Escape to the Movies: Transcendence - SkyNet? More Like SkyNot

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Ok I have been wanting to know what that Virtuosity movie was for the longest time after I saw 3 minutes of it on TV years ago. THANK YOU, Bob.

I'm starting to wonder if these were the same Luddites that Spider-man fought in the "Planet of the Symbiotes" comic. They used incredibly high-tech weapons because they believed the devil's arms work well against the devil's hands. Guess hypocrisy has justifications all over.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I love dumb movies that have no pretensions of being anything more than that. And I love genuinely smart movies. But I can't stand a dumb movie that thinks it's smart, and especially one that wastes so much stellar talent. Staying as far away from this as I can.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I am very pleased with this reaction to the movie, I only hope more people act this way. I saw the trailer for this movie in the cinemas, and I knew immediately it was going to be stupid, and that I was going to root for the 'bad guy'.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Johnny Depp was seriously headed toward becoming the next Cary Grant. I don't know if it would have ushered in a new age of romantic comedy adventure, as Romancing the Stone started to do and then turned around sealed the tomb behind it with The Jewel of the Nile. But with Depp, it's like he's either picking fearfully screwed up projects or finding new ways to screw up ones that are all right to begin with. Some sort of weird career suicide going on here. Been a lot of that going around, lots of promising young talent ending up marginalized or six feet under. Sign of the times.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Bob, I love you I really do, but of all the people to be complaining that someone else is "stupid but thinks they're smart because they read a coupe of books".

Yeah the film looks and sounds pretty goddamn terrible but seriously people in glass houses man.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
It's a shame, because I really liked this premise, but I knew this wasn't going to be any good. How, you ask? Because Morgan Freeman is in it.

He's a great actor but 95% of the time, if he's in your movie, it's a sign that it will be forgettable at the very best.

He's been in over a hundred films throughout his career and the only ones I can remember being any good are Lego Movie, Dark Night, Shawshank and Seven.

I'm digging that photo of Tony Abbot amongst the other stupid politicians.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Jasper van Heycop said:
Ah, a movie with Johnny Depp that Bob hates, guess what this guy is watching ASAP...

Yeah, it really has gotten to the point that Moviebob hating something sounds like a glowing recommendation to me.

Can't wait for Ms Doubtfire 2 actually, so I think your answer is this: There are people who want to watch it.
So, out of spite, you'll willingly pay to watch horrible movies?

Have you ever considered doing something more productive with your money? Giving it to charity, buying a homeless guy a meal, buying some games off of GOG, giving it to me, all of these things would probably be a more constructive use of your cash than this.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
Really shaky intro here, Bob, railing against egotistical assholes unaware of their own ignorance and then merrily blowing past a perfectly valid interpretation of a film and condemning it out of hand by assigning your own prejudices and deeming them the Word of God.

Pull up a chair and consider an alternate interpretation, full of spoilers, so be wary.

What if RIFT is not meant to be the protagonist? They certainly aren't portrayed in a very positive light. Their default tactics are various flavors of murder and they have less interest in establishing an active dialogue than Al Qaeda, they lack the ability to self-scrutinize to the point where the very basic principle that violent action begets violent counter-action (i.e hastening the singularity that all quailed at the though of), and to top it all off, are lead by a young woman who swiftly goes from well-intentioned extremist to the crazy-face sister of the hypocrite liberal girl meme. RIFT are almost unthinking, absolutely illogical and a representation of some of the very worse biological response humanity has to offer. Why name them the heroes? The movie portrays them very clearly, and quite frankly unashamedly, because they exist, they exist in every reactionary twitch against GMOs, every Fox newsworthy tirade proclaiming that a woman's body can prevent pregnancy during rape, every man or woman who thinks strapping on a bomb and targeting a civilian installation will somehow overthrow an oppressive regime. RIFT is a totem for the worst of mankind's behavior, the responses and actions driven by fear, at times somewhat justified, at times utterly blind, but all rooted in a common terror of the unknown, the new, and the uncontrollable.

