Escape to the Movies: Thor: The Dark World

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Well, likely seeing this one way or another. I've heard some sniffy reviews for it, but whatever. What I'm a little worried about, however, is the last thing Bob said. I really hope the Marvel movie/tv-verse won't turn into "Oh this important thing we're referencing was explained in Agents of SHIELD season 2 episode 3. Didn't see it? Tough luck". That shit belongs to comics. Keep the movies straightforward and simple.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob puts the hammer down on the upcoming Thor movie.
I really hope the next Intermission or BigPicture is about stuff from the movie.

Like the end credit scene, more info on Malekith, maybe more about the "aether" and the five other ones, etc etc
As someone who doesn't know the history of comics and doesn't read them there's so much more info to get, I googled some of the stuff but that's just a little info in a whole sea.

On the movie:

Liked it!
Action scenes were good, funny scenes were funny, I got a few "wtf/whoa moments".
A few scenes looked a bit too borrowed from StarWars etc, but didn't mind too much :p
There's more to come and next is CaptainAmerica WS

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I've read a mountain of guardians of the galaxy comics in recent weeks and am now deeply versed in Thanos' entire history as well. To say I am hyped for the GotG movie would be a massive understatement. Oh my god is that movie going to be something else if James Gunn has done the comics justice.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Falseprophet said:
I think Marvel in general has a lack of decent villains. The villains have the been the weak link in almost all their movies. It hasn't been a dealbreaker, because most Marvel heroes are about overcoming their personal issues and flaws than fighting bad guys, but it can keep those films an inch away from greatness. And they're certainly not helped by the rights to their most interesting villains being in the hands of other studios. After Magneto, Doctor Doom, and the better members of Spider-Man's rogue's gallery, who's actually decent for Marvel? The only interesting one has been Loki, and how much of that is because of Tom Hiddleston?
So I read this and thought "No! Marvel has great villains." And then I did a web search for top villains. And then I did a web search for top Avengers villains. And then for Spiderman villains. So, yeah. You are right. All of the big hitters have been done. The exceptions are Ultron and Thanos. Galactus was a bit of a copout in Fantastic 4 numero dos. And Doctor Doom was a poor depiction in Fantastic 4.

So my votes to get some decent villains would be to:
[ol]Reboot Doctor Doom as the badass that he should be. (Can't-at another studio)
Use The Leader and hook him up with a ridiculously complicated plan and a ton of muscle: Rhino, Wrecking Crew, Shocker, Scorpion, Titania etc. We were already teased with The Leader in the latest Hulk. (Rogues may be at another studio with Spider Man)
Apocalypse
Moecule Man (not really a planner so much as a "I can screw with everything" type)[/ol]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I saw Pacific Rim in 3D and it was blurry, underlit and kind of ruined the movie for me as well.

lollerskating

Nov 25, 2009
SPOILERS AHEAD

I thought it was badly paced, most of the dark elves' attack on Asgard was pointless and lacking any emotion whatsoever, the action wasn't anything spectacular and the endless lasers and destruction left me numb.

Frigga got way more to do this time around only it was because having her fridged wouldn't have much of an emotional impact on anyone if she was in the movie as little as she was in the first Thor. What was the point of that anyway? To prove that Loki feels something? Well done, movie, we got that already.

Also, Hogun. When I realised what was happening in the scene in his realm I literally went 'are you fucking kidding me' out loud because that was just lazy as fuck. If you wanted to separate The Warriors Three at least make it mean something, at least pretend you didn't just want to get rid of the Asian guy because the big fat funny one and the handsome blonde one are the ones you really care about. I mean, what the fuck did Fandral even do that Hogun couldn't have done with him? Seriously? And Volstagg? That reaction shot of Hogun during the final battle was just a spit in the face really. I couldn't enjoy the movie at all after he got ditched.

I liked the portal jumping gags in London and I liked most of the scenes on Earth with Jane, Darcy, the intern and even Selvig. I liked Loki's illusion shenanigans and I liked his moments with Thor but the rest of the movie was a mess.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
... flying laser armed canoes... probably the most amazing mental image inducing set of words ever spoken.
I am going to have to go see that film now, if only for that.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I thought the film was pretty good. Like Bob, I felt it seemed rushed but it did give a good chuckle from time to time as well such as the idea of Thor having to use the London underground (even if there is no way in hell that train somehow made it from Charing Cross to Greenwich in three stops... I wish it could though).

