Escape to the Movies: The Road

Annchan

Jul 15, 2010
s0denone said:
Evil_scintist said:
This is the video that has completely reversed my opinion on this guy as any sort of serious movie critic or even anyone who has any right to a published opinion on anything related to art or cinema.
Before his obvious lack of knowledge in his field was limited to small little pin-prick sized statements of monumental stupidity that you could forgive because the overall message of the review seemed to be valid but here... No fucking way.

I could see claiming that it was boring or slow or even that the subject matter was uninteresting for him but to claim that this is a movie where nothing happens is so blatantly and provably wrong that it's embarrassing that I once considered his opinion as one that at least understood the medium that he is so opinionated about.
As much as he talks about getting the point and that he understands the intention (which he may), he seems to miss the point of cinema entirely. He is reviewing this movie the in the same way and using the same criteria that he would reviewing some shit like transformers despite having completely opposite intentions.
Why the fuck would you review a movie that was clearly not meant to entertain you based on how entertaining it was?
Also How The fuck is this a lone wolf and cub rip off? I get that there is a cart and a kid but the themes, messages, plot, story, characters, setting, and intention are completely different. So what every movie about a father and son in a survival setting is a lone wolf rip-off? HINT: just cause it's on wikipedia doesn't make it valid.

Also the shoehorned nerd references are soo fucking irritating. Not to mention they aren't obscure, aren't clever, and half the time aren't even relevant.
I've wasted enough time on this bullshit.
I'm sorry for quoting an old post. I'm just stating my agreement.

This basically made my opinon of MovieBOB do a 180 aswell.

This movie was utter superb, and I think the "Why the fuck would you review a movie that was clearly not meant to entertain you based on how entertaining it was?"(From above post) sums up my main gripe to the T.

Horrible review. You just removed yourself of my may-watch-on-the-escapist list.
"Why the fuck would you review a movie that was clearly not meant to entertain you based on how entertaining it was?"(

Why would I watch a movie that was not meant to entertain me?

mrwoo112

Jul 15, 2010
Annchan said:
s0denone said:
Evil_scintist said:
This is the video that has completely reversed my opinion on this guy as any sort of serious movie critic or even anyone who has any right to a published opinion on anything related to art or cinema.
Before his obvious lack of knowledge in his field was limited to small little pin-prick sized statements of monumental stupidity that you could forgive because the overall message of the review seemed to be valid but here... No fucking way.

I could see claiming that it was boring or slow or even that the subject matter was uninteresting for him but to claim that this is a movie where nothing happens is so blatantly and provably wrong that it's embarrassing that I once considered his opinion as one that at least understood the medium that he is so opinionated about.
As much as he talks about getting the point and that he understands the intention (which he may), he seems to miss the point of cinema entirely. He is reviewing this movie the in the same way and using the same criteria that he would reviewing some shit like transformers despite having completely opposite intentions.
Why the fuck would you review a movie that was clearly not meant to entertain you based on how entertaining it was?
Also How The fuck is this a lone wolf and cub rip off? I get that there is a cart and a kid but the themes, messages, plot, story, characters, setting, and intention are completely different. So what every movie about a father and son in a survival setting is a lone wolf rip-off? HINT: just cause it's on wikipedia doesn't make it valid.

Also the shoehorned nerd references are soo fucking irritating. Not to mention they aren't obscure, aren't clever, and half the time aren't even relevant.

This movie was utter superb, and I think the "Why the fuck would you review a movie that was clearly not meant to entertain you based on how entertaining it was?"(From above post) sums up my main gripe to the T.

Horrible review. You just removed yourself of my may-watch-on-the-escapist list.
"Why the fuck would you review a movie that was clearly not meant to entertain you based on how entertaining it was?"(

I made an account just to second this post.

Movies are a form of entertainment. The book itself was a form of entertainment. "The road" was not real; it did not have any big hitting political points behind it. And even movies that do, like ?Green Zone? still try and include entertaining plot devices. It was the work of fiction and it was FUN to read. The movie should be, therefore FUN to watch. It should entertain the viewer.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Annchan said:

We need to define what "entertain" means.
To me, in this context, it has to do with "Haha, this is a funny/shiny/dark/magical and entertaining movie", not "Wow, this is a good/insightful and therefore entertaining movie"

You don't judge a comedy based of how good a horror-movie it is, just like you don't judge a movie like The Road, which is meant to make you think(Which I think does quite amiably), on how many explosions or how many gunshots are in there. It's simply stupid.

