Escape to the Movies: Thor: The Dark World

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Thor: The Dark World

MovieBob puts the hammer down on the upcoming Thor movie.

Watch Video

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
I saw it in iMax last night. HOLY SHIT!!!

Some movies are really not meant to be in 3D. This is a fast paced, hard action movie. So, instead of enjoying the spectacle of "Wow, this is bigger than life" I just got a bit sick.

I thought the movie was pretty damn awesome though. Like I said, it's a fast paced, hard action movie, and it so much delivers on that. I'm going to have to watch it again in a theater where I can sort of take in what's going on more easily.

Also, can anyone explain to me the post credits reveal...please? This was a part where no one pretended to know what was going on...

EDIT: Okay, so I got four different people who explained to me the post-credits scene. Thank you!

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I think I agree with you, Bob. Definitely grade-A stuff, (Especially the last fight scene), but it could use some padding.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I loved the movie. I thought it was a good ol' time with some pretty awesome action sequences and genuinely funny moments. Did feel a bit rushed at times, but I can forgive that though.

My overall enjoyment of the movie however, was hampered by all the Loki fans who would NOT shut up whenever he was on screen! These are some of the worst people to see a Thor movie with. I understand laughing and "Ooh"-ing throughout a movie that you're enjoying, but these fans take it to a whole new level of obnoxious.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I saw this monday and while I still think Natalie Portman is mis-cast as Jane Foster (in a humour filled film, she tries but fails) overall its a lot of fun and a good reminder of why the Marvel films have been so successful. Bob is spot on when he says they're embracing the light, funny & downright crazy side of the comics instead of playing it down (like Man of Steel) and considering how a lot of focus recently in TV and film has been towards the grim and gritty its nice for a series to be bucking that trend.

Also, it wasn't just the 3D print that was like that. 2 out of the 3 main settings had the grey filter on high (though in fairness the London scenes deserved it) and the Asgard scenes seemed a lot duller then in the 1st film.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Conner42 said:
I saw it in iMax last night. HOLY SHIT!!!

Some movies are really not meant to be in 3D. This is a fast paced, hard action movie. So, instead of enjoying the spectacle of "Wow, this is bigger than life" I just got a bit sick.

I thought the movie was pretty damn awesome though. Like I said, it's a fast paced, hard action movie, and it so much delivers on that. I'm going to have to watch it again in a theater where I can sort of take in what's going on more easily.

Also, can anyone explain to me the post credits reveal...please? This was a part where no one pretended to know what was going on...
I didn't get it either at first.

Apparently it's a sequel hook for Guardians of the Galaxy, featuring "The Collector".

I thought it was pretty poorly done. The make-up in particular seems so cheap in that scene.
Also, the 3D looked fine to me.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
BTB, I think you forgot to make a pun unless there's something about "Game Over" that worked for Thor as well as Ender.

Also, you really think that's where they're going with Princess "Not Peach so we can have Peach be playable"?

iamscottevil

Nov 24, 2009
You just all have sucky theaters. Dolby 3d with Dolby atmos were perfect. It was a really fun movie and the converted 3d was good (not wizard of oz good, but pretty good). and I'm picky about my 3d. Plus had some great momements. Frigga and jane was one of the best parts. and no references to the pink girl and the mugato ripoff character bob? I am dissapoint : )

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
inb4 complaints about Loki being uninteresting and a bad villain.

I enjoyed it. Loki was definitely more fun to watch than Malacith, even though I'm a Christopher Eccleston fan. Any time dark elves make an appearance in fiction/fantasy is a plus in my book. I agree with Bob in that this was more wacky and Flash Gordon esque. Some things should have been explained better, but overall it was pretty good. If they can do something like this I can't wait to see people's reactions to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Omnicide

Aug 6, 2011
Is there a reason China has such arbitrary restrictions on what is displayed in their country?

I mean, aside from the fact that it's china, but still. One would hope there's some logic behind the restrictions.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I've seen this twice now. The first time I had to see it in 3D because the 2D showing was full(the first time that has ever happened to me since like... The Return of the King?). I agree on how bad the 3D is. Every action scene was super blurry and the the final part of the last battle in the red mist was so dark that you couldn't really see it with the glasses on. 2D on the other hand looked pretty great. Taylor really nails it. The film has a kind of scope to it that I don't think most of the other Marvel films can match, and not just because of the whole 9 worlds stuff. That final battle seemed huge.

Agreed about how hurried the film is and the need for a longer cut, especially from the scene you mentioned. That could have been a really fantastic scene.

Surprised you didn't mention how boring Malaketh was as a villain. He only really talks to any of the characters like... twice. Really seems like kind of a waste of hiring Christopher Eccleston when you can barely tell it's him. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't sat through the credits for the bonus scene(which was awesome).