That said, did anyone else feel like the post credits scene belonged in a Doctor Who episode instead of a Marvel action movie?

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Haven't seen it yet, but as a Norse mythology buff, I am glad to hear Sif ends up a romantic interest. In the name of he who hung upon the tree Yggdrasil for nine days and nine nights, she is supposed to be Thor's wife. Also, she is supposed to be blonde. This isn't minor, her nickname (like Odin is the Allfather, Thor is the Thunderer, Freyja is the Lady of the Slain, ect) is Sif of Golden Hair. In a early myth her hair is described as being like sunlight flowing across gold, then Loki cuts it off as a prank, then Thor threatens him, then he makes the Sons of Ivaldi make her new hair out of literal gold, and by a bet gets dwarves to make Mjölnir (you know, the Hammer of Thor?), Gungnir (Odin's spear), Gullinbursti (Freyr's golden boar, can run across water), Draupnir (Odin's magic ring, makes 8 copies of itself every nine nights), Skidbladnir (Freyr's ship, can shrink or grow as needed, always has wind in its sails) so her being blonde is kinda important. Also she is a goddess of farming and fertility, not war.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Salad Is Murder said:
I would like to say that I really enjoyed this movie, because I did. But I can't fully endorse it for one reason.

WHERE. IS. MY. BETA. RAY. BILL.
Damn, I was just thinking this. I really would like to see that character on the big screen, but I'm not sure where you would throw him in plot-wise. Anyway, still looking forward to watching Dark World.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
MovieBob said:
Anyone who hasn't seen both is going to be completely lost.
While the whole big movie continuinty thing is fairly cool, I think this is going to become a big problem. By far the biggest issue comics have is that they're almost completely incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't been following them for a long time. So many different characters, worlds, plot arcs, and so on constantly being introduced, killed off, retconned, rewritten entirely, and so on, makes it incredibly difficult for new readers to actually find a place to jump in and start reading.

And now we're starting to see exactly the same thing happen with the movies. It's not too bad so far, since there aren't too many films and most people interseted in the new one will have at least had the chance to see the previous ones. But what happens in 10 years time when there are twice as many films, all even more reliant on what has happened in earlier ones? What happens if DC ever get their shit together and suddenly there are two series of films that you can't miss seeing any of, but still need to keep separate? What happens when people who aren't even old enough to be watching them now want to get involved, but don't want to work through a decade's back catalogue of dated action films?

Having movies set in the same universe, with crossovers and cameos and so on, is one thing. But if the audience needs to follow a whole series of films just so they're able to understand what's happening in what is ostensibly a stand-alone solo film is likely to become a problem.

OctoberFox

Jul 17, 2013
Conner42 said:
I saw it in iMax last night. HOLY SHIT!!!

Some movies are really not meant to be in 3D. This is a fast paced, hard action movie. So, instead of enjoying the spectacle of "Wow, this is bigger than life" I just got a bit sick.

I thought the movie was pretty damn awesome though. Like I said, it's a fast paced, hard action movie, and it so much delivers on that. I'm going to have to watch it again in a theater where I can sort of take in what's going on more easily.

Also, can anyone explain to me the post credits reveal...please? This was a part where no one pretended to know what was going on...
I laughed. Sorry it made you sick, but it's pretty funny to think you went from "Awesome" to "...gonna HURL".

So very glad this movie was saved. Looking forward to seeing it.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
I watched the movie twice in cinemas and while I enjoyed The Avengers, I didn't do so as much as the Average Joe; and considering Thor is my favourite of the first generation of Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movies; Thor 2 was the movie I was looking forward to the most. Not only did it not disappoint, it's my favourite MCU movie and one of my all time favourite movies full stop. Every scene that was actually there was perfectly paced and the movie as a whole was more or less perfect as well, especially the scene Bob so haphazardly skirted around. What movie there was, as Bob said, was excellent, near perfect even, if not for it's editing, cutting each scene short.

