Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
So the movie turned out EXACTLY as it looked in all the previews? Noted, and I can't fathom why anyone is surprised. It was pretty obvious how things were going to play out, especially if you are familiar with how good the first movie is. There is simply no way to translate that into the travesty of modern day cinema.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I just got back from seeing the movie, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes, the continuous homages to the original film were fast and occasionally furious, but they didn't do much to detract from the movie, except maybe the three-titted hooker. Still, it was a funny gag.

I would say this film was like a visual metaphor of a roller coaster. The tension and pacing builds as you reach the crest, with a decently paced action scene in the place of the downhill plunge.

Also, while the setting was difference, the consequences for failure were the same as the original. To quote Carlos Mencia, if Quaid fails, "Everybody dies!" Also, while some people might try to read into the class disparity of the setting as yet another "We are the 99%!" commentary, the class disparity angle has been used in the distopian apocalypse scenario so many times, it's like reading it out of the instructions lego building set. It just IS. Deal with it.

All that being said; yes, what will be remembered most from this movie will be the bits taken from the first film, and the over-the-top action and chase scenes, which is about 90% of the film. But, really, when you've taken that trip across the country, the things you remember most are the bits that happened on the road and around it.

In conclusion...is it worth $10+ to go see this movie? Eh, probably not, unless you're a fan for some other reason. Is it worth seeing for $5-$7? Very much so.

AxelxGabriel said:
Sorry, but if there's no Mars, then there's no point.

Why?

Because then there's no "GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!!!"
Yeah, but they could have used "Get your ass to Oz(Aus)!"

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MortisLegio said:
To be fair if they're basing Starship Troopers off the book instead of the movie it should be pretty good. The movies were supposed to be a satirical take on the book so if they made one that was serious (with its powered armor, and nuclear bombs) then it should be interesting.
Unfortunately the book SUCKS; it's boring, depressing, and disgustingly jingoistic. Its themes have not aged well and its not one of Heinlein's best. Playing it straight would be bland at best or give unfortunate implications at worst.

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Hi Bob, liked your review but the movie isnt as bad as you make it out to be - just as long as you dont go into it with any expectations. I agree though that it got a bit boring in spots but it had better pacing then most movies of this genre generally do. IMHO watch this at the cinema or not at all, I'm betting that it will lose alot of punch on the small screen when its comes to DVD.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I might see this in about two weeks...

...two weeks...

...Two wEEks...

...Twwwwwooo Weeeeeeeeeeeks...

I'd rather watch an episode of Sea Quest while playing Splinter Cell...too much is not enough Ironside.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm going to hazard a guess that this particular episode was composited of an unusually large number of takes, and thus the varying levels of accent.

No problem with the content of the review itself, however- I'm hearing "boring" out of a lot of other critics' mouths as well, so I'd hardly leap to call it a case of bias.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Aw yeah. Boston Bob is back. I think you should contrive a reason to do a split personality character just to make use of that sexy accent and your broadcast voice.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Nice video but there?s one thing I disagree with luigi isn?t a fox he?s a kitsune look it up and you understand.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I have to say, Bob's list of what summer movies were great, flawed, and terrible made me most skeptical towards the rest of the review.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
I went to see this yesterday, as usual completely disregarding Bob's assessment, and it's not a bad movie. However, nothing about it is good enough to justify it's existence. It doesn't do anything significant better enough than the 1990 version to make it worth watching. It's just more expensive, and not quite as fun. If this looks good to you, I highly recommend that you watch Arnold again instead.

Unnecessary remakes are becoming a depressing trend.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Strain42 said:
Aiddon said:
Strain42 said:
I didn't see the most important of questions addressed in this movie.

Does the remake have the 3 boobed chick?

...Seriously, that's all I wanna know.
Yes, but you don't see full frontal with her. That's another stupid thing is that they made this a PG-13.
That made me happy...and then angry...and now just angry :p

I'm gonna go now. The internet is no place to be randomly angry over trivial matters.
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Aiddon said:
Strain42 said:
I didn't see the most important of questions addressed in this movie.

Does the remake have the 3 boobed chick?

...Seriously, that's all I wanna know.
Yes, but you don't see full frontal with her. That's another stupid thing is that they made this a PG-13.
Oh what? Bullshit! Thats the only thing anyone really remembers about the original. Why would you do a thing like that?

I don't know what movie Aiddon saw, but the 3-boobed chick is in there, and yes they give you a frontal shot.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I am not at all surprised.
No, I take that back. The fact that there is an elevator shaft straight through the planet surprises the hell out of me. I cannot Flat What hard enough.

Also, to be fair, the First Class sequel is, as far as I have heard, simply subtitled Days of Future Past. I'm cynical enough to assume the plot will be completely unrelated.

Also also:
<youtube=nVvA_nErFcA>

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
DVS BSTrD said:
I guess the schwartz really wasn't with them. All I can say about this film is: Thanks for the mammaries.

And your accent was coming through wicked thick in this review Bob.
Yeah, this is the most his Boston accent has ever come out in video...

Not nescessarily a bad thing btw...

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
Moviebob, please choose an accent and stick with it! Who do you think you are, Kevin Costner in "Prince of Thieves"?

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Wait its "Against the Rules" to compare a remake to the original?

Lies....and Bullshit...

If you go and remake a movie...and the old one had a good standard and was awesome...then damn straight you can...