rage of the HALO universe, his fan boyish level of high pitched whining is priceless. Also, The Road is a good book and the movie does a decent job of conveying the book.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
I actually think I'm starting to like MovieBob. I sure as hell don't agree with him most of the time, but he's very good at what he does. Of course, movie taste is, in the long run, subjective, and so I couldn't care less about what he has to say about the movie (put it this way; he may dislike the movie all he likes, but if I like it, I'm not going to change my opinion because of what he says), but he's just a very smart, very talented movie reviewer, and it's a pleasure to see his movies. And he obviously knows his stuff. Plus, he's the only other guy than me who I know that actually liked G.I Joe (damn it, but that film was fun).
Anyway, keep 'em coming Bob. It's wonderful to hear a smart and well thought-through analysis for a change. This one was great, and I've loved the recent ones in general.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
You know, it amazes me how egocentric and intolerant some of you people are. So you don't agree with Bob? Fine, but your disagreement in no way invalidates his opinion. At least he presents logical arguments to support his conclusions, while you just try to write off his dislike as 'he bores easily'. (Well, somebody else mentioned that they liked character studies, and I suppose that makes sense, but I'm betting that's the exception, not the rule-- so when considering the majority of the audience for the review itself, maybe it should be mentioned that your average reader of the Escapist might find the movie a little slow, hmm...?)

Look, maybe Bob had a street-vendor double chili dog and the kidney-buster sized soda before he sat down to watch "the Road" and so he was a little more impatient than usual... it doesn't change the fact that he thinks there was not enough going on (which does not necessarily mean that there were not enough loud bangs either) and he fucking explained his thoughts pretty clearly and consicely. Feel free to agree or disagree, but don't try to claim that he is wrong in his subjective assessment-- that's just arrogant to the point of being asinine.

The bottom line is that he didn't care for this movie for reasons X, Y, and Z. I will consider how I feel about reasons X, Y, and Z and make a slightly more informed decision as to whether or not I wish to see the movie. That is the whole point of movie and game reviews. Just like I don't say to myself "Yahtzee didn't like that game so I'm not going to buy it... durdurdur..." I'm not going to decide if I want to see a movie solely on what Mr. Chipman says, either. I'll take Bob's opinion under advisement and make my own decisions. Do the same or start your bleating now.

In re: the cussing. I personally find it hard to express myself without using the word 'fuck'. I understand that some people use it as a schtick to be 'shocking'. It's just my opinion, but that really doesn't seem to be the case here, given that Bob only trots it out when he wants to increase emphasis, and has been fairly consistent in his use in all the reviews that I have seen. But regardless, to the one or two persons who asked that the artist change his thusfar successful formula (of which the complaint of the majority of viewers seems to be with the bleeping of the profanity rather than the profanity itself), get the fuck over yourself. When, exactly, did the universe start to revolve around you?

Myself, I would only ask that Bob consider having the person responsible for the audio mix lower the level on the beeps. They really seem obnoxiously loud in comparison to the rest of the dialog. Otherwise, it's his show, so I guess he can do whatever he feels comfortable with as far as the swearing/no swearing, beeping/no beeping.

PS- In re: Tool. I think you can dislike their music, but if someone tried to deny that they are very talented musicians (and that Maynard James Keenan is a hell of a lyricist), it would make that person look very ignorant on the subject of musical talent.

/endrant

mnimmny

Aug 25, 2008
Mazty said:
2)Lone Wolf and Cub is really, really bad. Exceptionally cheesy (Gun in pram...come on...)
The Lone Wolf and Cub manga is essentially a collection of vignettes that are hands down the best samurai stories in existence. The movies are pretty slow, but the vignettes in the manga are beautiful, bloody, moving, and... ...oh go read it and then you'll understand what Movie Bob means about it and 'Road to Perdition'