Escape to the Movies: Thor: The Dark World

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Eh, I never understood the concept of "breathing room"... Or rather, I do understand needing moments of silence, and letting the weight of a scene carry out, I just don't seem to be bothered by it when people complain about stuff like this, as well as the season 3 finale of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic needing "breathing room", when I think it worked fine as is. Either way, some people seem to be very critical of it, but I had a damn good time. Probably as good a time as I had watching The Avengers, though like Bob said, this movie isn't nearly as good as that one.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
revjor said:
The difference is that comic books can't rely on ABC to run a marathon leading up to A2 and A3. Once Avengers 2 rolls around you can bet your butt Disney is gonna make it happen. Now with Netflix getting 4 shows and a miniseries you'll probably see some sort of presentation of all the MCU content at the appropriate time. Marathoning Netflix is something everyday people love to do nowadays.
But that sort of thing can only go so far, and people only have so much time. Iron Man, The Incredibly Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy. That's 10 films that need to be seen before Avengers 2, which would mean pretty much an entire day of uninterrupted viewing. You really think many people are going to be willing to watch even that much, let alone add in another 5 years worth of films to it in the future? And don't forget Spiderman, the X-Men and the Fantastic 4, which all have their own separate series to follow and which many hope will eventually join a single continuity.

trty00 said:
A big difference that makes it remarkably more convenient however is wikipedia. You can't look up solo issues of comics, but you can look up separate and individual films. It's also not as if there's tons of info that predates the internet. Literally everything you could possibly want to know about these films can be found on the web. And, odds are, the MCU won't REALLY start branching off for years to come, and they'll likely still be following relatively linear paths for quite some time. While the issue of existing lore is present, I don't see the problem being totally unmanageable.
You may not be able to look up every single comic issue, but you can still get a good overview of the various stories and characters easily enough. The trouble is, that's not really the point. The vast majority of the movie-going public are not comic geeks. Very few of them will be willing to do hours of research into the background of a film they're going to watch. And that's ignoring the very big problem that simply reading a plot summary on Wikipedia is not at all the same as actually watching a film. A well written film makes you feel an actual connection to the characters. A couple of paragraphs of text that don't even let you know what they look like really doesn't.

Ultimately, it's not about what's possible. It's possible for people to go back and watch all the films. It's possible for them to research it all so they at least know what happened in them. But very few people will ever do either of those things. Hell, very few of them would even be aware that such a thing could ever even be necessary. They just want to see an entertaining film. If they're told they won't enjoy it without doing a load of work first, or if they think that based on previous experience, they'll simply go and see something else.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
i know relatively little about the marvel universe so can someone explain why the bad guys are "Dark Elves".
I wonder why because there doesn't seem to be any "normal" elves

chibby

Aug 31, 2009
We went to see it non-3D.Half of the crew I go to see these big blockbusters HATE 3D and the rest of us are pretty impartial. I think the regular version was fine although I noticed it was a bit drab. I think that was intentional keeping with the whole "Dark World" theme. The film had a lot of good belly chuckles, maybe even more than Avengers. I agree that the villain was kind of one-note,but,every concept has been done to death in cinema at this point, it really can't be helped.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Kahani said:
revjor said:
The difference is that comic books can't rely on ABC to run a marathon leading up to A2 and A3. Once Avengers 2 rolls around you can bet your butt Disney is gonna make it happen. Now with Netflix getting 4 shows and a miniseries you'll probably see some sort of presentation of all the MCU content at the appropriate time. Marathoning Netflix is something everyday people love to do nowadays.
But that sort of thing can only go so far, and people only have so much time. Iron Man, The Incredibly Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy. That's 10 films that need to be seen before Avengers 2, which would mean pretty much an entire day of uninterrupted viewing. You really think many people are going to be willing to watch even that much, let alone add in another 5 years worth of films to it in the future? And don't forget Spiderman, the X-Men and the Fantastic 4, which all have their own separate series to follow and which many hope will eventually join a single continuity.
I don't think people will spend 10 hours on Netflix. I KNOW they will. They already do. Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, House of Cards have made sure of that. I don't think you realize how many people's main form of entertainment is their TV/Netflix/Roku or DVR. Marathon viewing is a thing. Add a splash page and auto play to a Marvel playlist and it'll work like gangbusters. Watching 10 movies by Summer 2015 is not some Herculean task.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Movie bob needs to stop with his fake Boston accent. I can't watch these reviews anymore the gimmck is so annoying.

Seems to be an awesome movie based on the comments. I'll have to check it out.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
K12 said:
Is the giant laser canoes thing a real because that might be my new favourite thing in the world.
In the movie? Yes...

I left the movie with only one question (well, two, but one of them is one most people seem to have... so...) What the hell happened to Odin between Loki's return and the ending with Thor?

Editing to add:
Dansen said:
Movie bob needs to stop with his fake Boston accent. I can't watch these reviews anymore the gimmck is so annoying.
Uh, I'm pretty sure he is actually from Boston... I used to watch his stuff back when he was only on Youtube, and he's always at least claimed to be from Boston...

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
http://bigthink.com/against-the-new-taboo/3-insulting-things-about-thor-the-dark-world

That is very close to what I think of this movie, I would disagree in regards with the villan, he was trying to revive his civilization, but we never get a clear picture of what it was or why it should be brought back thus is hard to care.