Contrast this with the scientists you dub the antagonist, a married couple driven to the extraordinary by extraordinary circumstances. Isn't it extraordinary, that it's not some power hungry man or group that spawns this immense leap in AI technology, but the love of a woman and friend working to save the colleague they both loved? In fact, we can blame love for most of the major events both the human and synthetic elements precipitate. That AI, far from sinister, far from deeming humanity some pox to be scoured away, pursues every last single action because it believes it is fulfilling the desire of the one individual it was beholden to, that it loved, a love not defined by biochemical exchange or biological imperative, but by the recognition of value, the understanding that it values this person, and even if said persons emotional impulses and reactions seem incomprehensible, they are still of value and worthy of evaluation and even resultant self-modification. It's the difference between compassionate and companionate affection and the basis for most long-lasting, healthy relationships.

This AI never kills a single individual (with the possible exception of a couple soldiers attempting to kill it), and offers to cure the ails of any given person so long as they can accept an autonomous, but networked existence. Now there's plenty of room for ethical debate here. Is it robbing these individuals of their humanity, their identity, their basic sapience? After all, it's proven that he can override their impulses at any given moment to fulfill a specific purpose. And yet at the same time, once disconnected from the AI's network, such an individual is hardly grateful, and hardly full of stories of the black, abysmal, soulless terror on the other side. Rather, knowing he's on the cusp of death, he begs to be reconnected, a far cry from the vision of hell espoused by RIFT's leader (a monkey, hooked up to a similar machine, screaming and screaming). Yet never once, does RIFT or the greater portion of shown humanity associated with them, stop to parley, to draw terms at what is and is not acceptable. Rather, in fear, they lash out. Hell, even the once-man-now-AI's wife succumbs to the fear of a being she no longer fully comprehends, she fails to explain or enumerate on those feelings, reacting instead on impulse. And the AI lets her leave. No HAL, no GLADOS, it just lets her leave.

And your "hero's" last ditch effort to slay the "evil" AI? Pump its lover full of a virus and then send her off in the hopes that it'll kill itself trying to save her life? Hardly the noble, fucking option. Perhaps it isn't meant to be. The AI's response? Far from an almost well-deserved at this point world ending shebang, it sees the dagger, recognizes the irrationality of the human motivation behind it, and still acquiesces to that idiot, emotional response. Saving what it can, a single moment suspended with its wife, and willingly submitting to death and releasing its hold on the humans it healed in the process. Would you decry its choice as illogical? In a certain light, an organism taking any action that knowingly threatens its survival and growth is illogical. And by another view, coming to grips with the realization that some intangible things are of more worth than biological and evolutionary imperatives is a much higher expression of logic.

By this interpretation, I can deem this movie a rather lovely thing to watch with a rather potent, and beautiful message. Sure the science was soft enough to spread on toast, but a sci-fi film driven more by emotion and message rather than spectacle, has every right to be quite soft. And no fucker who worships at the altar of Star Wars and/or Star Trek has a safe place to stand and condemn it. There's a place for a marriage of hard sci-fi and hard message, but a book provides a far better medium than a film in that instance. So there's my review, I quite liked it, but then again, I loved the Fountain, different strokes for different folks, eh? My interpretation has no more intrinsic merit than Bob's, but it seems sound and in harmony with the data provided and at least I can pull it out and examine it without smothering myself in a thick, sticky layer of cynicism beforehand, so I've got that going for me.

This community has the oddest love/hate relationship with now popular phrase, "Check your privilege."

Here's a better one, "Check your conceit."

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
Under_your_bed said:
I think John Cleese explains it nicely...

Also, I recently finished replaying Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and if you want a halfway intelligent and reasonable debate on "Is human Augmentation and Artificial intelligence a good thing?", I suggest doing the same instead.
I got another piece of media that actually explores the topic of transhumanism well: Ghost in the Shell. The series is just as renowned in it's circles as Deus Ex for the exploration of transhumanism on politics, human interactions, law, and even the concept of what it means to be human (Stand Alone Complex's Tachikomas are a great example of this)

Serioulsy, if someone made an american version of Ghost in the Shell (yes, I know there are two Ghost movies already but I'm talking about American cinema, I'd watch it in a heartbeat.

Instead, we get stupid, Welcome to Hollywood.

