Escape to the Movies: The Thing

master109

Oct 15, 2011
i saw the movie yesterday and i thought it was really good and the effects were also good sure there were some parts that looked fake but its THE THING which in my opinion it can never be bad

master109

Oct 15, 2011
i saw the movie yesterday and i thought it was really good and the special effects were also good sure there were some parts that looked fake but its THE THING so in my opinion it can never be bad

edit: sorry double post

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Sabrestar said:
Sorry, Bob, but as far as I'm concerned there will only ever be one The Thing. And it was played by James Arness. I don't mind the love for Carpenter, but I just don't care for that sort of horror. The (real) original was not horror so much as suspense, which is probably why I prefer it. Still, I know I'm in a minority and I don't begrudge anyone their love of Carpenter's movie. Just don't ask me to sit down and watch it with you.

All the same, I'm glad to hear this one isn't good. No harm meant to those involved in it, but I didn't see a reason for it to be made and didn't want it to be successful. I hope they go on to better things than this.
I've seen both and the 1982 adaption of the novel 'Who Goes There' uses suspense and tension as its tool of horror quite well.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Stall said:
Carpenter's The Thing really doesn't really rank up there for "memorable character". And if you didn't know Wilford Brimley was going to be the "face on the final boss fight," then you need to have your brain checked. Carpenter's The Thing is not really "classical" material: it's a cult film. Last time I checked, those two concepts are radically different.

So I fail to see how you can complain about these things int he remake if not even the original got them right, unless you are so blinded by nostalgia, and bitterly cynical about Hollywood to the point where it obscures your obligations as a critic.

Oh wait, this is MovieBob we're talking about. Of COURSE he can't do a proper job because he's too blinded by nostalgia and bitterly cynical about Hollywood! Silly me... expecting a critic to actually be critical instead of just complaining about how it's Hollywood being Hollywood and that it's not original!

Once again, MovieBob really cements himself as being one of the worst contributors on this

site.
man I just watched the original a few days ago and I really have to say it is a fantastic movie and the effects look a little dated but arguably better than all half the cg they use now 30 years later. Bob also gave very valid reasoning's to why he prefers the old style such as how it forced the directors to plan the shots out better.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
This movie was so bad even Victor Lucas himself gave it a 0.5 and if you know who that is you'd be just as surprised as me.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
In the words of a certain infamous internet critic... BETRAYAL!

This movie betrays everything about the first. Gah. There's nothing visceral about it, nothing gothic about it. There's no dread or loneliness or suspicion. There's just a lot of half-hearted grasping at everything the 80's version did so masterfully. It really hurt to have to watch it.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Nurb said:
Obligatory

Thank you for this pearl of wisdom. I have learned my lesson! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT OH HOLY ONE! *Bows* I'LL TELL THEM YOUR MESSAGE! JUST DON'T GO!

XD

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
I watched the review before going to see this movie today and I also watched the Carpenter film a couple weeks ago. I thought the new movie was just as good. The pacing was the same in both films. If you saw the Carpenter film you knew everyone was going to die anyway, so there was no surprise there. I didn't really see any merit to the complaints Movie Bob made. I am honestly beginning wonder if Movie Bob actually watches all the movies he reviews or if he just watches the trailers for some of them and finds crap in there to ***** about.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I've yet to see the movie, so I can't really defend or attack it, but there is something I'd like to say: something tells me that several people here have already had it in their mind that they were going to hate this movie long before the movie was even released.

Okay, obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, rather I'm just saying that appears to be the vibe I'm getting from these comments. What I find interesting to are the people who say "Oh, it's not suspenseful at all, it has none of the paranoia and is just creature chases and scares!", mostly because on reflection, how else could it have been done? I'm willing to bet that had this movie stayed true to all of that and was basically the 82 version again, people would just say "It's the same damn movie, just watch the original!", and since I'm sure thats what the director thought the reaction would be like if they did that, he decided to change it.

Again, I haven't seen it so I can't say if this is fully true or if it works, but from what I'm hearing this is again filed with alot of chase sequences and jump scares, to which I think to myself "That's the only way it could work". Seeing as how we already now what the end conclusion is going to be because of the intro to the 82 version, simply doing a stealth creature seems rather odd. Think about it, the Thing itself in the prequel would be un-aware of the harm humans can pose to it, confidant that it's strong enough on it's own to just face the humans head on without having to use most of it's survival techniques, which I'm guessing in turn leads to it learning the hard way that humans can harm it pretty easily, which in turn seems to turn the Thing to a confident and cocky brute (2011 version) to a nervous yet strategic hunter (1982 version). This difference in character type means that the pace of the movie will also be different. After all, having a brutish creature in a stealth and suspense setting would be like trying to snipe someone with a chainsaw, different but impractical. That said, I'm open to the idea that this may be wrong once I see the movie, so this won't be a definitive response or defense untill then, rather speculation based on what I've heard.