All of the important developmental scenes with the side characters and the scenes that flesh out the villain were no doubt left on the cutting room table. The same could be said about the the first Thor, some of the best scenes featuring Volstagg, Hogun, Fandral, Lady Sif, Odin, Queen Frigga and even Loki were deleted scenes. This was clearly not Kenneth Branagh's decision, the man being so vehemently against unnecessary - sometimes necessary - editing and instead a decision from on of the Executive Producers that shared both movie's credits; Alan Fine, Louis D'Esposito or even Stan Lee.

If those deleted scenes were included the story would have been all the better for it and I feel the same could be true about Thor: The Dark World which no doubt had A LOT of deleted scenes.

SpaceGhost

May 5, 2012
I skimmed the posts a bit to avoid spoilers, so apologies if I missed it, but while I am sure Jaime Alexander would be flattered to be confused with Jaime King, Bob, and vice versa, with the current Rumor going around I am surprised Ms. Alexander's name doesn't immediately spring to mind.

Not sure if discussion of said Rumor belongs in this, or another thread. Probably the latter.

And Moderators: I hope this post lacks the subtlety necessary for you to be able identify it as "Contribution." It's hard to have to limit yourself to a target audience you didn't realize was inherently limited.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Wait... so it feels rushed and has some "disconected" issues? So I'll enjoy then, since it sounds exactly like the first one but with no "middle of nowhere" city to drag the movie down.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Did anyone else here watch the "invasion" scene in act 2 and immediately think of Star Wars? Because as I watched what were essentially evil B-Wings cruising through a gorge while being fired at by laser canons, I sort of got that impression. Anyone?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I just got back from the theaters. Saw Thor: The Dark World in 2D (learned my lesson from only seeing Thor n 3D and so did my local theater). Awesome movie, very fasted paced and, yeah, I wish it had more padding like in the Thor/Jane/Sif relationship. I feel Marvel/Disney needs to invest in director cuts of the movies, especially Incredible Hulk imo. The deleted scenes would have added much more depth to the film and to the characters.

BTW. Bob didn't address this but it needs to be mentioned... STAY THROUGH THE CREDITS! We get a glimpse of one of the upcoming Marvel movies for next year (not saying which one) plus, after the ending of the movie, we are definitely getting another Thor movie. Trust me.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
wooty said:
LOKI! LOKI! LOKI! LOKI!

He owned so many scenes in this movie, which just made it even better for me. (Even though its stupid and wont happen, I want Loki to have his own movie. Even if its just him insulting people for an hour).
I swear to fucking god if there is a solo Loki movie before a female hero lead I will rage against everything in the known universe.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Lizardon said:
I got to see this two weeks ago here and I pretty much agree with what Bob though. Great movie, just a little rushed. And I totally agree with the 3D issue. I actually passed on going to a release screening because no one near me was showing it in 2D,

Conner42 said:
Also, can anyone explain to me the post credits reveal...please? This was a part where no one pretended to know what was going on...
Well the two main things to take away from it is:

1. The Collector. This is a character who is basically immortal and a lone survivor of one of the universes first sentient races. Being immortal he keeps himself certain by collector whatever catches his fancies, weapons, art, animals, people etc. Apparently he is going to have a role in Guardians of the Galaxy.

2. The Infinity Gauntlet. Volstagg refers to both the Tesseract (from Captain America and Avengers) and the Aether as both being Infinity Gems. There are six "Infinity Gems" in the Marvel universe that each grant some special powers to the wielder. These gems were used by Thanos (guy revealed in the Avengers post-credit scene) which granted him near omnipotence with which he uses to kill half of the population of the universe[footnote=1]Don't worry, they get better.[/footnote]. It's presumed that the other "gems" will be discovered in upcoming movies and that this will all come together in Avengers 3.
The Infinity Gauntlet was in Asgard's treasure room in Thor 1. The Tesseract is the Space Gem. The gem in Loki's invasion staff could be the Mind Gem(seems odd that Thanos would just give it away. But it reaaaally seems like the Mind Gem.) The Aether is either the Reality Gem or the Power Gem. If Malekith was destroying the 9 worlds then it's probably Power. If he was warping the 9 worlds to become the Dark World I'd guess it was the Reality Gem.

Marvel has said that Guardians of the Galaxy is set 200 years in the future. So I think it's a safe bet to say that the Time Gem will be an object of desire for that film. And maybe the Guardians will steal the gem The Collector has.