For instance, almost the whole movie lets you, the viewer, draw the conclusions yourself. You see molested bodies, starved people, and you know that these are being eaten by others. You follow the main characters, in whom you are invested at this point(unless you're more of a Michael Bay-type fan), and how they are forced to not make a stand against the oppressing cannibals. They are not action-movies stars. They can't save the world. All they can do, is make the most of what time they have left.

In essence, it's a deep, emotional movie where the last few pieces of the puzzle depends on whether or not the viewer is drawn to such a movie. This means it will remain bland and dull to some people, case in point: you, and others will find it to be an amazing stroke of genius and work of art.

You're clearly not the target audience, and as such your opinion doesn't matter at all. Even less than movieBobs. Of course you shouldn't see it. Just like I cannot make an unbiased statement on any Chick-flick, ever, doesn't make all of them bad movies - it just means I'm not the target audience and am unable to compare them to others of their genre and then see how they hold up.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Lusulpher said:
First time disagreeing with Bob, my Lord and Saviour.

The Road was near-flawless art. And that was it. It made few sacrifices to the audience when portraying the mood of The Ruination.

The kid was annoying. But he was a Messiah symbol that was supposed to ask the naive questions, always, or else he's just another sharp, gritty piece of the world. You know the ones "who consciously decide to destroy another human being". Imagine him like his desperate father...

I read a few pages of the book and it made me go cold. I watched the movie and my heart was racing at a few points, I nearly shouted a warning to warn them once.
The quagmire, chaos, and waste on display, reminded me of Human nature.

The movie was a character study, it strips off the mask, looks at the face and does not blink. Then it tells it's son. "THIS is what I look like too. We all look like monsters."

Also, roads are a symbol of civilization, and you have to stay away from them to survive. FUCKING SUPERB WRITING.

And I cannot get the image of the quiet deaths out of my head.
And I was really sleepy when I began the film, but at 4AM I was wide awake and a bit scared.

I recommend you watch it again. Tragic, haunting, beautiful deaths.
Thank you! I saw it as an unbelievably beautiful, uplifting and hopeful film. Any story that involves a grown man protecting a child is NOT A DIRECT ADAPTATION of Lone Wolf and Cub. Is he really trying to tell me that a father trying to keep his son alive in a chaotic world is a unique concept that was penned by someone?

And I didn't think the kid was annoying at all. Do people really think that a child in that situation is going to be a monotone, milquetoast bot? Probably not. He's going to scream, he's going to cry, he's going to put you in many dangerous situations. But then again, Bob probably isn't a father, so he can't appreciate the movie from that perspective. Robert Duvall almost had me in tears, and Viggo was fantastic in this movie. IMO, he should've at least been nominated for an Oscar, but I agree Christoph Waltz deserved it. Lastly, the score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis was amazing, the track "The Beach" especially moves me every time I hear it. Emotionally powerful in its simplicity.

I understand taste is subjective, but just because this film doesn't have a Criterion release doesn't mean it's shit.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Annchan said:
s0denone said:
Evil_scintist said:

Well, if that's true, then why does anyone create documentaries any more? Yes, there are some funny ones, and some have funny parts, but for the most part they are not what most people would call, "Entertaining"

In my opinion, The Road is not a typical movie, but rather an, "Art Movie" or, "Painting Movie" The movie was made (From a book that was made for the same reason) to make a point, and to make viewers (Or readers) think.

So of course, most people who watch movies just for fun/entertainment may not find it interesting, but people who watch movies for more than just having a bit of fun, the ones who watch movies as art to make a point/make them think would like it.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I have to confess i didn't even like the book, I read it with a book club on another forum and I think I was about the only one who didn't like it. The trouble was it just didn't have any credibility, fist the unknown apocalypse... WTF? ok so its a dramatic tool but you've got to at least try to explain this if you're going to pin so much bull crap on it. What "apocalypse" could possibly leave thousands of humans alive but with all other living creatures and plants permanently extinct!?
and some of the bullshit scenarios and decisions defied all logic and did so brazenly which pissed me off... ok I understand that its not a literal story but a poetic one, but even so, you've to to at least give us something to help suspend disbelief.

/rant

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
I liked the film, scared me a lot more than most of the horror films out at the moment. Particularly that Paranormal Film, THAT was a film about nothing. And what else is there? Some terrible Saw movie? The Road was pretty good, but maybe I'm fooling myself, perhaps I just like watching Viggo, same as Liam Neeson, just watchable actors whatever film they're in

Scarlet Mongoose

Mar 26, 2011
This is one of those instances where everyone should definitely ignore Bob.
He completely missed the mark this time around.
An amazing film, getting ripped on by a critic clearly out of his element here, and letting some sort of odd bias (that he spends part of the review trying to deny) get in the way of his understanding of how fantastic this film actually is.