Edit: interesting question, why is the "science is evil" thing still around? it's not the 14th century and the USA has produced numerous advances in medicine, energy, computing and so on. So why is it that the trope is still around like this.
Because one of the laziest tropes in fiction writing is fear of the unknown, and science is the perpetual exploration of the unknown. The other laziest trope in that vein is religion; and if you want to get REALLY lazy, just mash the two together. That kind of schlock practically writes itself.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Izanagi009 said:
Why is the "science is evil" thing still around?
I would like to say it's because this movie is about transcending humanity, and since humanity is the very basis for anyone's identity, someone who transcends humanity has to also transcend his own identity; in effect, the person he was dies and some new creature, possibly not even a person as we understand the term, will take that human's place. Transcendence of humanity is nearly indistinguishable from death.

That answer probably gives too much credit, though. The real answer is probably more in the vein of, "America has drones and I'm scared of drones, so science is bad."

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
Sounds like yet another anti-intellectual "science gone wrong" sci-fi movie that's been around since the 50s. We get it, change is scary. Find some way to do it that doesn't promote the same kind of mindset as the anti-vaccination crowd.

Considering how insanely powerful an actual GAI would be, I'm not surprised Hollywood won't touch a more realistic interpretation though. It turns out something that upgrades itself and runs on timescales of millions of thoughts a minute would finish doing whatever the hell it wanted by the end of the day. A computer just thinks too fast for us to interact with an AI that's escaped.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
So, I watched the first post video stinger, and heard myself think, "Please, don't let this be the week Bob starts doing two stingers, just like Marvel" and clicked away before the second one.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
MCerberus said:
So dumb premise, bad execution, high opinion of itself, and NANOBOTS?

This movie appears to be a somehow worse version of Chriton's "Sphere"
Pffft Sphere was fkn awesome.

Anyone know when movie bob got so angry?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah that was my reaction to hearing about Mrs. Doubtfire 2 as well. And WTF is going to be the plot? Is he going to have to dress up as Mrs. Doubtfire in order to see his grandkids because reasons?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if this movie is on the same level as Prometheus then it HAS to be bad.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
CronoT said:
Because one of the laziest tropes in fiction writing is fear of the unknown, and science is the perpetual exploration of the unknown. The other laziest trope in that vein is religion; and if you want to get REALLY lazy, just mash the two together. That kind of schlock practically writes itself.
Pretty much this. "Brilliant and eccentric scientist has the keys to a new technology that could change the face of medicine, or warfare, or communication or whatever, and is helped by an insightful and spiritual person who, largely in order to appease the egoes of the believers in the audience, has to be wearing a cross. Brilliant scientist goes off the bends, and Spiritual Person saves the day, proving once again that Progress is of the Devil and that Faith has all the answers you'll ever need.

That'll be 7,45$ or 12,56$ for the 3D viewing, plus your popcorn. Don't forget to watch Fox News!"

This shit has been going on forever, as far as HP Lovecraft's own opinions on science, actually. He was seriously worried about the implications of the Theory of Relativity, the same way some nutjobs were worried about what the CERN would do to the globe once it would fire its Large Hadron Collider.

Besides, most of those who will go see Transcendance won't even remember The Lawnmower Man or Virtuosity.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
MCerberus said:
So dumb premise, bad execution, high opinion of itself, and NANOBOTS?
This movie appears to be a somehow worse version of Chriton's "Sphere"
God, why did you remind me of Sphere? That movie sucked something fierce, and I have just enough of a memory of it that I remember being disappointed by it. That was Aliens, though, if I remember correctly.

OT: I had high hopes for this, but if nothing else, it probably makes the Genius of Christopher Nolan much stronger than expected, which means Dark Knight Rises issues are more with its script than anything else.

Oh well, Interstellar should make up for it, so I'm excited for that, and if nothing else, I haven't seen Captain America 2 yet.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
GabeZhul said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
MovieBob said:
Transcendence - SkyNet? More Like SkyNot

Transcendence is a movie that's trying really, really hard to be smart, but ultimately comes across more insulting instead.

Watch Video
BIG GRIPE: Polio has NOT been cured. Widespread vaccination has made it a basically non-issue in the modern developed world. BUT people in the developing and un-developed world still get it (Anti-Vaccination crowd, good luck fighting this off by eating dirt - you're playing Russian Roulette). ALSO, those lucky enough to have survived Polio, can have a relapse - POST POLIO SYNDROME - if their immune system is compromised due to subsequent illness, excessive physical/emotional stress, auto-immune disorders, old age, etc., or just because. All those people that got it in the epidemic in the 50's and lived through it can, and do, relapse.

