Escape to the Movies: The Thing

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I completely agree with this review. I saw this, and was so bored out of my mind that I would have walked out if not for my boyfriend insisting that we stay so we can get our money's worth.

The characters are 1-dimensional at best, I don't even remember anyone's names besides Lars, the main character was a magical protagonist with no flaws who always has the answer to everything, and this movie didn't scare me in the least. And this is coming from a horror wimp. Even the jump-out scares didn't surprise me.

Although I think my main complaint is that these filmmakers don't understand that a monster stays scary the less you see of it, because the thing is all up in your grill for most of the movie. I'm pretty sure you get to see it in all its glory not 30 minutes in.

Also, I'm sorry the thing, I can't take you seriously during the final climactic fight with that stupid scientist's face on.

xDarc

Feb 19, 2009
Thought movie bob was too harsh on it. I thought it was surprisingly not bad. After getting home I watched the John Carpenter version again for like the 100th time. I don't think I first saw the Thing until the early 90's; so to be able to see another movie playing off of it 20 years later was pretty damn cool.

I agree that most of the remakes of 80's horror movies have been duds, but this one is above the rest.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Yo dawg, I heard you like remakes...

Seriously though, I would have watched the Avengers trailer again. :p
Ha! I was ninja'd

Anyways This is a review I can agree with Bob on for once. It was disappointing in every sense.
Plus I LIKED the sausage fest in the first thing.
Christ almighty, if you're going to put a woman in there at least give her some freaking character rather than just do it out of obligation.

Hell! bring Sigourney Weaver back if you must! She has experience with Aliens (See what I did there?)

Secondly the Head Spider will always remain the freakiest part of the Original The Thing for me.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Outcast107 said:
Dave29 said:
Says the man who loved Sucker Punch and thought Rango was nothing special.

I know it's hard to disconnect one's love for the original movie, but that's not a reason to give a blatantly biased review. Yes it is not great, and yes the original is much better, but it isn't the piece of shit he's making out to be.
This is moviebob were talking about. He so full of bias reviews that it isn't funny. Hell this site is full of bias thinking. Which is why I hardly come here any more. To much bullshit to deal with.
Indeed. I remember when I got marked as the Scum of the Escapist for ever daring to like Transformers or Call Movie Bob out on his bullshit review on Sucker Punch.

It's like Movie Bob's reviews are the Gospel to some of the Escapists.
Hell even I don't always agree with Yahtzees views on some games, because if I did then almost every game I have wouldnt be enjoyable to me.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Now if they can get the Prequel to Alien right!

I'm sorry, but I have my hopes up along with the fact that H.R. Giger is getting directly involved with this!

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I am against this movie like most but it is worth noting this is not a simple remake it is a prequel to John Carpenters "The Thing"

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Having finally seen the original, I have something to say about this video. I notice that in the original, they explicitly state there were only ten people stationed in the Norwegian base. Weren't there like 30 in the new movie. I only notice this because I looked up several clips just to see how bad the special effects were and noticed a damn lot of actors. And damn terrible CGI. I mean, that's almost sci-fi channel knock-off movie level CGI.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
They test-screened with animatronics and the test audience HATED IT and DEMANDED CGI. so thats why they made a bad CGI that wasnt even planned.