As for the CG debate, I must say that the 82 versions effects were tremendous, expecially for it's time and in some cases even today (although there are effects towards the end that aren't as impressive and haven't really aged that well), and I will also say that I do indeed find practical effects (only in Horror movies mind you) to be more effective than CG, and even when not as effective the offness of the practical effects help to lend to a sense of distrubance that the offness of CG can't really capture. That said however, when I heard that the same studio that did the CG for this did the CG for District 9, it made me wonder if the complaints about the CG come from people who were purposefully looking for something to complain about as oppossed to actual problems that the studio should've noticed.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
That thing joke you put in there was bad, but the permission to laugh joke was funny.

Of course, the Avengers trailer joke was the best.

NurseDoomsday

Sep 29, 2009
I was expecting a flamethrower joke, but otherwise good review. Not really looking forward to the movie but I'll watch it anyway.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
mcnally86 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
mcnally86 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
It's not a remake, it's a prequel. Derp a derp
But they could have done a sequel! Am I the first to bring up the video game on a video game website? Sure the story wasn't great but the ending is fantastic if its cannon. "YAY IM SAVED, but the world is fucked though cause I r contagious with alien goo. Well time to give hugs to friends an family back at home." But I guess they used that ending in other movies. Still a good ending.
Thanks for reminding me that I don't have my ps2 anymore so I can't play the game again!! *runs off crying*
Have an X-box? Pawn shops have em cheap and x-boxes don't die. Really the story was rubbish but it was an awesome game. For anyone who didn't play the game but liked the movies go play it. It is exactly how they are. You can execute people who you suspect of being an alien and if they don't mutate all the other survivors may think you fell off the deep end and try to kill you before you kill them. Not only are there loyalty levels there are sanity levels and if you have your party follow you into a room with lots of blood/bodies in it they may start firing wildly at the walls screaming "something moved in that corner" if you leave em in their too long. On the other hand if you tell them to wait outside while you search the room the AI's might have a group meeting and decide when you come back to them that you were out of sight too long and now you could be the thing. The scariest moments of the game are when you know 1-2 of your buddies are infected but you have to act cool because you need someone on your side (even if they are pretending) or your all alone. Just don't forget and let your guard down!
Yeah I have an Xbox, an original and the 360 :D. I will have to find it for my Xbox now.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Well, I will still watch it. I'm just too big of an "the Thing" fan to pass the chance to watch it on the big screen. I'm sure it won't hold up to the carpenter movie, but I don't expect it to.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i love the 1982 version. its simply awesome. had a feeling that this new version would suck. so i will keep missing out on that one and maybe rent it on dvd when i have nothing better to do.
but for now, i watch the carpenters version :D

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Before I even watch this review I can see from the comments I'm gonna have something to ***** about. Almost every other person is talking about the fucking Avengers Trailer? Seriously? Is this a show about reviewing trailers? I'm just gonna guess that he threw it in as that in the middle of the credits info thing and his fans are just stupid; giving people the benefit of the doubt is healthy sometimes.

Oh goddamnit, really? It's not just his fans? Bob is really just gone that far over the deep end? Fuck you Bob, and fuck the escapist for not wising up to his stupid shit by now!

Oh apparently it was an unfunny... well I guess you can't call it a joke if it isn't funny. I guess you can call it filler then? Intentionally trying to waste our time since even he knows he has nothing of substance to actually say about this travesty of a movie? Either way, sorry about the outburst *pops some chill pills*

Oh I didn't know the girl in this was Ramona from Scott Pilgrim. Cool. Good to know her career already peeked I guess. It is kinda cool hearing him talk about, you know, cinematography which is something not a lot of reviewers talk about since everyone usually chats about the story and characters when in horror movies the art of the camera is just as important, but it comes off as a cock tease since he immediately moves on to the story/characters blah blah blah way too soon.

Also I have a pet peeve about using the same word twice in a row. Couldn't come up with a synonym for dull? Hell Bob I'm surprised you didn't use boring so you could have stretched it out and padded out the review even more. I'd be impressed if I didn't think it was a choice done out of lazyness instead of trying to improve.

I'm also tempted to bring up Yahtzee's little anti-hyped theory. If you keep raising your expectations, it doesn't matter how good the movie is gonna be, you'll be disappointed.

Really I'd rather just watch Spoony's video of it. It may be 40 minutes long, but at least it's 40 minutes actually talking about the movie instead of just two mins out of a five minute video with the rest of the space filled with trite bullshit.

Nurb said:
Obligatory

Considering a good number of the people here said "Well I knew it would be bad but I'm gonna watch it anyway" you're probably wasting your time with that one.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I love that last week was Kirby for the wii, and now this week was Mario for the 3DS.
Its a rare find to have a reviewer like nintendo.
Then again maybe my vision is being scewed by 4chan and the constant "Nintendo is kiddy" and "Rehashes, Rehashes everywhere"

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Aw crap... The Thing is one of my favorite movies, I was really hoping this one would be just as good.