The Polio virus is like Chicken Pox. You get over it but it NEVER leaves your body. If your immune system is compromised it can relapse as Shingles. To reiterate, Polio DOES NOT have a cure (like certain pox, HSV, HPV, etc.). It has a vaccination to prevent you from getting it. If you do get it, the BEST you can hope for is to live through it without permanent paralysis.

Secondary Gripe: Hey Virtuosity was cool (no need to wink to the point of a nervous tick, or whiplash, or ruining your own joke - we got the reference). Jim should do an MDF on it. But yah, I could tell just from the trailers this was going to be pseudo-intellectual garbage. A big-budget Lawnmower Man with none of the fun.
Small addendum: Actually, I don't know the current stats, but I remember there were reports of local polio outbreaks in 2009, in the UK of all places, in areas where their anti-vaccination retards were especially active. The UK actually had (and AFAIK still has) a very active anti-vaccination group that might not have the star-power of US anti-vac nuts, but are much more active on the municipal level, and as we (hopefully) all know, just getting the immunization rates under 90% is generally enough to make the population lose the benefits of herd immunity, and then the really nasty stuff is right around the corner.

Also, according to studies we could have actually made the Polio virus extinct in nature (similarly to smallpox) by 2010 if not for the anti-vaccination movement and the retarded conspiracy theorists and/or fundamentalist Christians in African countries who publicly campaigned against people vaccinating their kids.

We live in a fucked up world, my friends... -.-'
Deimir said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
MovieBob said:
Transcendence - SkyNet? More Like SkyNot

Transcendence is a movie that's trying really, really hard to be smart, but ultimately comes across more insulting instead.

Watch Video
BIG GRIPE: Polio has NOT been cured. Widespread vaccination has made it a basically non-issue in the modern developed world. BUT people in the developing and un-developed world still get it (Anti-Vaccination crowd, good luck fighting this off by eating dirt - you're playing Russian Roulette). ALSO, those lucky enough to have survived Polio, can have a relapse - POST POLIO SYNDROME - if their immune system is compromised due to subsequent illness, excessive physical/emotional stress, auto-immune disorders, old age, etc., or just because. All those people that got it in the epidemic in the 50's and lived through it can, and do, relapse.

The Polio virus is like Chicken Pox. You get over it but it NEVER leaves your body. If your immune system is compromised it can relapse as Shingles. To reiterate, Polio DOES NOT have a cure (like certain pox, HSV, HPV, etc.). It has a vaccination to prevent you from getting it. If you do get it, the BEST you can hope for is to live through it without permanent paralysis.

Secondary Gripe: Hey Virtuosity was cool (no need to wink to the point of a nervous tick, or whiplash, or ruining your own joke - we got the reference). Jim should do an MDF on it. But yah, I could tell just from the trailers this was going to be pseudo-intellectual garbage. A big-budget Lawnmower Man with none of the fun.

While I feel your pain, it's much easier to say 'cured' in conversation than 'widespread vaccination has made it a basically non-issue in the modern developed world.' On the plus side, anyone intelligent enough to know the difference between the two would most likely understand that one means the latter when saying the former.
You're certainly right that is easier to say "cured" than "developed a vaccine for". One could say just say "vaccinated" I guess. And it's certainly possible that is what Bob intended. But there are so many people that truly think diseases like this are cured, and will vehemently argue when you tell them they are not. My grandfather has Post Polio Syndrome, relapsing after having survived cancer (yah he's been trhough some sh*t in his life). I've been accused of lying by people who say the disease is cured. So, I've been in enough such conversations that I really don't think I can just assume they mean "vaccinated" when they say "cured". More often than not, the people I've talked to have actually meant what they said.

Maybe sacrificing accuracy for ease in conversation has become so common-place that people have begun to take it literally. So it innocently gets repeated simply because people just don't know any better, through no fault of their own. Ah, at the very least, if anyone in forum land was to think there is a cure, they know that there isn't, I guess.

I don't mean to sound argumentative or confrontational, as it isn't my intention to be. I hope my response doesn't come accross that way. It's just a pet peave, you know?