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
LOKI! LOKI! LOKI! LOKI!

He owned so many scenes in this movie, which just made it even better for me. (Even though its stupid and wont happen, I want Loki to have his own movie. Even if its just him insulting people for an hour).

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
It was okay, better than Iron Man 3 but then everything is better than Iron Man 3.
Seriously? Until this came out, I thought Iron Man 3 was the best comic/super hero movie this year, easily edging out Man of Steel and Wolverine. I get the plot twist with Mandarin and the general attitude of keeping it light and humorous instead of being series turned off a lot of people, but it was, by no means, a bad film in that regard. Just not the typical comic movie we've really come to expect at this point.

OT: I loved this movie more than I expected, and I went in with lower expectations given how the first one wasn't such a solid piece itself. Loki kind of stole the show, which I think helps make up for the lack of padding for this film. A little bit of filler to maybe make the villain more interesting or give the Warriors 3 and Sif some more characterization and screen time would have been nice, but twice now they haven't gotten much for those supporting characters and I'm not really expecting it at this point either. By no means a perfect movie, it's still pretty damn good overall.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Zenron said:
Surprised you didn't mention how boring Malaketh was as a villain. He only really talks to any of the characters like... twice. Really seems like kind of a waste of hiring Christopher Eccleston when you can barely tell it's him. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't sat through the credits for the bonus scene(which was awesome).
I know what you mean. You really couldn't tell "Who" that was. *gets looks* I know...I know...I'm a terrible person for making that pun.

BTW...that last bit in the credits. (Of this video, not Thor.) You seem to be hinting at a Mario game...and you seem to be hinting that that thing in the bottle in Bowser's grubby claw is a Subconian. Surely not! That game wasn't even techncally suposed to be a Mario game!

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Conner42 said:
Infinity Gauntlet.

The Aether is the movie version of the Power Gem, the Tesseract from Avengers is the Mind Gem.

The power of the Gems is immense. Having all of them gives you full control over existence. Having more than one is dangerous, so Asgard gives one to the Collector, whom I think you can guess what he does.

The Collector implies he wants them ALL, and will likely be a villain or working for the villain in Guardians of the Galaxy. Also, Thanos (from the Avengers final scene) is known for possessing the Infinity Gems, putting them on his glove, and calling it the Infinity Gauntlet.

This is likely a set up for BOTH Guardians of the Galaxy AND Avengers 3.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I rarely skulk out of my cave and into the theaters. Typically I prefer to wait for Blu-Ray. But yeah, I'll probably head out to see this one today. I was shocked by how much I liked THOR and am really eager to see the follow up.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
wooty said:
LOKI! LOKI! LOKI! LOKI!

He owned so many scenes in this movie, which just made it even better for me. (Even though its stupid and wont happen, I want Loki to have his own movie. Even if its just him insulting people for an hour).
Check out Kieron Gillen's "Journey Into Mystery" run for the best Loki has ever been...

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I got to see this two weeks ago here and I pretty much agree with what Bob though. Great movie, just a little rushed. And I totally agree with the 3D issue. I actually passed on going to a release screening because no one near me was showing it in 2D,

Conner42 said:
Well the two main things to take away from it is:

1. The Collector. This is a character who is basically immortal and a lone survivor of one of the universes first sentient races. Being immortal he keeps himself certain by collector whatever catches his fancies, weapons, art, animals, people etc. Apparently he is going to have a role in Guardians of the Galaxy.

2. The Infinity Gauntlet. Volstagg refers to both the Tesseract (from Captain America and Avengers) and the Aether as both being Infinity Gems. There are six "Infinity Gems" in the Marvel universe that each grant some special powers to the wielder. These gems were used by Thanos (guy revealed in the Avengers post-credit scene) which granted him near omnipotence with which he uses to kill half of the population of the universe[footnote=1]Don't worry, they get better.[/footnote]. It's presumed that the other "gems" will be discovered in upcoming movies and that this will all come together in Avengers 3.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Omnicide said:
Is there a reason China has such arbitrary restrictions on what is displayed in their country?

I mean, aside from the fact that it's china, but still. One would hope there's some logic behind the restrictions.
It mostly seems to be an attempt to protect the Chinese film industry. The fear being that if a place like Hollywood was allowed to flood the Chinese market with films then Chinese ticket buyers would not buy as many tickets for the films made by the Chinese studios.

Also a bit of a leverage thing. By limiting the number of films then Hollywood has to bend more and more to what China wants to get one of it's films onto the Chinese market. A bit like with Transformers 4 where it seems the involvement of the US military has been scaled back and parts of the film were actually filmed in China with Chinese actors just to make sure it will be one of the lucky films to make the cut.